Russ Smith, Gorgui Dieng, and Chane Behanan

02Ram54

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Smith should go. He's not going to change what he is. In fact he may not get drafted next year. He'll be a year older and may get exposed more without Siva.

If he isn't going to change/improve, it doesn't matter. His weaknesses will be exposed much faster in the NBA than in college and he will be out of the league before he even gets into it. Being drafted in the second round guarantees nothing. If Smith has these weaknesses, he needs to get back to UL and try to fix them so he has a chance to stick in the league. That is how he will make money.

Could he help himself more by coming back to college or by going ahead and getting in the pros? He will have a lot of adjusting to do at the next level and may be best served playing against those guys starting now. I think you could argue it either way.

Absolutely. I think there would be pros and cons to both, but neither have to do with draft position.

Here's what it boils down to:

You argue go now if you think Russ Smith, as he is today, would make an NBA roster. I think he would, which is why I said if he were my son I would encourage him to leave.

You argue stay if you think that, right now, Russ Smith would be a D-league player.

Balsphemy!!! Just mentioning Behanan in the same thread as Hayes should be a punishable crime. Never were two players more different in what they bring to their teams. Hayes was all about the team and winning. Behanan is all about Behanan.
I disagree with the end of this statement.....while it may have been true in the past...it is not now.