Red Lobster and Olive Garden WON'T Cut Jobs

02Ram54

Red Lobster is decent. Last couple of times I've gone to Olive Garden (two different locations), the experience was less than mediocre.

And both beat the heck out of Papa John's and Chick-Fil-A. But that's just personal preference that was set LONG before we started talking about any of them here.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm familiar with small business. I really don't want to get into this argument at length but I do want to say that not all business owners are pocketing big money. Most goes to running the company and innovation for future growth. Marvel is 100% right. Buisness owners are responsible for families and making sure that the business survives and progress for them and their employees families. They don't just pocket profits. Those profits grow buisness. There are companies that flaunt and or take money out of the company and they don't last long. Our family buisness has been in buisness for 100+ years. It hasn't been from keeping all the profits for ourselves. When the government comes in and takes more, whether it is health care or whatever, that is that much less that the business will have to grow, maintain facilities, hire, etc.

Not every business owner runs a Billion dollar company and is taking home millions in salary. The very people that Obama said he was going to help (middle class) , and I hate the class warfare he uses, are going to suffer because the other "middle class" buisness owners will no longer be able to employ them.

Then we will have higher unemployment, meaning more Government SPENDING.

Oh and remember, if they tax the rich, it will only run the Government for 8 days.

We have to cut SPENDING.

I'm familiar with small business. I really don't want to get into this argument at length but I do want to say that not all business owners are pocketing big money. Most goes to running the company and innovation for future growth. Marvel is 100% right. Buisness owners are responsible for families and making sure that the business survives and progress for them and their employees families. They don't just pocket profits. Those profits grow buisness. There are companies that flaunt and or take money out of the company and they don't last long. Our family buisness has been in buisness for 100+ years. It hasn't been from keeping all the profits for ourselves. When the government comes in and takes more, whether it is health care or whatever, that is that much less that the business will have to grow, maintain facilities, hire, etc.

Not every business owner runs a Billion dollar company and is taking home millions in salary. The very people that Obama said he was going to help (middle class) , and I hate the class warfare he uses, are going to suffer because the other "middle class" buisness owners will no longer be able to employ them.

Then we will have higher unemployment, meaning more Government SPENDING.

Oh and remember, if they tax the rich, it will only run the Government for 8 days.

We have to cut SPENDING.

I have not nor have I ever spoke about small businesses. My beef has been with multi million dollar companies claiming poor because of Obamacare. This thread is about two franchise chains that make millions and millions of dollars. I'd have to talk to my barber to understand fully how Obamacare affects small business.

I have not nor have I ever spoke about small businesses. My beef has been with multi million dollar companies claiming poor because of Obamacare. This thread is about two franchise chains that make millions and millions of dollars. I'd have to talk to my barber to understand fully how Obamacare affects small business.

I'm not talking about Red Lobster but it isn't small potatos either. My Grandfather was not a barber.

Actually, he started out very small and 100 years later grew into a nice company. So maybe someday your barber will have a multi million dollar barber shop cutting the hair of the wealthy. Oh wait, there won't be any wealth. Oh well, sorry.

PP. do you own any stock? Do you know who owns big companies?

PP. do you own any stock? Do you know who owns big companies?

I give a percentage of my paycheck to my 401K. That's it and all I know. I am not financially savvy and I hope that doesn't cause me to work until I am 75 but if it does then I am okay with that. I'll do what I have to do. I'll survive.

I do wish I had bought stock in EA Sports back in 1999 when a co-worker told me to. I've never had anyone close to me to advise me on the stock market when I have had money readily available to play.

I'm not talking about Red Lobster but it isn't small potatos either. My Grandfather was not a barber.

Actually, he started out very small and 100 years later grew into a nice company. So maybe someday your barber will have a multi million dollar barber shop cutting the hair of the wealthy. Oh wait, there won't be any wealth. Oh well, sorry.

Not what I meant. I meant my barber owns a small business and he doesn't hate Obama or the government so he could give me an unbiased view of how these government mandated laws affect him without ruining the conversation which would actually allow me to learn something.

I give a percentage of my paycheck to my 401K. That's it and all I know. I am not financially savvy and I hope that doesn't cause me to work until I am 75 but if it does then I am okay with that. I'll do what I have to do. I'll survive.

You invest into your 401k to make money. Your 401k is probably mutuals which consist of stocks from large companies. The more they make the sooner you retire.

Going back to my comments about greed and the responses by marvel and bluegrasscard. First, I am no fan of government intervention in business. I am surely not saying government has some moral compass that big business does not. My point is that when business goes over the top, government responds. When pollution from runoff from businesses reaches a certain level, the EPA rides in. If those businesses had more of a moral compass, they would control pollution from their company and government would not get involved. Unions developed because companies abused workers. If business treated workers better, unions wouldn't be here. These comments are about big business, not small business.

Edited by Voice of Reason

Going back to my comments about greed and the responses by marvel and bluegrasscard. First, I am no fan of government intervention in business. I am surely not saying government has some moral compass that big business does not. My point is that when business goes over the top, government responds. When pollution from runoff from businesses reaches a certain level, the EPA rides in. If those businesses had more of a moral compass, they would control pollution from their company and government would not get involved. Unions developed because companies abused workers. If business treated workers better, unions wouldn't be here. These comments are about big business, not small business.

That helps me understand better.

I think government does have a role as referee of the markets places. Keeping monopolies from forming is an example. Establishing child labor laws, maximum length work dayes, etc. Reasonable protection of the environment also. I would put the SEC in this list as well. The SEC has been asleep at the wheel for a long time. They certainly have not woken up during this administration. Stock manipulation and market manipulation are as bad as ever.

But just because government mandates the same per employee cost on every employee does not make it business-neutral. This action, AHA, may truly kill multiple industries who can not escape it - like restaurants. There cost will be to high, consumers will quit buying and they all go down. After seeing this there will be tepidness of new players entering the marketplace if the cause of failure was high labor cost with no real solution. Atlas will shrug. Other companies will look to off-shore what they can to escape the higher costs. Not due to greed. Due to the fact their competition will do it or there will be a threat of their competition doing it and gaining an upper hand. Then the entire industry usually starts the 'race to the bottom'. Seeing so much off-shoring first hand the last decade I can say its usually not greed that drives it - it is fear of not being in business two years down the road if you do not. I have seen very good people try to avoid the path and get run over or finally have to give in. They know moving jobs overseas is not healthy but the rationalization is that its either that or the entire company goes down.

I still believe that once fully implemented, healthcare costs will be lower. My main reason for saying that is the non payers will be putting money into the system and that will reduce average cost for everyone who was paying. I will no longer be paying for the people who don't have coverage and still get health care.

I still believe that once fully implemented, healthcare costs will be lower. My main reason for saying that is the non payers will be putting money into the system and that will reduce average cost for everyone who was paying. I will no longer be paying for the people who don't have coverage and still get health care.

The concept is good. The practice may have some struggles. From an insurance lawyer - 'nothing in ACA lowered anything, its all add. In fact all the the new rules and laws make it much more expensive.'

But the alternative of pure 'free market' is a farce. No one 'shops' for the competitively priced emergency room when you have broken bone or puncture wound. The medical industry does not respond to pure Adam Smith Free Market mechanisms.

I think one party offered up a monstrosity that will be very hurtful to businesses and the overall economy in its implementation. The other offered something that really does not work. Both failed us - again.

That would explain why union memberships have been falling for years.