Red Lobster and Olive Garden WON'T Cut Jobs

02Ram54

Technology and robotics need software and hardware that comes from human labor. No evidence to support that technology, overall, destroys jobs. History shows that innovation will create more jobs.... all the way from the invention of the cotton gin to email....those inventions have created jobs, not destroyed them

My plant went from 4 workers on a line to 1 worker on a line because of robots. My eyes debunk your post.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The cost vs. value of higher education is certainly under strain.

The starting salary of an entry level engineering job is not much different than it was in 1985 (mid $30s). But the cost of obtaining a 4 year degree is probably 3 times higher if not more.

It is definitely more difficult to justify especially when we are competing globally against countries that subsidize education much more fully than in the US. In the US if you are wealthy no problem, if you report low income (notice I said report) no problem because of federal funding. However, if one is in the middle - ouch! Our starting pay for engineers is about $45 TUSD, however our company, like many, has the reins on adding heads so we often resort to utilizing the in-house engineering division located in India. China and India both outpace the US in numbers of engineering graduates and their costs are definitely lower. This really concerns me for our future, but this is the model we have to work with.