Why does Highlands refuse to be part of the Crosstown Showdown?

Highlands has nothing to prove by doing this. This is good for NKY up and coming programs that are looking for some exposure by playing an Ohio team (Holy Cross). Why would you play a team from KY that you could already schedule on your own and not have to split the gate with someone who has diarrhea of the mouth regarding your program? I would never miss a game of the Birds but if they played in this I would consider missing just because I don't want that man to get one red cent of my money.

Fortunately my son played we always got a GCL school which was fun. To play another NKY team is pointless.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is Cardinals Fan really Tom Gamble??? Sure sounds like it. By the way, I doubt Trinity would ever play in this either. Enjoy your season and all of us in the bluegrass state wish you nothing but luck and respect. What a great program Colerain has become.

Highlands has nothing to prove by doing this. This is good for NKY up and coming programs that are looking for some exposure by playing an Ohio team (Holy Cross). Why would you play a team from KY that you could already schedule on your own and not have to split the gate with someone who has diarrhea of the mouth regarding your program? I would never miss a game of the Birds but if they played in this I would consider missing just because I don't want that man to get one red cent of my money.

Do you honestly think the organizers of this event would pit Highlands against another Northern KY team?!?!

NOOOOOOOOO! They would match them up with an Ohio team that would generate buzz and create an interesting game for the region to see.

The short-sightedness of some of you folks absolutely astounds me.

-CardinalsFan

Fortunately my son played we always got a GCL school which was fun. To play another NKY team is pointless.

I agree.

All CovCath did was move a home game to Dixie, and the home schedule was a very weak one to begin with.

And on top of that playing at 6:00 which makes it a little more difficult on a Friday.

I agree.

All CovCath did was move a home game to Dixie, and the home schedule was a very weak one to begin with.

And on top of that playing at 6:00 which makes it a little more difficult on a Friday.

..and your pass doesn't work and it's more expensive.

Is Cardinals Fan really Tom Gamble??? Sure sounds like it. By the way, I doubt Trinity would ever play in this either. Enjoy your season and all of us in the bluegrass state wish you nothing but luck and respect. What a great program Colerain has become.

I'm not Tom Gamble...trust me. Just don't understand the venom being spewed towards Tom and this amazing event he puts together every year?

Thanks for the well wishes, despite the obvious sarcastic nature in which it was delivered. I wish you and yours well wishes.

-CardinalsFan

Do you honestly think the organizers of this event would pit Highlands against another Northern KY team?!?!

NOOOOOOOOO! They would match them up with an Ohio team that would generate buzz and create an interesting game for the region to see.

-CardinalsFan

Looking at the schedule, I don't see a whole bunch of north of the river against south of the river games this year, don't think they were there last year either.

Highlands does not want to play in it, get over it, let it go, move on to the next topic.

-CardinalsFan

..............and who is your choice for matching up with the Birds. HHS already has Trinity and Elder on their schedule?

So the 42 schools that are participating this year aren't "successful"?

Elder

Moeller

LaSalle

St. Xavier

Colerain

Centerville

Wayne

And on, and on, and on the list goes!

What are you going to say next year when Trinity is involved? That they too are not a " successful" team?

It's Highlands either ducking the spotlight or Dale carrying out some sophmoric grudge against Gamble. Either way it is stupid and deprives thousands from seeing a great football program in action.

-CardinalsFan

Not so sure why you're so worried about HHS's reputation? There are just as many (or more) that don't play in it every year. It's really up to them whether to play and it's not anyone else's business. I have never heard one of their players say "man, my high school career sucked because we didn't play in the showdown". They just don't care about it as much as you obviously do. And I don't think HHS ducks anyone. I actually think they seek out competition. They still play several of those teams over time. Just because they don't play in a showcase that some cardinal fan thinks is an elite event, doesn't mean they are ducking anyone. If the coaching staff and players at HHS are fine with it, why does it ruffle your feathers so much?

-CardinalsFan

I aim to please. Just wanted to make sure you got your money's worth. You knew you bit off too much as soon as you hit the post button. It's not being "short-sided," but being a fan. And nice steal from "Wedding Crashers" I like that movie too! I hope you enjoy the crosstown games this year. It'll be tough for all of us true birds fans NOT to get that experience of spending double the money to watch them play somewhere that charges for parking (Colerain) or at a place (Nippert) where you will be pan-handled, robbed, or attacked in the bathroom for wearing the wrong color jersey for your trouble. Not me. I'd rather tailgate at my house with my wife and family and friends, then enjoy that walk up the avenue soaking up the excitement, atmosphere, and rich tradition that is Fort Thomas on Friday nights in the fall. If you're not from here, you just don't get it. That's why these names of these kids are the same over and over, generation after generation. I bought in the first time I went to a game. It was like Christmas and the fourth of July (the cannon) all in one. By the way, happy 20th anniversary to my teammates from the 1992 state champs team. We wish you could be here with us Jonny McGraw!

One of my closest friends work with Gamble, and told me last season Highlands hands down said no way because they didnt want to play a GCL school to start off the season. Word is TG gets fired up at Highlands turning them down every year. Whatever the Birds have been doing for their program has been working amazingly, but if Dale wants thie National ranking he has talked about in the past he needs to step up and play as many power schools as possible. Who cares if they might lose a few games a year playing powerhouse football programs, because some seasonns they can beat those teams and will always be one on the nest teams in the state. I dont see how it could hurt Highlands in anyway. Is dale more worried about the perfect season and wins under his belt and spanking they same teams year after year, or will he step it up a notch in attempt to make HHS a national power, not only a state power. I think it would be awesome to see the Birds play some of the best teams from all over.

So that's an opinion of someone that works for Gamble. They don't duck anyone and I'm sure there is a reason. And quite frankly, even if he doesn't want to play a GCL school that early, that's their choice. Maybe it's risk of injuries that early in the season, who knows. But he seems to know what he's doing and he does schedule GCL schools in his regular season, so I'm not sure what your point it. I will take his judgement over yours. SK is a much bigger school than HHS, are you scheduling GCL schools every year?