Red Lobster and Olive Garden WON'T Cut Jobs

02Ram54

To each his own. I refuse to believe that a multi million dollar company can't survive unless it cuts employees so it can cover healthcare costs. If that makes me ignorant then so be it. I've said it a thousand times, the company I work for will continue to make millions and millions of dollars without cutting employees and will comply with the healthcare mandate as well. All these multi million dollar corporations need to follow the Corning Incorporated business model. Maybe then they won't have to cry anymore.

Multi million dollar companies aren't really the ones considering it. You're talking the franchises and really only those near the threshold.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How am I always advocating for government intervention? Oh, that's right because I am ignorant and don't agree with the almighty marvel. I'll be glad when you become President of the United States and save us all from our own ignorance.

Labor unions, healthcare, SS, more taxes, ect.

If I was President, anyone could practice ignorance. You just couldn't mandate it on everyone else.

I want to see a CEO of a publicly traded company tell Wall Street that they are reducing profits for next year because they have to pay for additional health care. They will make the loss up by raising prices or reducing costs. Someone pays.

If I was President, anyone could practice ignorance. You just couldn't mandate it on everyone else.

I have only spoke on labor unions and my personal experience with them and that ALL labor unions shouldn't be grouped in together and looked at unfavorably. None of you know anything about my union to speak on it and it's obvious the bias is too thick to have a rational conversation about them.

I have spoke on healthcare and the need for it. I don't care who intervenes or who provides it. It's needed. Will Obamacare work? I have no clue because it isn't 100% operational. If my willingness to try something new makes me ignorant then so be it.

I have never said a word about social security or taxes because I don't know enough about either so I never even comment on those threads. I'm ignorant enough already.

I want to see a CEO of a publicly traded company tell Wall Street that they are reducing profits for next year because they have to pay for additional health care. They will make the loss up by raising prices or reducing costs. Someone pays.

I've always said I am willing to pay extra for something I truly want. If I want it then I'll buy it. Simple process to me.

I've always said I am willing to pay extra for something I truly want. If I want it then I'll buy it. Simple process to me.

And after a point in time when you decide the price is too high, you stop buying the goods and that company goes out of business.

The business most likely can survive....if it is big enough. The central problem is that government is telling a business what it must do. I have a huge problem with that. The goal of any business is to make a profit, therefore they are going to focus on the consumer. Not you. The business wants to make a profit. It does that by creating a good product. It has a good product by having good workers. It has good workers because they are probably happy with what they do and how the business treats them. Businesses have incentives to treat their employees right. Nowhere should government be involved. Its really not hard to comprehend.

These corporations ''need'' to or they should? I take it you would love a mandate stating that every business should follow the corning business model.

Multi million/billion dollar corporations are the way they are because of government intervention. Which is what you are always advocating for.

I am confused. Don't you post on here that there is no longer a need for Unions because of the various laws that are in place to "protect" workers from everything from safety to discrimination? Now you are complaining that the government should not be telling companies what to do.

I am confused. Don't you post on here that there is no longer a need for Unions because of the various laws that are in place to "protect" workers from everything from safety to discrimination? Now you are complaining that the government should not be telling companies what to do.

First, keeping the government in check and ensuring they don't entangle themselves in business they have no authority to do so is not ''complaining.''

Second, I have never stated that laws protect employees from their employers.

The basic fallacy in what you want marvel, is businesses/business owners are greedy. Almost all the items you list above are in place because business owners care more about putting money into their pocket than anything else, including their customers and the people that work for them. Of course, we all are greedy on a certain level. But even today as I look at the income CEO's and Boards siphon off from their company I shake my head. There are very, very few people who truly are worth the income that these people are pulling. They will make sure their employees get their income capped and then take a bonus because they reduced cost. Greed is the primary driver behind mandates and regulations.

I agree. Just like if I don't want something the federal government should be able to tell me tough and force me to buy it anyways.

Right, just like you pass on buying things you don't want. So why exactly do you support the government telling everyone they HAVE to buy something?

Because I don't care. I could not care less if the government mandated healthcare or not. Makes no difference to me. I just think universal healthcare is a great idea. PP92 will still have healthcare regardless. Capiche?

The basic fallacy in what you want marvel, is businesses/business owners are greedy. Almost all the items you list above are in place because business owners care more about putting money into their pocket than anything else, including their customers and the people that work for them. Of course, we all are greedy on a certain level. But even today as I look at the income CEO's and Boards siphon off from their company I shake my head. There are very, very few people who truly are worth the income that these people are pulling. They will make sure their employees get their income capped and then take a bonus because they reduced cost. Greed is the primary driver behind mandates and regulations.

And business owners making a profit is bad?

They want to make a profit. Therefore they are going to provide the absolute best product at a price that the consumer and producer agree upon -- its all voluntary. If they want their product to survive, they are going to have to have good workers, good work conditions, good pay, and good benefits (if the employer offers). If the worker is unhappy, they can leave, they can go to the local or national press, they can tell their friends, their co-workers can negotiate with their boss. The government isn't going to be the hero, I assure you.

If I start my own business, I can and should be able to hire whom I want and base it on color or religion, treat them badly, and make them work on holidays. But guess what? I'm not going to get the best workers and therefore I probably won't have a decent product which means I will have a bad review, people won't like me, (just like the way some of you decide not to eat at papa johns) and I will end up failing. That is the only type of regulations I am for. Was the government behind it? No. It wasn't needed. The market did its job.

There are many CEO's who have ridiculous amounts of pay. Check out some of the top S&P salaries. The top corporations earn an insane amount. You blame it on the "free market'' we supposedly have. I blame it on a mixed market that I allege we have and you often advocate for with your pushing for more regulations and mandates.

Question: Is our government greedy? Is it ever possible that government officials want to stuff their pockets?