John Beilein Agrees to Become Next Coach of the Cleveland Cavs

What's going on at Michigan that would make him want to take this job? Wonder if it's a huge bump in salary?

I wouldn't say sizeable amount, but a little bit would be my guess. If he is ever going to make the jump, his age is getting up there to where there are not going to be many more opportunities to do so.

I can't really blame any college coach who'd want to make the jump to the NBA. Better talent, better accomodations/facilities, more money etc. On top of that, who really wants to recruit in today's climate? I sure wouldn't.

I can't really blame any college coach who'd want to make the jump to the NBA. Better talent, better accomodations/facilities, more money etc. On top of that, who really wants to recruit in today's climate? I sure wouldn't.

The money is interesting. At one time it was a better $$$ gig in the NBA, but the higher tier coaches in college are on par with NBA coaching salaries now. It is a big reason you do not see the jump as often as we used to. Downside to an NBA job is you most likely are not going to be around very long.

The money is interesting. At one time it was a better $$$ gig in the NBA, but the higher tier coaches in college are on par with NBA coaching salaries now. It is a big reason you do not see the jump as often as we used to. Downside to an NBA job is you most likely are not going to be around very long.

Gilbert is big in the Detroit market, he’s personal friends with Beilein and Izzo. He almost got Izzo 4-5 years back, this time he lures one of his friends to work for him.

Gilbert is big in the Detroit market, he’s personal friends with Beilein and Izzo. He almost got Izzo 4-5 years back, this time he lures one of his friends to work for him.

I had forgotten about the bolded. I wonder how that would have changed things, if at all.