When did offensive linemen change?

This is a poster of the '85 Bears offensive line. They look like rugby players. At what point did it change to the mammoths that we have today? Did the impact of Perry and the huge DTs after him cause the shift?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]38924[/ATTACH]

The influence of a much more pass heavy offense is one of the things that caused this change. Tall, Long Arms, etc.

The same could be said for many college programs and their styles. If you look at the Georgia Tech's, Navy, Air Force, Army's, etc. of the world, all of their linemen are 6'1-6'3 250-290 clones of each other. Why? They can move. Get under people. The needed leverage for those styles of offense.

But, if you look at Texas Tech, Oklahoma, etc? Their front 5's are 6'5, 6'6, 6'7...300-330 plus all day long.

Plus, as you said, the DL these days have caused for this change as well. Freaks of nature is what they are becoming.

And bigger, faster linemen and other players leads us to the concussion issues we have today. Its not just the linemen. Take a good look at receivers like Vincent Jackson for example. 20 years ago, this guy would have been a tight end. Or linebackers like Jerrad Mayo. Guys 250 - 270 with 4.5 - 4.6 speed. Talk about collision momentum!

If Anthony Munoz played today(at the weight he played at), he would weigh less than any starting offensive lineman in the NFL. (Source Anthony Munoz said so at a banquet)

I think he played at about 270 or 280. Played SS on his softball team.

It was a gradual occurance. 1985 was about 3 or 4 football generations ago. The question I have is how far can it be carried?

It was gradual, but a lot faster than, let's say Super Bowl I to 1985. If you look at the lines of the Packers to the Steelers of the 70's, the difference in size b/n them and the 85 bears is nothing compared to the '85 Bears

v. the 92 Cowboys. Something happened in that era specifically. That is when OLinemen became HUGE.