Why does Highlands refuse to be part of the Crosstown Showdown?

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last year during basketball season an all day event at Rupp Arena was scheduled to be played with teams from all over the state scheduled to play. About 3-4 weeks before the games were to be played the NCAA ruled that the games couldn't be played at Rupp Arena because a college team plays there and it would present an unfair recruiting advantage. They also said only KHSAA sanctioned events were allowed to play on college campuses or in their respective arenas. Is the Crosstown thing sanctioned by OHSAA or whatever they use up there?

Didn't know this, doesn't really make sense to allow KHSAA events but not others, whats the difference. In fact one could argue that KHSAA events at college campus/venues have an even bigger advantage as in most cause you have more D1 athletes on those teams rosters. Just out of curiousity does anyone know of a KHSAA state championship that is not played on some college campus/venue? Only ones I can think of is Golf, Cross Country, Soccer, Archery, Bass Fishing, Wrestling, Baseball and Bowling.

Football - WKU

Basketball - Rupp

Volleyball - Bellarmine

Softball - Kentucky Wesleyan College

Track - U of L

Swimming - U of L

Tennis - UK

Cheer - Morehead - tentative

Didn't know this, doesn't really make sense to allow KHSAA events but not others, whats the difference. In fact one could argue that KHSAA events at college campus/venues have an even bigger advantage as in most cause you have more D1 athletes on those teams rosters. Just out of curiousity does anyone know of a KHSAA state championship that is not played on some college campus/venue? Only ones I can think of is Golf, Cross Country, Soccer, Archery, Bass Fishing, Wrestling, Baseball and Bowling.

Football - WKU

Basketball - Rupp

Volleyball - Bellarmine

Softball - Kentucky Wesleyan College

Track - U of L

Swimming - U of L

Tennis - UK

Cheer - Morehead - tentative

Yeah, Boyle County was scheduled to play at Rupp and we were hyped!!! But alas we didn't get that chance.

Yeah, Boyle County was scheduled to play at Rupp and we were hyped!!! But alas we didn't get that chance.

Odd, very odd, so all these football camps and basketball camps and things are perfectly fine and its ok for the college coaches to work with the kids, but play an actually game there during your season and shame on you.

A guy who makes a living running his mouth is running his mouth about a program that he covets so that he can make more money for himself.

Very simple. Gamble wants to make money on his event. If Highlands plays in the event they provide promotability, a good game matchup with just about anybody, a great following. That's exactly what Gamble is looking for. In return he offers Highlands .....................????????............ Nothing that they can't get on their own. National exposure. Got it. A great matchup with a quality opponent. Got it. Playing in 'big time' facility with a playoff atmosphere....... I think the five playoff games every year and catching everybody's best game cover that. Facility? Papa Johns, Nippert, PBS, The Pit, Withrow... Been there, done that.

I think Highlands/ Dale Mueller have done an outstanding job scheduling now and in the past. Trinity, Male, Lou. X, Boyle, Danville, Scott Co., along w/Colerain, X, Elder, Trotwood, DeSales.

Years ago it was Dayton, CovCath, Newcath, Boone, Loydd, Newport, Scott,Simon Kenton, Holmes, and Campbell Co. Same schedule every year. I will gladly take the current scheduling. If H was doing what they always did would anyone complain. Could they still get recognition and rankings? They were in USA Today Super 25 with that schedule? Could they win state championships? Do ya think?

What other school of that size, either side of the river, takes on What Highlands takes on.

If you knew anything about Ft. Thomas, you'd know Dixie Chili rules.

Gold Star for me.:thumb:

Gold Star has been nothing but unbelieveable in there support of the Fort Thomas Jr. Football league over the years. Thank you Gold Star.

Anyone remember when they had the LaRoasa games at Riverfront? They brought in some very good teams. I remember watching Chicago Mt. Carmel run the option and it was quite the spectacle. I know Massilon played and their fans brought it.

I still remember Gamble and Skinny along with Don Weber on the Press Box. I had fun with that show.

I remember the LaRosa's games at Riverfront well. It was a short lived event, but it did bring in some good teams.

I remember one year, USA Today's preseason No. 1 team (maybe Altoona, Pa. it was a Pa. school for sure) came to the event and got blasted by Fairfield. Fairfield finished the season 6-4. I learned a lot about national rankings and how much stock to give them after that.

If you knew anything about Ft. Thomas, you'd know Dixie Chili rules.

In my best Spiros voice, I"ll bet he would say its because of the "secret spices".................................................Try and say that 10 times holding your tounge with your thumb and forefinger.

Dixie is home to Highlands student body after every Friday nite football game. :thumb:

In my best Spiros voice, I"ll bet he would say its because of the "secret spices".................................................Try and say that 10 times holding your tounge with your thumb and forefinger.

Dixie is home to Highlands student body after every Friday nite football game. :thumb:

That they are. But as Henry mentioned, for the last 10 plus years, the Newport Gold Star has donated food for the FTJFL fundraiser. If I recall properly, Dixie was asked first and said "no thanks". The firm I was with at the time represented Gold Star ownership. I asked and they said "sure". Put us in contact with Ike of the Newport location. They've been great supporters of the junior football league since and still are to the best of my knowledge. Know full well the FT connection with Dixie, but we support Gold Star because Gold Star supports the junior football league.

I have to say. This thread has been very enlightning. While I only partially understand some of the possible reasons behind Highlands conscious decision NOT to participate in this event which has been incredibly successful over the past 15 years, I still scratch my head while believing that the good far outweighs the bad. Either way, there is no debating the success of the program and what Coach Mueller has done with it. Only a fool would argue otherwise.

Best of luck to Highlands this year as they chase yet ANOTHER State Championship. They are a program and a community to be admired and copied.

-CardinalsFan

I have to say. This thread has been very enlightning. While I only partially understand some of the possible reasons behind Highlands conscious decision NOT to participate in this event which has been incredibly successful over the past 15 years, I still scratch my head while believing that the good far outweighs the bad. Either way, there is no debating the success of the program and what Coach Mueller has done with it. Only a fool would argue otherwise.

Best of luck to Highlands this year as they chase yet ANOTHER State Championship. They are a program and a community to be admired and copied.

-CardinalsFan

It shouldn't be that hard. The only reason that would even be rational is that Highlands had a desire to gain a little more credibility w/ Cincy's Big Four. 2 problems here. A. I'm sure that Highlands doesn't care what the fan bases at Elder, Moeller, St. X and Colerain think. B. Highlands can not play them at this event according to the KHSAA rules, so they would gain nothing from playing a Kentucky team that they could schedule on their own.

I would be the last person and I can not believe want I am about to say, but I agree about Highlands not playing in the thing.

Playing $10.00 or $12.00 dollars to see CovCath play Campbell at Dixie, plus giving up a home date, is just stupid.

Unless you are going to have special matchups and playing at UC or Paul Brown the Crosstown is a waste of time and money.

Hell just froze over.

I'm with you.