Russ Smith, Gorgui Dieng, and Chane Behanan

02Ram54

These players' futures were the subject of a lot of speculation following the title game.

In the week since, here's where they stand:

Russ Smith went from his father's declaration of being NBA bound, to tepidly confirming it with Bruce Pearl, to looking like he might cry when the crowd chanted "One More Year!" at the Yum! Center, to Pitino edging up odds that he would stay from 50-50 to 60-40 to 70-30.

Dieng, who is notorious for trolling the media, left the locker room following the championship telling local media guys that he'll see them next year in Louisville, then was quoted as saying that he's concentrating on school and that the NBA isn't going anywhere. A few days later he tells Jody Demling that he's 'probably' leaving, and that Pitino thinks he's ready and that he should go. Pitino has been on record for a few months saying that he thinks Dieng needs to go now.

Behanan has been the clearest, no matter what Original Rookie thinks, saying to anyone who will listen that he's coming back. He even posted on his social media that he's returning, and as everyone knows they won't let you say something on the internet that isn't true.

So, what do we think? Are they going or staying?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is some speculation and additional information I want to add for each:

Russ Smith

I don't think Smith will be a first round pick this year, but every higher-rated player that returns to school (like WCS and Marcus Smith) edges him ever closer to making the first round. On the other hand, this year is like every year in that Smith is not the only borderline prospect, and in my opinion this draft is especially flooded with mid-range talent because no one wants to wait until next year. Also of note is growing up in New York, Smith had basically zero attachment to college ball. He's purely an NBA fan.

Smith is Based.

I left that as its own line because it's very important for understanding Smith, and once you know it will cause you to view him in a new light. For those of you who are old, that means he's a fan of the rapper Lil B, but putting it like that is like saying a Deadhead is a fan of Jerry Garcia or that Juggalos are fans of ICP. There's an entire philosophy and national community that comes with being Based, and Smith is into it. He's a member of Basedworld, he calls himself BasedKing and here's a picture with Lil B (known as BasedGod to those that are Based) signing his hat.

It's weird, it's a half-serious cult, and you should Google it even if you aren't interested in Smith. Anyway, I think it will play a part in his decision because Russ Smith is the weirdest basketball player on the planet. If I had to guess, the influence would be on the side of staying at Louisville.

Gorgui Dieng

Dieng, on the other hand, will be a first round pick. In fact, right now I see him edging up into the back end of the lottery. He looked like an NBA center in the title game and showcased his high-post game. He shot 77% from the floor in the tournament. He's old at 23, his game is ready, and his coach has publicly given him his blessing.

So why hasn't he declared?

Dieng's family isn't poor (his father is a politician) and his family's view of money is different from a typical Western perspective. Check out this article from last year's final four. Dieng's father would give away his extra money, and Gorgui has said that he wants to make money as a basketball player to do the same. So, like the rare sane person, Dieng views money as a tool and doesn't just value it for its own sake. He's also said that he wants to be a role model back home to value education and to not leave school early to pursue athletics, but I've heard that he's on track to graduate in three years so I don't know how much that enters into it.

He's from a town that has a population a few thousand smaller than a Louisville basketball home game. This town is literally half the world away. Dieng cried when he first came to the states at 18 because of the culture shock and homesickness.

Finally, Dieng is the Big Man On Campus and loves it. He goes to everything. He's the student rep for the athletic department. He does Q & A and round-table discussions. Dieng is humble on the court and in interviews, but absolutely soaks it up with the fans.

Here's my speculation: Dieng is conflicted between his dream of playing in the NBA and how happy he is at Louisville. I also don't think it's outside the realm of possibility that he's not 100% emotionally ready to leave his adopted home.

Chane Behanan

He's staying. End of discussion. I only included him in this thread for Original Rookie. His perimeter game on offense is obviously non-existent, but his perimeter defense is also weak and no one in the NBA is playing any kind of zone for four quarters to protect him. He's got a lot to work on this summer.

02Ram54's Predictions (and Fatherly Advice)

Before I start, let me say that as a fan my view is that these guys owe me nothing, even if they hadn't won a title. They need to do what's best for them, whether that's personally or professionally.

Russ Smith will stay, basically on the weight of the Notre Dame melt-down and his poor showing in the national title game. It's crazy to me, but I think it's true. If he were my kid, I think I would encourage him to take his chances at making a team.

Dieng will go, because he should. Unless he doesn't care about a year of earnings, which even if he comes back and has a monster year I don't think he can make it up with a higher draft position- there's just only so high he could go a year older and in a stronger class. I will say I was 100% sure, now I'm 80% sure. I honestly don't know what I would tell Dieng if he were my son because he seems to really have his head on straight.

Behanan is staying. No question. I also think this year woke him up to the reality that he absolutely must put in the time and effort to improve, that the days of skating by on his natural ability are over. If I were his father, I would ask Charlie Strong to kidnap him.

Nice breakdown, 02R! Thanks for explaining the Based thing. I see it on Twitter all the time and never could figure it out. Russ seems like a genuinely nice kid. Actually, they all do. As to Dieng soaking up the fans/BMOC thing, he's a college kid...and he's allowed. :D

I've seen people advertising that Dieng has some autograph signings scheduled. If he is charging for them (which I assume he is) then he is 1000% gone.

I've seen no info advertising any signings by any of the team except Peyton Siva.

I've seen people advertising that Dieng has some autograph signings scheduled. If he is charging for them (which I assume he is) then he is 1000% gone.

That would 1000% be news to me. If Gorgui were signing for money he'd be doing it with Siva, and I know he hasn't.

Gorgui Dieng ‏@GDieng10 5h

I need all the CARDS fans to come to @PrimeLoungeKy this Saturday from 3-6 PM for autograph signing, thanks for the support #L1C4

Just found it and was coming to edit my post. :lol: It was just posted today.