An honest question about a teams protocol when someone from the other team is injured

All Tell

When did it become "mandatory" that players take a knee while an injured player from the opposing team is being tended to on the field?

A few years ago when Trinity played Grant County in the play-offs they were pretty harshly criticized because their coaches had them in groups and were continuing to coach them while a player was being tended to. When Trinity played Simon Kenton in the championship their fans even started chanting take a knee while one of their players was down on the field.

This was not the case 30 years ago when I was in high school. It certainly seems to me that a team can be on their own sideline, walking around and staying "loose" especially when it is cold without being "disrespectful" (a much over used word I might add) to the injured player.

Opinions?

I think the taking a knee thing is fairly common out in the state but relatively unknown in

Louisville till recently. Similar to pulling off the side of the road when a funeral procession goes by.

Never saw that before till I was driving out in the state and saw it happen. Not saying there is anything

wrong with taking a knee or pull off the road, just stating those are customs that are not common

throughout the entire state.

I am pretty sure that it is a rule that coaches can not speak to players that are on the field during a referee stoppage. An injury timeout would fall under those guidelines.

I have my players take a knee. Other coaches have returned the act in kind when my kids go down. I think it is out of respect for the competitors. I do not like the message that may be sent by ignoring an injury that has occurred. One coaches opinion.

I am pretty sure that it is a rule that coaches can not speak to players that are on the field during a referee stoppage. An injury timeout would fall under those guidelines.

I have my players take a knee. Other coaches have returned the act in kind when my kids go down. I think it is out of respect for the competitors. I do not like the message that may be sent by ignoring an injury that has occurred. One coaches opinion.

If the players are sent to their sideline for an extended injury timeout it is totally legal for their coaches to talk to them. I guess I look at it differently. I don't see it as ignoring an injury if a coach continues to coach while a player is down and even have no problem with it if its his player down. I know that Friday night while the medics were attending to Quick on the field, Trinity's coaches were talking to their players getting them ready for their new role in the game. Unfortunately injuries are part of the game but I really believe that way to much has been made out of teams "disrespecting" an injured player when they don't take a knee.

Edited by All Tell

Never did it as a player and didn't see teams do it until the past 10 years or so. I honestly think its a trickle up effect from many pewee leagues. Parents get use to seeing it when they're kids are little and players get use to it.

The team I coach does it as soon as they realize a player is down. Most of the time this is pretty close to right after the whistle. It tends to signal the other sideline that they have a hurt kid. As soon as an offical stops play for the injury our players come to the numbers and we coach.