Why are NCC basketball players not playing football?

I saw a post in another thread about high school athletes that don't have a real chance to play college basketball, should play other sports. I thought it was an excellent comment. It seems NCC has this problem and has been a problem over the last few years. I've watched the NCC varsity basketball team play a few times. They have some kids that could be serious studs in football and possibly play on the next level, but really have no chance at playing college basketball. IMO, their is only one basketball prospect on that team, jake Shultz or something like that, not sure on the last name. They had a kid a few years ago, jake geisler, he could have played on Sundays......now I hear he is trying to walk on at NKU.

Where are these kids getting their advice from, guess that's my question. They need to realize, NKU isn't taking 5'9" players anymore. You better be better or as good as the sophomore from Holmes.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw a post in another thread about high school athletes that don't have a real chance to play college basketball, should play other sports. I thought it was an excellent comment. It seems NCC has this problem and has been a problem over the last few years. I've watched the NCC varsity basketball team play a few times. They have some kids that could be serious studs in football and possibly play on the next level, but really have no chance at playing college basketball. IMO, their is only one basketball prospect on that team, jake Shultz or something like that, not sure on the last name. They had a kid a few years ago, jake geisler, he could have played on Sundays......now I hear he is trying to walk on at NKU.

Where are these kids getting their advice from, guess that's my question. They need to realize, NKU isn't taking 5'9" players anymore. You better be better or as good as the sophomore from Holmes.

I agree that Jake should have gone the football route to have more success in his career as an athlete but playing on Sundays....thats a little much.

I agree that Jake should have gone the football route to have more success in his career as an athlete but playing on Sundays....thats a little much.

I'm in no way saying it was a lock, c'mon. You have no idea what could or could not have done. My point is, he had as good a chance as you could ask for. Zero chance to make it to the nba.

Geisler played football and just didn't like it as much as basketball. Nothing like that is a given. Look no further than Derek Smith. If you don't have a true love for football, it is difficult to make to Sundays. Jake would have had to get up to about 310 lbs. I'm not sure that he wanted to do that. The only basketball player that would have a chance to go higher than they would in basketball is McDonald due to his size and feet. However, he's one of the best golfers in the region, so is he truly picking the "wrong" sport?

I know what the major cause is, just curious of others opinions on the matter.

Demands and expectations of AAU programs? Varsity coaches expecting commitment to one sport? 12 month a year conditioning and participation expectations? Parents who have unrealistic assessment of their child's skill level?

Disclaimer: I have no connection to NCC and am just throwing these out.

Jake was a nice player. With Jack G, that was a very tall O/D line NCC had.

I'm in no way saying it was a lock, c'mon. You have no idea what could or could not have done. My point is, he had as good a chance as you could ask for. Zero chance to make it to the nba.

It was Jakes decision to play basketball thats is what he liked. I am not sure you understand how good you have to be to play pro sports.....your right he had no chance in the NBA and 0.01 chance to play in the NFL...so why not play what you love.

A chance at playing college basketball, or a chance at playing D1 college basketball. There is a huge difference.

Every one of NCC's starting five can play at the next level. McDonald has the size and time to continue to develop to play at a high level. Schulte, Seibert, Beuter, and Pangallo all have the skill sets to play DII-DIII college basketball.

Football is a different animal all together. You have to have a mentality for the game. You just can't take any athlete and make a football player out of them. Putting on the pads and going all out is not for everyone. Not saying that these boys do not have that mentality, but they definately have a "love" for the game of basketball.

Demands and expectations of AAU programs? Varsity coaches expecting commitment to one sport? 12 month a year conditioning and participation expectations? Parents who have unrealistic assessment of their child's skill level?

That is why they are what they are in basketball...very good. Other than Mcdonald...not sure the others have football bodies. He is a great golfer...thats what i would focus on. At the end of the day its what the kids want to do. You cant make them love something they dont love.

It was Jakes decision to play basketball thats is what he liked. I am not sure you understand how good you have to be to play pro sports.....your right he had no chance in the NBA and 0.01 chance to play in the NFL...so why not play what you love.

Trust me when I tell you, I do know what it takes lol. I'm not trying to single him out, he was just an example. Why close the door on any opportunity? Lets be honest, kids have no idea at the age of 15-22 what they want or whats best for them. We all have friends that say, "I shoulda played this, I shoulda done that", "I wish someone would have told me". Well, I'm sure someone did, you just didn't listen.

All excellent answers, the one in bold hits it square in the face though.