Stevie Wonder, Bruce Springsteen and others say they won't perform in Florida...

All Tell

The "legitimate functions of law enforcement" aren't to keep an eye on my property or those of my neighbors on a routine basis. Unfortunately, many/most law enforcement actions are "reactive"...something has happened and they respond. If I want to help ensure my home and my neighborhood are better watched after and help deter un wanted persons and or un wanted actions, then that's up to me and the neighborhood at large.

I say one is being vigilant (keenly alert to or heedful of trouble or danger, as while others are sleeping or unsuspicious) when doing this. Being vigilant and being a vigilante are two very separate things.

So wouldn't that make GZ's action one of vigilantism which is all Habib said? The word 'vigilant'(which you say GZ was) is in the word 'vigilantism'. How can his actions be described in a word that has 'ism' added to the end of it but it isn't a form of it?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Furthermore, I think there are legitimate concerns about the laws in question in that they seem to legitimate some types of reckless behavior. I don't have any problem with self-defense. I question the prudence of a law that could allow someone to be an instigator and then be immune from responsibility so long as they reasonably believe harm is imminent. That appears dangerously broad.

Even though SYG was not used as a defense for Zimmerman, if someone is on top of you beating you and threatening to kill you, can you reasonably believe harm is imminent?

Are there a back log of cases where SYG was used so loosely as you're implying? Before this case, I haven't heard of SYG as being a problem, so if you can give me some information that I have missed I would greatly appreciate it.

So wouldn't that make GZ's action one of vigilantism which is all Habib said? The word 'vigilant'(which you say GZ was) is in the word 'vigilantism'. How can his actions be described in a word that has 'ism' added to the end of it but it isn't a form of it?
I don't know that following someone that looks suspicious advocates the taking of law enforcement into one's own hands. I will admit that I didn't follow the case real closely. Did Zimmerman try to detain Martin or place him under citizens arrest? I honestly don't recall if it was established that he tried to do either or not.

I don't know that following someone that looks suspicious advocates the taking of law enforcement into one's own hands. I will admit that I didn't follow the case real closely. Did Zimmerman try to detain Martin or place him under citizens arrest? I honestly don't recall if it was established that he tried to do either or not.

Too hard to say with definite proof. There is a period of time that is unaccounted for so it is truly hard to accurately say how the events of that night unfolded.

...until the "Stand your Ground" law is repealed. I wonder if they will take this stand in the 20 something other states that also have these kind of laws or are they just being hypocritical attention prostitutes and riding a wave of publicity generated by the Zimmerman verdict?

Bruce is working towards irrelevancy and Stevie is already there.

The two words have two totally separate definitions, so no they aren't the same, though yes one is derived form the other.

1. I watch a "suspicious" man out by my mailbox who may or may not be casing my house. He fits the description of someone who has reportedly raped a young girl in town. I watch him, he moves on up the neighborhood, I go outside to observe him, make sure he's not doing something he shouldn't be, call the police dept and report his actions and describe him and the situation. I may even have my gun by my side, especially since I have young girls in the house. I'm being vigilant.

2. I watch a "suspicious" man out by my mailbox who may or may not be casing my house. He fits the description of someone who has reportedly raped a young girl in town. I run outside and blow the guys head off with my shotgun. I am now a "vigilante".

Two very different things.

I should also add, in being vigilant I could find myself in a situation where I'm being confronted and need to protect myself. But that would not make me a vigilante.

Are you serious or just being facetious?

Once again the only thing you can believe on the Internet is when someone says they are a French Model. Before going off on various artists why not investigate to see whether it is true that they will not play in Florida? Or just go on thinking anything someone throws out on the Internet is true.

Once again the only thing you can believe on the Internet is when someone says they are a French Model. Before going off on various artists why not investigate to see whether it is true that they will not play in Florida? Or just go on thinking anything someone throws out on the Internet is true.

Exactly. I've been asking for confirmation since I joined the thread and all I get is arguments about vigilantism and who is or isn't relevant.

Dead serious. If being vigilant while armed and following suspicious looking characters isn't a form of vigilantism I sure as hell don't know what is.

Nevermind that he killed him in the process.

The two words are not the same. Yes they both come from the word vigil but they do not hold the same meaning. Come on, I know you know this.

Vigilant - an adjective - meaning to keep careful watch for danger or difficulties

Vigilante - a noun - meaning someone who takes or advocates taking the enforcement of the law into their own hands

In Zimmerman's case, you can argue he exhibited both, but it is up for debate. And you certainly can't argue everyone who is vigilant is a vigilante or vice versa.

I used to be a neighborhood watch member. You can bet your house that when I went on patrol, I was vigilant. I was thorough and attentive in keeping watch out for danger. When I saw something out of place that I thought was suspicious, I checked it out. And yes, I knew there was an element of risk involved because in my doing my appointed job, it was possible that if I encountered a bad guy he might be prone to attack me. So I kept a weapon within reach in case I needed it to protect myself.

I was not a vigilante, however, because I did not ever attempt to enforce the law. My job was to observe and watch with specific attention to strangers in my neighborhood. When I encountered something I thought was noteworthy, we were instructed by law enforcement to call it in and describe what we saw while maintaining visual observation. Vigilant, yes. Vigilante, no.