Ohio Senate wants welfare tied to clean drug tests

COLUMBUS, Ohio (WTW) — A pilot program that would tie welfare benefits to clean drug tests is making its way through the Ohio Senate, amid criticism that a recent change to the state's constitution makes the experiment illegal.

The Senate Finance Committee set a Wednesday morning vote on a provision allowing three Ohio counties to volunteer to administer drug tests to prospective welfare recipients, as a test run for taking the plan statewide.

Ohio Senate wants welfare tied to clean drug tests | Cincinnati.com | cincinnati.com

I get the principal behind it but the cost and the ill effects (children of drug abusers) makes this a dumb idea as far as I'm concerned. Welfare should be a temporary helping hand and not for people laying around using drugs but the cost of drug testing all receipients is akin to throwing the baby out with the bath water.

I have mixed emotions about it. Would it help end welfare abuse? Yes. It would curb it considerably most likely. What happens with a failed test? No more welfare? What about the kids? Do they become wards of the state because without welfare benefits those kids go hungry. What about the person who fails the test? Are they offered rehab? How long is their welfare suspended? Is it permanently suspended? What if it just weed? Is it urinalysis or hair test? Anybody can pass urinalysis at this point. I think it is a good idea at heart....however the cost of supporting something like this as well as just those few questions I have make me wonder if it can be as successful as they want it to be. It seems that either way it goes taxpayers are supporting welfare or the fallout of welfare regardless. If we have to pay then why don't we pay for a larger welfare fraud agency and find a better way to combat welfare abuse and fraud.

I get the principal behind it but the cost and the ill effects (children of drug abusers) makes this a dumb idea as far as I'm concerned. Welfare should be a temporary helping hand and not for people laying around using drugs but the cost of drug testing all receipients is akin to throwing the baby out with the bath water.
This has always been the stumbling block for me as well, children going hungry just because they are born to garbage parents.....But thinking about it again today, if they fail the drug test take kids away and give to a willing non-drug using family member...pull welfare from those failing drug test and pass on to those taking on added responsibility of taking care of their children....just my thoughts...fwiw

I support the idea. I also would like to see our govt. create a community work program for those that are on welfare. Require everyone receiving welfare to work 20 hours a week at schools, with the elderly, housing authority, local parks and rec. departments, etc...........

I was at a local gas station this week. While waiting in line for 10 minutes behind one person who was buying a lottery ticket with a food stamp card. It took the clerk 10 minutes but she eventually figured out a way to charge the card.

I know that not everyone on welfare is trying to beat the system. Part of my issues I work for the court system and meet people daily on welfare that are able to work but refuse to and out breaking the law. So my feelings have changed a lot over the years.

Good Idea . I had to take a drug test to be eligible to get a job and keep a job with my Union , and BTW the person being tested should have to pay for the testing since their anti-social actions grenerated the need for the test . Deduct it from their check .

I support the idea. I also would like to see our govt. create a community work program for those that are on welfare. Require everyone receiving welfare to work 20 hours a week at schools, with the elderly, housing authority, local parks and rec. departments, etc...........

I was at a local gas station this week. While waiting in line for 10 minutes behind one person who was buying a lottery ticket with a food stamp card. It took the clerk 10 minutes but she eventually figured out a way to charge the card.

I know that not everyone on welfare is trying to beat the system. Part of my issues I work for the court system and meet people daily on welfare that are able to work but refuse to and out breaking the law. So my feelings have changed a lot over the years.

This has always been my thought.

How much will "Mom" have to pay for daycare for her 3 children while she is working 20 hours per week? Or is the state going to pay for that?

How much will "Mom" have to pay for daycare for her 3 children while she is working 20 hours per week? Or is the state going to pay for that?

I would agree, except I do know that many receiving benefits do get subsidized day care already. I'm not sure how many actually put their kids in and don't work. But I do know that many receive benefits and do work, so the day care is a needed benefit for them. It would be interesting to know how many do not work and utilize that benefit. That could tell us whether there would be any added cost.

Where will the line be drawn? For those who say that they are receiving tax payer funds so they should be tested. Where does it end? We all use the roads we drive on and those are paid for with tax money. So why not drug test everyone? All public school kids should be drug tested to.

Where will the line be drawn? For those who say that they are receiving tax payer funds so they should be tested. Where does it end? We all use the roads we drive on and those are paid for with tax money. So why not drug test everyone? All public school kids should be drug tested to.

Should we test the unemployed?

Those on Medicare?