Stevie Wonder, Bruce Springsteen and others say they won't perform in Florida...

All Tell

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not just me.
I get that, but there are millions that hate him. He's no different than any other music act out there in that aspect. Just like you despise certain extremely popular acts, the same goes for Bruce regardless how much his fans love him.

Do I hate him? No. I do put him in the overrated category, though. For me, he's good (sometimes)...just not great.

I get that, but there are millions that hate him. He's no different than any other music act out there in that aspect. Just like you despise certain extremely popular acts, the same goes for Bruce regardless how much his fans love him.

Do I hate him? No. I do put him in the overrated category, though. For me, he's good (sometimes)...just not great.

I probably would have said the same exact thing about five years ago. Now that I've actually listened to all of his albums (and have most of them memorized) and watched him live three times I consider him one of the best artists of all time. Dude is a genius, not some 80s radio hit fad.

The two words are not the same. Yes they both come from the word vigil but they do not hold the same meaning. Come on, I know you know this.

Vigilant - an adjective - meaning to keep careful watch for danger or difficulties

Vigilante - a noun - meaning someone who takes or advocates taking the enforcement of the law into their own hands

In Zimmerman's case, you can argue he exhibited both, but it is up for debate. And you certainly can't argue everyone who is vigilant is a vigilante or vice versa.

I used to be a neighborhood watch member. You can bet your house that when I went on patrol, I was vigilant. I was thorough and attentive in keeping watch out for danger. When I saw something out of place that I thought was suspicious, I checked it out. And yes, I knew there was an element of risk involved because in my doing my appointed job, it was possible that if I encountered a bad guy he might be prone to attack me. So I kept a weapon within reach in case I needed it to protect myself.

I was not a vigilante, however, because I did not ever attempt to enforce the law. My job was to observe and watch with specific attention to strangers in my neighborhood. When I encountered something I thought was noteworthy, we were instructed by law enforcement to call it in and describe what we saw while maintaining visual observation. Vigilant, yes. Vigilante, no.

And after all of this I still believe GZ's actions were a form of vigilantism.

I probably would have said the same exact thing about five years ago. Now that I've actually listened to all of his albums (and have most of them memorized) and watched him live three times I consider him one of the best artists of all time. Dude is a genius, not some 80s radio hit fad.
Again...to you...not to everyone. I think the biggest problem I have with Springsteen is his fans. They think because in their mind he's the greatest thing since sliced bread, everyone should think so. Music doesn't work like that, hence the different styles and genres. There's not a musician alive that reaches everyone and there's nothing wrong with that.

Again...to you...not to everyone. I think the biggest problem I have with Springsteen is his fans. They think because in their mind he's the greatest thing since sliced bread, everyone should think so. Music doesn't work like that, hence the different styles and genres. There's not a musician alive that reaches everyone and there's nothing wrong with that.

Totally agree. I know you're a big music fan, just thought I'd give you a little testimony on why he's worth a second look. No offense meant.

But we don't find out who the Springsteen fans are until he makes a political statement that his fans may or may not agree with but his haters are quick to call his music crap, his political stances crap and his career irrelevant. There is way more Springsteen hate than love in this thread. Your problem is with his fans but his fans didn't start this thread praising him either. Are his fans not allowed to defend him without being insulted?

And after all of this I still believe GZ's actions were a form of vigilantism.
They very well may have been. The measuring stick there is "did he take the law into his own hands?" If he crossed the line into enforcement of the law, then he was a vigilante. Based on what we know, it is debatable and for the record, I haven't made up my mind about it because I don't think I know all the facts.

My only objection was to your contention that vigilant and vigilante is the same thing because the words are similar and derive from the same root word. They are not.