Sean Payton suspended for year!!

The NBA is garbage. It's no where near the product the NFL puts out every year IMO. God forbid the NFL try to help these guys out so that their life after football isn't miserable.

And PP are you really saying that since players are going to get hurt anyways, it's no big deal that a team and it's coaches were paying each other to intentionally injure other players? Yeah some of them were legal hits but I guarantee some illegal hits by the Saints were a result of a bounty.

Would it be okay with you if NBA Player were intentionally trying to hurt other players? Fouls are part of the game, as are injuries in the NBA. Why not let them go all out and knock each others heads off and get paid for the ones they knock out of the game?

Why not pay pitchers extra money for every super star they nail with a fast ball?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The NBA is garbage. It's no where near the product the NFL puts out every year IMO. God forbid the NFL try to help these guys out so that their life after football isn't miserable.

And PP are you really saying that since players are going to get hurt anyways, it's no big deal that a team and it's coaches were paying each other to intentionally injure other players? Yeah some of them were legal hits but I guarantee some illegal hits by the Saints were a result of a bounty.

Would it be okay with you if NBA Player were intentionally trying to hurt other players? Fouls are part of the game, as are injuries in the NBA. Why not let them go all out and knock each others heads off and get paid for the ones they knock out of the game?

Why not pay pitchers extra money for every super star they nail with a fast ball?

:lol:

I had a no layup rule at 12 years old playing for my Catholic school's middle school team. Truth. And I hated the Pistons except when they played MJ.

I played on baseball teams where payback was expected also.

Get real. The NFL has done such an awesome job of taking care of player's after football that Dave Duerson's family felt the need to sue the NFL because they cared so much about his life after football. Yeah, the NFL cares about it's players after football. It doesn't care about the players it cares about the product. The players are replaceable and always have been.

Dave Duerson's Family Sues the NFL Over His Suicide: A Fan Reaction - NFL - Yahoo! Sports

John Mackey's widow trying to tackle large issues - NFL - Sporting News

NFL Being Sued over Concussions : Football Tickets Online

What I am saying is simply that football is a dangerous, violent game with many risks. It takes a different kind of mentality to play or be close to the game. Especially at the level of the NFL. I can't be upset that a percentage of the players and coaches have a mentality of hurting the opposition in a sport that is that dangerous and violent. For me personally, bounties don't bother me. It's obviously a big deal. It's just a big deal that I think is overblown and an oxymoron for a sport as violent as football. I am in the camp that thinks football is modern day gladiators at play. And I enjoy watching them do what they get paid to do. Entertain me. Are you not entertained?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzdRhcwIRBE

Yep. NBA all day. Much better product, IMO. At this point the only thing better than the NFL over the NBA is fantasy football. IMO.

The NFL. Where one of the greatest coaches can't win the Super Bowl unless he videotapes the opposing team's practice.

The NFL. Where defenders get fined if he hits the receiver before he catches the ball and the receiver is ruled 'defenseless'.

The NFL. Where the QB is protected to the point that if a defender slaps the QB's helmet(intentionally or not) while trying to sack the QB then the defender is flagged.

The NFL. Where a defender can hit a receiver with his shoulder and it still be deemed helmet to helmet and the defender will be fined.

Which guess what all those things are still better than not getting to see games. All those things are better than having the guys who are officiating the games fixing them the way they want them to go down. The NFL where there is actual parity and teams can actually go from horrible to good in a year.

No doubt some of these silly rules like hits on a QB where a guy may accidently lay a finger on a QB's helmet is stupid, I hate that rule too. However you also have to realize why the NFL is having to do this. All these former NFL players who probably spent up all their money, are now coming back at the NFL trying to sue them for a lot of money. So the only way to the NFL can protect itself from losing money every single time players retire and have health problems, they have to show they have done whatever they could to prevent serious injuries. I can almost guarntee if there was not so many people coming after the NFL with health problems now, that the NFL wouldn't be doing as much when it comes to these rules. Their hand is basically being forced now. Yet even with all that they still don't take away games from us, and they still have us the best parity in sports.

I had a no layup rule at 12 years old playing for my Catholic school's middle school team. Truth. And I hated the Pistons except when they played MJ.

I played on baseball teams where payback was expected also.

Get real. The NFL has done such an awesome job of taking care of player's after football that Dave Duerson's family felt the need to sue the NFL because they cared so much about his life after football. Yeah, the NFL cares about it's players after football. It doesn't care about the players it cares about the product. The players are replaceable and always have been.

Dave Duerson's Family Sues the NFL Over His Suicide: A Fan Reaction - NFL - Yahoo! Sports

John Mackey's widow trying to tackle large issues - NFL - Sporting News

NFL Being Sued over Concussions : Football Tickets Online

You aren't posting things I haven't already read. Fact is the NFL is changing for the better regarding player safety. Most of that is coming under Goodell.

And punishing teams who intentionally hurt other players when player safety has clearly become a high priority deserves serious punishment. Well, that along with the fact that NO was told to stop, didn't stop, then tried to hide what they did. They were breaking the rules and they were arrogant about it. Good to see them get punished for that.

I don't want to see players hurting each other. I just want to see good football.

You can call them gladiators and talk about the mentality that it takes to play football all you want. It has nothing to do with this. Intentionally injuring other players and paying each other extra money is wrong on so many levels.

You aren't posting things I haven't already read. Fact is the NFL is changing for the better regarding player safety. Most of that is coming under Goodell.

And punishing teams who intentionally hurt other players when player safety has clearly become a high priority deserves serious punishment. Well, that along with the fact that NO was told to stop, didn't stop, then tried to hide what they did. They were breaking the rules and they were arrogant about it. Good to see them get punished for that.

I understand why they were punished. Doesn't mean I have to like it or agree with it.

I don't want to see players hurting each other. I just want to see good football.

You can call them gladiators and talk about the mentality that it takes to play football all you want. It has nothing to do with this. Intentionally injuring other players and paying each other extra money is wrong on so many levels.

We'll agree to disagree.

Which guess what all those things are still better than not getting to see games. All those things are better than having the guys who are officiating the games fixing them the way they want them to go down. The NFL where there is actual parity and teams can actually go from horrible to good in a year.

No doubt some of these silly rules like hits on a QB where a guy may accidently lay a finger on a QB's helmet is stupid, I hate that rule too. However you also have to realize why the NFL is having to do this. All these former NFL players who probably spent up all their money, are now coming back at the NFL trying to sue them for a lot of money. So the only way to the NFL can protect itself from losing money every single time players retire and have health problems, they have to show they have done whatever they could to prevent serious injuries. I can almost guarntee if there was not so many people coming after the NFL with health problems now, that the NFL wouldn't be doing as much when it comes to these rules. Their hand is basically being forced now. Yet even with all that they still don't take away games from us, and they still have us the best parity in sports.

Good point. They do have to show they actually care about the effects of playing football to protect the product going forward. I'll never be convinced they care about the players.

I'm a basketball guy. I can't be convinced football is better than basketball.

Whether you like the sport more or not it's obvious the NFL is a far superior product IMO. Every week in the regular season is great and the playoffs are awesome too.

The NBA season is long and boring. And the playoffs aren't anything special.

And thankfully you don't run the NFL. Because you disagree with the bounty gate punishments and sadwty measures the NFL has implemented, but you also say the NFL doesn't care about their players. How much worse off would players be if you ran the show? :lol:

Whether you like the sport more or not it's obvious the NFL is a far superior product IMO. Every week in the regular season is great and the playoffs are awesome too.

And thankfully you don't run the NFL. Because you disagree with the bounty gate punishments and sadwty measures the NFL has implemented, but you also say the NFL doesn't care about their players. How much worse off would players be if you ran the show? :lol:

Yes. The players should be very happy I am not in charge. :lol:

My only issue with the NFL's form of justice is the hypocrisy of it all. I knew of bounties existing in the NFL for years. You always hear about it. Happens at the collegiate level. The penalty is stiff because of a potential class action law suit the NFL is facing for neglecting player safety through its existence. They are being punished because this became public. In accordance with this decision, I think the entire NFL season could be cancelled if they "knew" of all bounties levied by each team through the years.

My only issue with the NFL's form of justice is the hypocrisy of it all. I knew of bounties existing in the NFL for years. You always hear about it. Happens at the collegiate level. The penalty is stiff because of a potential class action law suit the NFL is facing for neglecting player safety through its existence. They are being punished because this became public. In accordance with this decision, I think the entire NFL season could be cancelled if they "knew" of all bounties levied by each team through the years.

Everyone says this but it's not all that true. A bounty system where a few players reward each other for big plays...that's fine.

A bounty system where the d coordinator and head coach and GM and a convict are pitching in to the pot and putting money on an opposing players head...not the same.

Oh and not to mention the Saints were warned that they needed to stop....and didn't! :lol: If anyone deserved to be punished its them. Not only for being wrong but for being stupid.

And throughout the NFL I seriously doubt there are pay for injury bounty systems.