Most number of D-1A recruits from a single team

jbwill2

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 1990 Trinity team was loaded. This is considered by many to be the best team ever in the state of Kentucky. 15 scholarships and 2 preferred walk-ons*. I may have forgotten some players…

RICKY BOECKMAN – P – WKU

CHRIS BOTNER* – C – U of L

DEVIAN LOGAN – DB – Villanova

LEON SMITH – WR – UK

JAMIE ROBERTS – RB – MTSU

JOE BABEY – LB – Notre Dame

BEN FOOS – DT – Notre Dame

BRYAN RADER – LB – Southern Illinois

BRIAN HAYDEN* – OT – U of L

MIKE LALLY – RB – ARMY

JOE MICATROTTO – TE – WKU

MIKE PADON – OT – WKU

BRIAN BAKER – LB – NAVY

RONALD HARDIN – RB – Notre Dame

BRIAN HEINEN – WR – Ohio State

GREG SUMA – C – NAVY

BRAD LAMPLEY – OT – UT

I can think of eight D-1 players(no wku,g-town,eku, etc. included) off the top of my head that played on the 1997 St.X state championship team.I need to double check an old roster because I may be leaving out a player or two. If so that team may have the most ever on one team. Justin Haydock-UK,Bernard Jackson-Tenn.,Chris Sheehan-UK& BC or ND,Chip Mattingly-UL,Will Rabatin-UL,Matt Huff-UK,Phil Mettling-BC,Ben Boscher-Penn St. I will double check and circle back.

Chris beat cancer and is now a Louisville Police Officer...... I get to fight most of the rookies as part of their training. They have to fight me for 3 minutes.....let's just say that I was the one wishing for that 3 minutes to be over....he is the only rookie that I have fought in the past 8 years that had me worried about getting knocked out.....Man that guy is strong!

This thread reminded me of the 1976 Moeller team with 40 players receiving scholarships (another starter, Bill Long ended up pitching for the Chicago White Sox) There were 21 players in 1976 and 19 in 1977. Also on that team was a sophmore TE Tony Hunter who went on to Notre Dame and Buffalo Bills.

I know they are not a Bluegrass team but they play alot of the Kentucky schools.

MSJ: Hard to count some of those Lex Cath guys. Klint Rose was a walk on who never panned out and left Marshall not long after going to school there. Ryan Postel went to ND on academic and track money. However he did walk onto the football team his second year there and lasted I think 1 year before the coaching change, but never received any ND football scholarship money. Dane Holland never panned out at Marshall and didn't stay long. Not to say that none of these guys didn't do some outstanding things at Lex Cath, but from a college football standpoint, a cup of coffee was about all these guys had and where never really in the football loop at that level.

The 1990 Trinity team was loaded. This is considered by many to be the best team ever in the state of Kentucky. 15 scholarships and 2 preferred walk-ons*. I may have forgotten some players…

RICKY BOECKMAN – P – WKU

CHRIS BOTNER* – C – U of L

DEVIAN LOGAN – DB – Villanova

LEON SMITH – WR – UK

JAMIE ROBERTS – RB – MTSU

JOE BABEY – LB – Notre Dame

BEN FOOS – DT – Notre Dame

BRYAN RADER – LB – Southern Illinois

BRIAN HAYDEN* – OT – U of L

MIKE LALLY – RB – ARMY

JOE MICATROTTO – TE – WKU

MIKE PADON – OT – WKU

BRIAN BAKER – LB – NAVY

RONALD HARDIN – RB – Notre Dame

BRIAN HEINEN – WR – Ohio State

GREG SUMA – C – NAVY

BRAD LAMPLEY – OT – UT

Interesting post. I intend to research this issue someday when I have time.:lol: That team was an undefeated state 4A champion. However, they won four games by 8 points or less, including Waggener (twice) and Doss. The Doss team was 5-5 and lost one game 34-7.

Interesting post. I intend to research this issue someday when I have time.:lol: That team was an undefeated state 4A champion. However, they won four games by 8 points or less, including Waggener (twice) and Doss. The Doss team was 5-5 and lost one game 34-7.

Were those Bobby Redman coached Waggener teams? If so, they were a different breed of Cat back in those days. Its really not that unusual to see a very talented team underacheive some games yet do enough to win.

Were those Bobby Redman coached Waggener teams? If so, they were a different breed of Cat back in those days. Its really not that unusual to see a very talented team underacheive some games yet do enough to win.

Indeed, that was a Bobby Redmon coached team. And, you are correct that Waggener was a different breed of Cat in those days. However, Doss, whom Trinity defeated 20-12 in 1990, was still a 5-5 team. All I was pointing out is that the team that RunFirst posited as considered by many the best team ever in Kentucky won four games by eight points or less, including Waggener twice. That may make Waggener the second-best team in Kentucky history, and few would argue that assertion.

The 2000 State Champion Male High team had:

Montrell Jones (Tenn./UL)

Mike Bush (UL)

Marcus Green (Ohio St.)

Matt Sanders (UL)

Casey Shumate (UK)

Todd Flannery (UL)

Sergio Spencer (UL)

Chris Barclay (Wake Forrest)

Stephen Garr (UL)

Cory Farris (Murray St.)

Off the top of my head for Boyle I would say 2000 was their best representative.

Louisville

Travis Leffew (Senior)

Kentucky

Taylor Begley (Senior)

Jacob Tamme (soph hurt that season)

Wake Forest

Brodie Overstreet (soph)

Eastern 1-AA

Miller (Senior)

A few others that went to smaller schools like Mr. Football Jeff Duggins.

On the 1999 team they had the same players you listed, and you can add Bobby Leffew to the Louisville list. Also there was a coach named Smith thats at Kentucky now. We where blessed with some good people :thumb:

Indeed, that was a Bobby Redmon coached team. And, you are correct that Waggener was a different breed of Cat in those days. However, Doss, whom Trinity defeated 20-12 in 1990, was still a 5-5 team. All I was pointing out is that the team that RunFirst posited as considered by many the best team ever in Kentucky won four games by eight points or less, including Waggener twice. That may make Waggener the second-best team in Kentucky history, and few would argue that assertion.

20-12 for the first game of the season by a veer oriented team on the road sounds about right. The most important thing to remember - they won all the games against. Waggener, X, Boone, Warren Central, etc…stiff competition. Waggener was indeed 10-2. Trinity was able to beat that team twice in the same season, something the best team from last year :rolleyes: could not accomplish. In fact, they where 42-0 by the end of the season winning their 3rd straight title. This team is considered by many (note: this does not mean all) to be the best in Kentucky history. :p

20-12 for the first game of the season by a veer oriented team on the road sounds about right. The most important thing to remember - they won all the games against. Waggener, X, Boone, Warren Central, etc…stiff competition. Waggener was indeed 10-2. Trinity was able to beat that team twice in the same season, something the best team from last year :rolleyes: could not accomplish. In fact, they where 42-0 by the end of the season winning their 3rd straight title. This team is considered by many (note: this does no t mean all) to be the best in Kentucky history. :p

Seven of the fourteen teams "the team considered by many to be the best in Kentucky history" played that year came within two touchdowns of "the greatest". One of those teams was 5-5, the other 5-4 (and one forfeit win).`This is a reatively lackluster record to be acclaimed the greatest. Sometimes our heart and our feelings get in the way of reality and statistics. :lol:

As to the non sequitor ""something the best team from last year..."comment, relax. Not every observation about a team not being the greatest ever is an attack on the school. Remember my Copernicus rule: the universe doesn't revolve around your favorite school. ;)

Remember my Copernicus rule: the universe doesn't revolve around your favorite school. ;)

True but we are a tad bit removed from the era of Copernicus. Didn't you know of the recent findings that showed Trinity to be the actual center of the universe? :D:p