Parents file lawsuit against Elsmere Police Dept for shooting of son.

RomanEmpire

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Purely from a textbook legal point of view:

Is there a point where it's no longer acceptable for the officer to shoot? Or does the act of trying to run the officer over give him/her free reign?

I'd guess it's the former so that may be the angle.

That article lacks all the necessary facts to make an informed decision but in general terms if I am a police officer and you fight me and then hit me with your car I am going to stop the threat with every means possible.

I guess I misread the story initially. I thought the car incident with the officer on the bike happened in the lot , there was a subsequent chase, and THEN the shot was fired.

Now I read it and looks the shot was immediately fired after the officer avoided being hit IN the parking lot. I can't imagine how this suit would have any chance.

Keep in mind this is the police officer's version of what happened and the story changed a couple of times (could be bad reporting for all I know)... but the 21 year old boy will never be able to tell his side.

If I'm a cop and I shoot and kill someone, I'll make sure the story works in my favor.

Keep in mind this is the police officer's version of what happened and the story changed a couple of times (could be bad reporting for all I know)... but the 21 year old boy will never be able to tell his side.

If I'm a cop and I shoot and kill someone, I'll make sure the story works in my favor.

Again, show me were it said he shot and killed him? It does not say how the person died, just that a cop shot at him, and he drove into a pole.

Again, show me were it said he shot and killed him? It does not say how the person died, just that a cop shot at him, and he drove into a pole.

I'm not sure what your referencing but when the story broke it was determined that the boy had a bullet in him from the cop and the only question was whether he bled to death from the bullet or died from hitting the pole. The story went silent soon after and I never heard either way.