Cordia 2013/2014

Tell me why is it fishy when a school invest in a coach with the history of Rhodes could it not be that some of the parents are finding him. And wow we claim to want good Basketball and these kids will be KY products upon graduation where ever they go to college the school will always list a KY school. So stop the talk. Every coach want to win and build programs and if Coach Rhodes can take the Cordia Team to a new level then God Bless Him and if any of the Kids challenge other players by making them play harder guard hard score better then in the big picture everyone wins. Hey did anyone see the team of 5 play that tried to come back for a big win? How was the play? other than Malik Hines from Mississippi where there any other standouts?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't mean the school was shut down, just the recruiting, I don't think the KHSAA can shut fown a school. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Program was not allowed post season participation for 2 years, and recruiting was not the violation.

I think there's a pretty big difference. Just my opinion...

Well, there may be a pretty big difference in the distance that a transfer travels to get to his/her new location, but the end result is the same: A new student, or student/athlete if you wish, transfers to a specific school. Now, if there is recruiting involved that is a whole different cup of tea. But that can and has no doubt has happened in past years, two counties away as well as two states distance. But that would be illegal regardless where the athlete transferred from. I just don't see any difference in an athlete transferring to Cordia from Morgan County than from Mississippi ......if it's a legal transfer.

Well, there may be a pretty big difference in the distance that a transfer travels to get to his/her new location, but the end result is the same: A new student, or student/athlete if you wish, transfers to a specific school. Now, if there is recruiting involved that is a whole different cup of tea. But that can and has no doubt has happened in past years, two counties away as well as two states distance. But that would be illegal regardless where the athlete transferred from. I just don't see any difference in an athlete transferring to Cordia from Morgan County than from Mississippi ......if it's a legal transfer.

Your last 5 words are crucial. My understanding from another post on here is that some of the kids live on campus while going to school. The question of who pays for this expense comes into play. Since Cordia is a county school ( not private) are the citizens of Knott Co. picking of the tab of educating them by their taxes while the parents of the "absentee" parents pay no county taxes since they don't live locally? Just lots of questions in this situation.

Your last 5 words are crucial. My understanding from another post on here is that some of the kids live on campus while going to school. The question of who pays for this expense comes into play. Since Cordia is a county school ( not private) are the citizens of Knott Co. picking of the tab of educating them by their taxes while the parents of the "absentee" parents pay no county taxes since they don't live locally? Just lots of questions in this situation.

The answer is yes the residents are paying the bill for a winning basketball team. I would think that proving the parents didn't set up their "permanent residence" in Cordias district would be good easy enough to prove.

The answer is yes the residents are paying the bill for a winning basketball team. I would think that proving the parents didn't set up their "permanent residence" in Cordias district would be good easy enough to prove.

Seems like it would. Apparently no one has reported the case to KHSAA. They can't take any action unless a complaint is filed.

Still wonder how he found Cordia when he decided to transfer to a high school in Kentucky. Seems like he would have looked at Louisville or Lexington, not Hazard. I think no one is acknowledging the "White Elephant" in the room. Who are these kids living with? Were they recruited? Who's paying their expenses? etc.,etc, etc.
exactly. How is cordia getting these players? Nobody seems to have an answer. Why would a kid choose to move to a tiny school in the mountains . Makes no sense to me.

why does it matter it appears it only okay if it benefit your team????? These kids are suppose to be good and bring attention to an area that has received little in respect to basketball so am I to assume you are scared you can't win or what? What ever the reason let's play basketball and hopefully I can see a good game and better match up if your team is the best let the kids play and mind our own business.

The reason people are upset is that these players obviously didn't come to cordia for academic reasons. I live no where near this school but do understand that it is not fear of playing them but the fact that it is one thing to develop the talent In Your district and quite another to go to other countries/states to pluck talent. Right or wrong the playing field doesn't seem equal.

High school basketball is intended to be teams made up of local kids. If we want to do away with all rules, then every coach can go find the best players willing to attend their school. The schools that attemp to follow the rules are penalized. I am certain I could upgrade the talent at my school with minimal effort, however, how do you look people in the eye that pay local taxes, have participated in your junior leagues, have financed or worked fundraisers, etc. I would rather lose with my talent than lose with kids from Canada.

High school basketball is intended to be teams made up of local kids. If we want to do away with all rules, then every coach can go find the best players willing to attend their school. The schools that attemp to follow the rules are penalized. I am certain I could upgrade the talent at my school with minimal effort, however, how do you look people in the eye that pay local taxes, have participated in your junior leagues, have financed or worked fundraisers, etc. I would rather lose with my talent than lose with kids from Canada.

Agree completely. What do you say to the local kid who's parents have been paying taxes, watching their son develop all through grade school and jr. high, and now doesn't get to play because kids who need a GPS to find your school take their spot.

And don't tell me they will be happy just to be on a winner. High school kids want to PLAY. This isn't college where you know someone may be recruited that is better than you. By the way, I have never been anywhere near Hazard so this isn't personal with me, I just think it is grossly unfair to a whole lot of people.

• 2 weeks later...

Without knowing anything else, if the players are living in the school's dorms/housing to be eligible like any other student at a boarding school would, then they are following the rules.

Even hypothetically assuming recruiting (which I am not accusing Cordia or anyone else of because I have no proof that would indicate as much), I don't think it's necessarily easy to identify talent, convince that talent to come and stay at your school, integrate the talent into your school, team, and community, and finally, win.

Without personally knowing because I've never done it myself, I would imagine that a great deal of time, expense, etc. is involved. I think you might be underestimating how hard it is to win even with talent in place (i.e., think of trying to sell a high school kid on leaving home and coming to your school in the first place, and after that happens, think of the expectations, managing egos, attitudes, discipline, parents, etc. that would be involved).

If it were as easy as you make it sound, I think more schools would be doing it.

Without knowing anything else, if the players are living in the school's dorms/housing to be eligible like any other student at a boarding school would, then they are following the rules.

Even hypothetically assuming recruiting (which I am not accusing Cordia or anyone else of because I have no proof that would indicate as much), I don't think it's necessarily easy to identify talent, convince that talent to come and stay at your school, integrate the talent into your school, team, and community, and finally, win.

Without personally knowing because I've never done it myself, I would imagine that a great deal of time, expense, etc. is involved. I think you might be underestimating how hard it is to win even with talent in place (i.e., think of trying to sell a high school kid on leaving home and coming to your school in the first place, and after that happens, think of the expectations, managing egos, attitudes, discipline, parents, etc. that would be involved).

If it were as easy as you make it sound, I think more schools would be doing it.

Oh, it can be easy to do...it can also get you into a ton of trouble if/when the hammer falls too. I believe most coaches/programs would just rather go about their business and if a LEGITIMATE transfer falls into their lap, then great for them. But most I would say stay away from the "fishy" stuff. Some coaches/programs on the other hand may be /are perfectly willing to push the envelope or down right go over the line. Is Cordia doing that? I guess that's the question of the day. On the face of it there seems to be a lot of circumstantial evidence stuff is going on that at the very least needs to be looked in to. And maybe it is being looked in to and I don't and/or very few know about it, who knows. To me it would be a travesty if it isn't at least looked in to and if everything is above board, great for Cordia and more power to them. If stuff is going on that shouldn't, then the KHSAA should correct it, do what needs to be done and move on to the next thing. And I'm not picking on Cordia, it could be any school in the state and my opinion would be exactly the same, it just so happens this revolves around Cordia right now.

Oh, it can be easy to do...it can also get you into a ton of trouble if/when the hammer falls too. I believe most coaches/programs would just rather go about their business and if a LEGITIMATE transfer falls into their lap, then great for them. But most I would say stay away from the "fishy" stuff. Some coaches/programs on the other hand may be /are perfectly willing to push the envelope or down right go over the line. Is Cordia doing that? I guess that's the question of the day. On the face of it there seems to be a lot of circumstantial evidence stuff is going on that at the very least needs to be looked in to. And maybe it is being looked in to and I don't and/or very few know about it, who knows. To me it would be a travesty if it isn't at least looked in to and if everything is above board, great for Cordia and more power to them. If stuff is going on that shouldn't, then the KHSAA should correct it, do what needs to be done and move on to the next thing. And I'm not picking on Cordia, it could be any school in the state and my opinion would be exactly the same, it just so happens this revolves around Cordia right now.

Well said