Obama will win because he's black

A columnist that I often read and respect although I rarely agree with has went and joined the looney crowd. George will writes that Obama has been awful and will only win because he's black. It couldn't be because the country is increasingly moving away from Republican ideas on homosexuality, immigration, health care or tax and entitlement policy. The republican candidate just can't win because the country doesn't want to give up on the black guy. :rolleyes:

Voters Might Tolerate This Failed President Because He's African-American - Investors.com

A significant date in the nation's civil rights progress involved an African-American baseball player named Robinson, but not Jackie. The date was Oct. 3, 1974, when Frank Robinson, one the greatest players in history, was hired by the Cleveland Indians as the major leagues' first black manager.

But an even more important milestone of progress occurred June 19, 1977, when the Indians fired him. That was colorblind equality.

Managers get fired all the time. The fact that the Indians felt free to fire Robinson — who went on to have a distinguished career managing four other teams — showed that another racial barrier had fallen: Henceforth, African-Americans, too, could enjoy the God-given right to be scapegoats for impatient team owners or incompetent team executives.

Perhaps a pleasant paradox defines this political season: That Obama is African-American may be important, but in a way quite unlike that darkly suggested by, for example, MSNBC's excitable boys and girls who, with their (at most) one-track minds and exquisitely sensitive olfactory receptors, sniff racism in any criticism of their pin-up.

Instead, the nation, which is generally reluctant to declare a president a failure — thereby admitting that it made a mistake choosing him — seems especially reluctant to give up on the first African-American president. If so, the 2012 election speaks well of the nation's heart, if not its head.

Read More At IBD: Voters Might Tolerate This Failed President Because He's African-American - Investors.com

Will always makes you think. That is certainly an impressive list of failures that normally would sink a president. Maybe he's on to something. Then again, maybe Romney is the reason Obama is holding on despite these:

Worse, Romney and his advisers must be bewildered by this fact: In October 2011 they would have been serenely confident of victory if they had been told that 12 months later the following would be true:

• That President Obama would be waist deep in muddy and contradictory descriptions and explanations of the terrorist (he now concedes) attack on the U.S. diplomatic compound in Libya.

• That data just released for August 2012 showed that real disposable income had again declined.

• That Obama would actually celebrate the fact that for the first month since he took office there were more U.S. jobs than when he took office.

• That the most recent figures show a 13.2% decline in durable goods orders.

• That nearly 25% — the highest in three decades — of Americans between 25 and 55 are unemployed.

• That the second-quarter growth rate was adjusted down from an anemic 1.7% to the stall speed of 1.3%.

25% of the population between 25 and 55 are unemployed? I did not realize that. That is staggering!

Obama is winning because the GOP put up an extremely weak field of candidates. The GOP seems to punish you for losing a presidential election and I believe that mentality results in higher quality candidates choosing not to participate.

Not sure I agree with your second sentence, but I wholeheartedly agree with the first.

George Will is strange. Seems like Obama's darker hue of skin color and his failures as POTUS would have him out quicker than one of his fairer skinned opponents. Most blacks aren't given second chances when they fail as horribly as Obama has. And he's ruined the country as we know it.

Of course, life isn't fair.

For the record, I blame the lack of quality from the republican candidates. As much as the republicans cry about the horrible job Obama has done the least they could have done is present a suitable opponent since they are so concerned about the future of the country. If Romney wins I think I'll be rooting for him to succeed harder than most because for all of this noise about how awful Obama is Romney better be amazing if he takes over. AMAZING!!!!!!!

Obama will win because he has every single news media station campaigning for him but FOX NEWS. Also yes he has 99% of black vote because he is black and 90% of Latino vote because he says he will set the illegals free and allow all to be citizens with full benefits of food stamps, welfare, tax refunds. and free healthcare.

Anyone is better than what is in the White House now. Obama is as incompetent and inexperienced as a homeless guy on the street with a 3rd grade education.

Obama will win because he has every single news media station campaigning for him but FOX NEWS. Also yes he has 99% of black vote because he is black and 90% of Latino vote because he says he will set the illegals free and allow all to be citizens with full benefits of food stamps, welfare, tax refunds. and free healthcare.

Anyone is better than what is in the White House now. Obama is as incompetent and inexperienced as a homeless guy on the street with a 3rd grade education.

I feel like you just say things sometimes. Like, hey, I know this is wrong, but it's funny so I'm just going to say this.

Because you have to know that's not the case.

This is one problem I have with the Republican platform. What is wrong with promoting young, intelligent immigrants, albeit illegal, to go to college and help this economy? Why should they have any less of a chance than our ancestors did who wanted the same thing as these immigrants want; a better life...

And yeah, I get it, "Our ancestors did it legally." Well all they had to do was show up at Ellis Island and everything was cool. Immigration nowadays moves at a snail pace. If illegals are breaking laws and just living off of government programs, cool. Get on out. If they're smart and helping this country, why not hold onto them?

He presents a case as to why the POTUS should not win in November.

However, he presents no case for his thought that he will win because he is black. What did I miss?

I don't think you can present a case, it's more of presenting a possibility for why such a failure is not already behind in the polls. The more obvious one is Romney himself. Another is that with the country so polarized the polls are always going to be close, leaving it to the swing voters who are still undecided. There are plent of others, including the one presented by Will, that people want to give a trailblazer more of a chance than he would otherwise deserve. I could see that possibility and expect it will happen whenever we get our first president from other groups such as women, hispanics and Asians.

He presents a case as to why the POTUS should not win in November.

However, he presents no case for his thought that he will win because he is black. What did I miss?

Agree. I also don't think it's too hard to analogize to the 2004 election. Bush was quite polarizing and increasingly unpopular, but John Kerry couldn't manage to give anyone a reason to vote for him other than that he wasn't Bush. To me, Romney is similarly situated.

Obama is winning because the GOP put up an extremely weak field of candidates. The GOP seems to punish you for losing a presidential election and I believe that mentality results in higher quality candidates choosing not to participate.

No doubt.

I feel like you just say things sometimes. Like, hey, I know this is wrong, but it's funny so I'm just going to say this.

Because you have to know that's not the case.

This is one problem I have with the Republican platform. What is wrong with promoting young, intelligent immigrants, albeit illegal, to go to college and help this economy? Why should they have any less of a chance than our ancestors did who wanted the same thing as these immigrants want; a better life...

And yeah, I get it, "Our ancestors did it legally." Well all they had to do was show up at Ellis Island and everything was cool. Immigration nowadays moves at a snail pace. If illegals are breaking laws and just living off of government programs, cool. Get on out. If they're smart and helping this country, why not hold onto them?

It is 2012 and not 1912, we dont need a huge illegal workforce, unemployment is already all time high, population is to large in America too, we dont need illegals to add to the problem.

Why doesnt our government help the illegals to go to college in their OWN country and help their OWN economy since it is worse than ours and they need all the help they can get already.

It is 2012 and not 1912, we dont need a huge illegal workforce, unemployment is already all time high, population is to large in America too, we dont need illegals to add to the problem.

Why doesnt our government help the illegals to go to college in their OWN country and help their OWN economy since it is worse than ours and they need all the help they can get already.

Actually unemployment was at an all time high in the early 80s. Not now.

If there are qualified, intelligent young people coming to America, why in the world should we kick them out?

This is America. We're the country people go to make their lives better. That's what we are. Why would you want to change that?

Actually unemployment was at an all time high in the early 80s. Not now.

If there are qualified, intelligent young people coming to America, why in the world should we kick them out?

This is America. We're the country people go to make their lives better. That's what we are. Why would you want to change that?

Why do you think he wants to change it? Can't we enforce our laws and still be the place people go to make their lives better? Why do we have to suspend our own immigration laws to accomodate those who break them? Why should they get preferred treatment over those who are trying to actually obey our laws? Those are the issues I struggle with.