Russ Smith, Gorgui Dieng, and Chane Behanan

02Ram54

:lol2: Being that I'm the one who told you there was an autograph signing in the first place, might want to stay quiet on this one.

Just because you have Louisville players and staff on mobile doesn't mean you have to give Ram a hard time. :lol2:

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree. He has a long way to go to be "Chuck Hayes type" but also probably has a higher ceiling than Chuck ever did.

Because he is way more athletic than Chuck.

Exactly.

Few things. Hayes was a pretty good athlete, he just played stiff and wasn't a leaper. Hayes was a star football player in high school and many speculated he would try for the NFL post-college career, though I am not sure how credible those claims were.

Guys like Hayes (and Chane if he makes it) are the exception, not the rule. Hayes has had to play a lot out of necessity, not a missing void for a contending type team.

Drew Deener ‏@Drew_Deener22m

2nd source confirmed but sd 'keep in mind.. It's russ'. Feedback from nba was if he improves body, shot select. And A/TO. Could b 1st Rd in'14

Improve his body? He is 22 years old, so I doubt a 5 inch growth spurt isn't happening. He is not going to carry much more muscle.

If he wants a shot at the first round, he needs to go now. With as deep as next year's class will be, his best shot is this year.

If he wants to come back to school, then all the power to him, but if he wants to maximize potential, he needs to go now.

Improve his body? He is 22 years old, so I doubt a 5 inch growth spurt isn't happening. He is not going to carry much more muscle.

If he wants a shot at the first round, he needs to go now. With as deep as next year's class will be, his best shot is this year.

If he wants to come back to school, then all the power to him, but if he wants to maximize potential, he needs to go now.

Listen.

He's not going in the first round in either year. Not this year, not next year.

You can argue about lost earnings from a year delay or claim he's not going to improve, but it's at best silly and at worst intellectually dishonest concern trolling to lament Russ passing up a 'shot' at the first round this year, because it just isn't happening.

Listen.

You can argue about lost earnings from a year delay or claim he's not going to improve, but it's at best silly and at worst intellectually dishonest concern trolling to lament Russ passing up a 'shot' at the first round this year, because it just isn't happening.

How about this....If there was every a shot he could sneak into the first round, it's this year. Is that better?

How about this....If there was every a shot he could sneak into the first round, it's this year. Is that better?

In that case, every college player should buy their lottery ticket, right?

Oh wait-- they are.

The fact is that this year is going to be a very deep year with a lot of guys with draft stock similar to Russ' coming out to try and avoid the big freshman class coming in. When everyone stands up at the stadium, no one get's a better view. I think the class will actually be less crowded next year, after the top tier.

I've already said (multiple times) in this thread that if I'm Big Russ, I'm telling him to chase his dream in the pros. My point here is that the argument of coming out now for the chance of a first round pick pipe dream is nonsense. There are reasons for him to come out and reasons for him to stay, but making the first round slipped away with his play in the title game.

For Smith to be a first round pick, these things would all have to be true:

1) A GM would have to LOVE him, because the pick will get roasted. Absolutely roasted.

2) That GM has to be afraid that some other team likes Smith's potential enough that he wouldn't be available as a steal in the 2nd round or after the draft.

3) That GM has to pick in the back end of the first round.

4) That GM has to be able to legitimately defend the roster space and cap room for Smith.

5) That GM has to have a gigantic set and/or the complete and total faith of ownership.

It's not happening.

Listen.

Wait...what?

Trolling? Thanks!

Hey if he wants to come back great for him. His dad said it best about what else is there for him to accomplish at UL. First round is maybe a stretch, but as comical as you find my post, Drew Deener's citation of a source is way off. If Smith can improve anything, it would be point guard play. This is one of the weakest drafts in the NBA in a long time. If there is a chance to even sniff round one, he should go now.

His clock is ticking.

Just my thoughts and he isn't going to be a spring chicken if he decides to stay and have a pro career.

Wait...what?

Trolling? Thanks!

Hey if he wants to come back great for him. His dad said it best about what else is there for him to accomplish at UL. First round is maybe a stretch, but as comical as you find my post, Drew Deener's citation of a source is way off. If Smith can improve anything, it would be point guard play. This is one of the weakest drafts in the NBA in a long time. If there is a chance to even sniff round one, he should go now.

His clock is ticking.

Just my thoughts and he isn't going to be a spring chicken if he decides to stay and have a pro career.

I set it up as an either/or, actually- you could just be wrong. :p

And I disagree! Smith can still physically improve. He's done an amazing job of that so far in his time at Louisville, considering how tiny he was coming in, but there's still room to grow in that department. If he's going to make the NBA he absolutely has to get stronger, especially in his lower body.

I just disagree, and obviously Ville fans are hopeful he returns which gives them a top 5 team returning next year. Without him they will rely on a young backcourt, depending on how well Ware comes along, but still a strong team. Smith's return elevates them.

If Smith is to add bulk it will take away from his greatest strength, his quickness.

Hey, he may come back and Pitino can extoll the virtues of Smith's love for Louisville and that he wanted to return. Plus, I think that is what will exactly happen tomorrow if there is a press conference.

I see it as his best opportunity to earn a roster spot is this year, more so than next year.