Cordia 2013/2014

Oh, it can be easy to do...it can also get you into a ton of trouble if/when the hammer falls too. I believe most coaches/programs would just rather go about their business and if a LEGITIMATE transfer falls into their lap, then great for them. But most I would say stay away from the "fishy" stuff. Some coaches/programs on the other hand may be /are perfectly willing to push the envelope or down right go over the line. Is Cordia doing that? I guess that's the question of the day. On the face of it there seems to be a lot of circumstantial evidence stuff is going on that at the very least needs to be looked in to. And maybe it is being looked in to and I don't and/or very few know about it, who knows. To me it would be a travesty if it isn't at least looked in to and if everything is above board, great for Cordia and more power to them. If stuff is going on that shouldn't, then the KHSAA should correct it, do what needs to be done and move on to the next thing. And I'm not picking on Cordia, it could be any school in the state and my opinion would be exactly the same, it just so happens this revolves around Cordia right now.

When I said "if it were as easy as you make it sound", I was referring to the original poster's comment that it could be done "with minimal effort".

If the school is 'recruiting' like some have insinuated, yes, I think it would be difficult for an ordinary person to acquire enough disposable income to put into a high school basketball program that's basically built from scratch (especially considering the other things they could be doing with their time and effort... like the things that got them the money in the first place).

If the school isn't 'recruiting', then I'd imagine it's quite a hard job to market Cordia in a way to get it noticed like it has been.

Cordia's biggest competition in the region is Knott Central & Perry Central-- could you remind me if Cameron Justice and Justin Johnson are transfers? If so, should their transfers be looked into too?

Not trying to bash you personally, but I don't understand the hate for Cordia because some of their kids come from Canada or farther away. That's what boarding schools do. In my opinion, the ethnocentrism reeking from some of the statements you read and hear just seems tacky and perpetuates the negative stereotypes associated with Kentucky (especially Eastern Kentucky).

Kids in the area (and state) transfer all the time, but when a private boarding school does what most private boarding schools do and brings in kids (who win games against teams they usually wouldn't compete with), everyone cries foul.

I'll also stand by my statement that it isn't "easy to do" what Cordia has done when you look at the big picture. I gave the reasons why I felt that way in an earlier post, so there's no use re-typing them.That's just my opinion and reasonable minds can differ.

Edited by JokersWild24

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rule #4

4. No recruiting comments or allegations of KHSAA rules violations by any school, coach, player or booster are allowed. No comments about where any player lives, has lived, or where they are from in a recruiting context. This is not the place to report KHSAA violations. Feel free to contact Kentucky High School Athletic Association | KHSAA ? Student-athletes of Today, Leaders of Tomorrow to report such violations, but do not discuss violations here.

When I said "if it were as easy as you make it sound", I was referring to the original poster's comment that it could be done "with minimal effort".

If the school is 'recruiting' like some have insinuated, yes, I think it would be difficult for an ordinary person to acquire enough disposable income to put into a high school basketball program that's basically built from scratch (especially considering the other things they could be doing with their time and effort... like the things that got them the money in the first place).

If the school isn't 'recruiting', then I'd imagine it's quite a hard job to market Cordia in a way to get it noticed like it has been.

Cordia's biggest competition in the region is Knott Central & Perry Central-- could you remind me if Cameron Justice and Justin Johnson are transfers? If so, should their transfers be looked into too?

Not trying to bash you personally, but I don't understand the hate for Cordia because some of their kids come from Canada or farther away. That's what boarding schools do. In my opinion, the ethnocentrism reeking from some of the statements you read and hear just seems tacky and perpetuates the negative stereotypes associated with Kentucky (especially Eastern Kentucky).

Kids in the area (and state) transfer all the time, but when a private boarding school does what most private boarding schools do and brings in kids (who win games against teams they usually wouldn't compete with), everyone cries foul.

I'll also stand by my statement that it isn't "easy to do" what Cordia has done when you look at the big picture. I gave the reasons why I felt that way in an earlier post, so there's no use re-typing them.That's just my opinion and reasonable minds can differ.

First bolded statement...that I have no clue about. I don't live in the EKY area and outside of following them on the internet/message boards/sports highlights on the news and maybe seeing one or two of the EKY schools in a tournament or the sweet 16, I don't have a lot of detailed info about them.

Seconded bolded statement. No hate in my post at all, and please don't try to interpret my wish for the rules to be followed as hating on someone. As I stated in my original post, I don't care who the school might be and in what part of the state they might be in, if someone is possibly violating rules, especially one as big and potentially games changing as transfers, then those possible violations need to be looked into and addressed if the situation calls for it. Where's the hate in that?

First bolded statement...that I have no clue about. I don't live in the EKY area and outside of following them on the internet/message boards/sports highlights on the news and maybe seeing one or two of the EKY schools in a tournament or the sweet 16, I don't have a lot of detailed info about them.

Seconded bolded statement. No hate in my post at all, and please don't try to interpret my wish for the rules to be followed as hating on someone. As I stated in my original post, I don't care who the school might be and in what part of the state they might be in, if someone is possibly violating rules, especially one as big and potentially games changing as transfers, then those possible violations need to be looked into and addressed if the situation calls for it. Where's the hate in that?

The hate wasn't necessarily directed at your comment, and instead was intended to comment on the situation as a whole. Since you aren't familiar with the EKY scene, the point I was trying to make was that Johnson and Justice both transferred to their schools as well, but people don't seem to be as riled up about it. The only thing different about the transfers are demographics that the kids at each of these schools fit into (and how this kind of gives off an ethnocentric vibe when one takes a disproportionate amount of criticism when compared with another)-- that's the only point I was trying to make.

The hate wasn't necessarily directed at your comment, and instead was intended to comment on the situation as a whole. Since you aren't familiar with the EKY scene, the point I was trying to make was that Johnson and Justice both transferred to their schools as well, but people don't seem to be as riled up about it. The only thing different about the transfers are demographics that the kids at each of these schools fit into (and how this kind of gives off an ethnocentric vibe when one takes a disproportionate amount of criticism when compared with another)-- that's the only point I was trying to make.

Ok, gotcha. But, in a way, I think your argument kind of makes the point I am trying to. You use two players in particular that supposedly transferred and ask why people aren't up in arms about that, so I take it that you probably think that maybe they should be up in arms about it. If something wasn't above board, I agree with that sentiment. To go with that however, if people should be concerned about those two particular situations, then that concern I think would have to be greatly multiplied if any school is having athletes come in from all over the place with no rhyme or reason to it. Thats the only way it equates.

Ok, gotcha. But, in a way, I think your argument kind of makes the point I am trying to. You use two players in particular that supposedly transferred and ask why people aren't up in arms about that, so I take it that you probably think that maybe they should be up in arms about it. If something wasn't above board, I agree with that sentiment. To go with that however, if people should be concerned about those two particular situations, then that concern I think would have to be greatly multiplied if any school is having athletes come in from all over the place with no rhyme or reason to it. Thats the only way it equates.

Actually, I think people shouldn't be up in arms about any of the transfers. That's just me though.

Actually, I think people shouldn't be up in arms about any of the transfers. That's just me though.

I understand that sentiment is out there, but I can't follow that line of thinking. I think you have pure anarchy without transfer rules. I think it would also lead to "enticements" to get kids to come to a particular school. But, like you, that's just me though. Definitely differing opinions out there on the subject.

I understand that sentiment is out there, but I can't follow that line of thinking. I think you have pure anarchy without transfer rules. I think it would also lead to "enticements" to get kids to come to a particular school. But, like you, that's just me though. Definitely differing opinions out there on the subject.

For sure. I can definitely respect your opinions and see your points. :thumb:

Also nice to see another Kentuckian who likes the Heels. I love UK, but will be for UNC when they're on (unless it's against UK of course).

Just(ice) to clarify, Camron Justice has been in Knott Central High School since day 1 of his FRESHMAN year. The Justice family moved to Hindman the summer between 8th and 9th grades......

Just(ice) to clarify, Camron Justice has been in Knott Central High School since day 1 of his FRESHMAN year. The Justice family moved to Hindman the summer between 8th and 9th grades......

It's still a transfer, though. Just not the kind where the KHSAA has to make a ruling since it's pre-high school.

Did he play varsity at any other school? Just a question.

• 4 weeks later...