Why wouldn't the SEC go after FSU?

stick1

When the SEC started expanding why wouldn't they go after FSU? I'm sure it's probably money and TV money. I would think FSU has a pretty big draw in the pan handle and surrounding areas along with some national interest from the 90's. Seems like they would be a great get as they are not bad drives to Fla, Geo, Aub, Bama, Ole Miss, Miss St, Ark and LSU. I'd love to see them in the SEC. Seems like they are the school the Big12 etc are after.

I thought I heard on ESPN radio one time (Cowheard I think, could be wrong) that the SEC can not go after FSU due to having Florida in the SEC. There was a specific reason and it escapes me, I will try to look and see if I can find it.

I believe Florida State chose the ACC over the SEC in 1990. The SEC, which had already invited Arkansas, chose to take South Carolina as it's 12th team. There could be some sour grapes from Florida State's original denial, to go along with the undoubted lack of interest from Florida in bringing on a state rival.

Why not add back Ga. Tech

Same reason as Florida State. Georgia (and probably Florida, South Carolina, Alabama, and Auburn) would veto adding Georgia Tech. Right now SEC schools can go into homes in the south and beat Georgia Tech in recruiting by simply asking kids if they want to play in the SEC or ACC. If Georgia Tech came on board, that's another team in the kid's house and a recruiting pitch that no longer works. Also, realignment is driven by TV viewers and adding new eyeballs. The Georgia Tech TV homes are the exact same as the Georgia TV homes - meaning no new eyeballs to sell to. That's why teams not in the current SEC footprint are always bandied about, teams like Texas A&M and Missouri this year, and then other potential programs like Virginia Tech and N.C. State.

Same reason as Florida State. Georgia (and probably Florida, South Carolina, Alabama, and Auburn) would veto adding Georgia Tech. Right now SEC schools can go into homes in the south and beat Georgia Tech in recruiting by simply asking kids if they want to play in the SEC or ACC. If Georgia Tech came on board, that's another team in the kid's house and a recruiting pitch that no longer works. Also, realignment is driven by TV viewers and adding new eyeballs. The Georgia Tech TV homes are the exact same as the Georgia TV homes - meaning no new eyeballs to sell to. That's why teams not in the current SEC footprint are always bandied about, teams like Texas A&M and Missouri this year, and then other potential programs like Virginia Tech and N.C. State.

Your right, let's go for a Va team

Your right, let's go for a Va team

I'm not saying I'm in favor of it. I'm just saying that conference expansion is driven by "new TV viewers." Virginia Tech would be considered a new market for the league and thus perhaps an option. The most important thing to keep in mind when discussing conference expansion is that success/power of the new team is far from the most important factor.

National University Rankings | Top National Universities | US News Best Colleges

Vandy comes in at #17

Florida at #58

UGA at #62

Bama at #75

Auburn at #82(tied)

Missou at #90(tied)

Tenn at #101(tied)

South Carolina at #111(tied)

UK at #124 (tied)

FSU and NC State are the 2 lowest ranked ACC teams. They are tied with several others at #101.

The only school outside the top 75 in the Big Ten is Nebraska, they are also tied at #101.

For those interested, The 'Ville comes in tied at #164

Don't get me wrong I think they go get VaTech and UNC. I would just love to see FSU football in the SEC. It is a storied program that sits in a great spot for the SEC. I wondered if Fla could keep them out. So can one team veto to keep an in state school out?