Cannabis Treats ADHD Better than Adderall according to small Study

theguru

22 of the 30 patients opted to forgo their previously prescribed medications and use marijuana to manage their symptoms instead.

"Cannabis appears to treat ADD and ADHD by increasing the availability of dopamine," said Dr. David Bearman, a cannabinoidologist.

Here is a link to the article:

Groundbreaking Research: Cannabis Treats ADHD Better Than Adderall - Higher Perspective

This is from the Case Study that the article was based on:

The present case report suggests that individuals suffering from ADHD, a dysfunction with a symptomatic change in activity levels, may - in some cases - benefit from cannabis treatment in that it appears to regulate activation to a level which may be considered optimum for performance. There was evidence, that the consumption of cannabis had a positive impact on performance, behavior and mental state of the subject.The present observation corroborates previous data of Müller-Vahl et al. [8] suggesting that in patients suffering from Tourette syndrome, treatment with THC causes no cognitive defects. Gilles de la Tourette syndrome is a neuro behavioral disorder associated with motor and vocal tics as well as behavioral and cognitive problems. The authors also hypothesized that the effects of cannabinoids in patients may be different from those in healthy users suggesting an involvement of the central cannabinoid receptor systems in the pathology of the disorder. The same conclusion may be drawn from previous studies [1, 2] and the present case report, although more information on these atypical effects should be provided and the underlying mechanisms are still to be elucidated.

http://cannabis-med.org/data/pdf/en_2008_01_1.pdf

I feel like a broken record on the issue of Marijuana. We pump so many pills into people, we drink alcohol (a type of poison) like fish yet we have a multi-faceted plant (yes, that is right, a plant) that shows promise treating so many human conditions and generally speaking it is illegal and still classified as a Schedule I Drug by the Federal Government. Here is a short description from the DEA Website:

Schedule I

Schedule I drugs, substances, or chemicals are defined as drugs with no currently accepted medical use and a high potential for abuse. Some examples of Schedule I drugs are:

heroin, lysergic acid diethylamide (LSD), marijuana (cannabis), 3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine (ecstasy), methaqualone, and peyote

All I can think about on this issue is how many people have suffered needlessly because America doesn't have its act together on Marijuana.

Fortunately, times appear to be changing, slowly...

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd make the argument ADHD is the most over diagnosed health issue and adderall is the most over prescribed medication in America. That to go along with pain pills I feel over the last couple decades have poisoned or altered brain chemistry in our youth. So if they are going to over diagnosis I'd prefer a cannabis solution.

I'd make the argument ADHD is the most over diagnosed health issue and adderall is the most over prescribed medication in America. That to go along with pain pills I feel over the last couple decades have poisoned or altered brain chemistry in our youth. So if they are going to over diagnosis I'd prefer a cannabis solution.

Can’t say I disagree. I know quite a few people who probably wouldn’t have graduated college without the help of some Adderall. But as far as I’m concerned the cons have always outweighed the pros. I think the pros of cannabis definitely outweigh the cons.

I've always felt similar to that as well. Way easier to just put kids on adderall or ridilin.

For what it's worth, I believe the study.

@theguru, I completely agree. The eye-opening, mind-changing realization for me came from learning about it being classified as a Schedule 1 drug. It has no business there. It makes me question why.

Make it legal.

Legal across the board or medically legal? No problem here making it medically legal immediately.

100% agree on ADHD.

I'm all for legalization on all counts, but the troubling thing for me, though it's already happening, is the increase in irresponsible people driving stoned, and on top of that texting too. I've been noticing more and more people driving erratically, and though I can't say weather it's substance or texting related, there's no doubt that there's a disturbing upswing in driving distractions, and whereas I was once skeptical about them, it's starting to make me think that properly functioning dependable self-driving cars can't get here soon enough.

I'm all for legalization on all counts, but the troubling thing for me, though it's already happening, is the increase in irresponsible people driving stoned, and on top of that texting too. I've been noticing more and more people driving erratically, and though I can't say weather it's substance or texting related, there's no doubt that there's a disturbing upswing in driving distractions, and whereas I was once skeptical about them, it's starting to make me think that properly functioning dependable self-driving cars can't get here soon enough.

Well said!

Think of all the lives that will be saved period.

Annual Global Road Crash Statistics:

Nearly 1.3 million people die in road crashes each year, on average 3,287 deaths a day.

An additional 20-50 million are injured or disabled.

Road Crash Statistics

Legal across the board or medically legal? No problem here making it medically legal immediately.

Across the board. After I studied drugs in order to teach a unit in my forensic science class, I went directly from the "no way, are you crazy?" camp to legal across the board. It is absolutely hypocritical to allow alcohol and tobacco to be freely used and to have marijuana criminalized.

Across the board. After I studied drugs in order to teach a unit in my forensic science class, I went directly from the "no way, are you crazy?" camp to legal across the board. It is absolutely hypocritical to allow alcohol and tobacco to be freely used and to have marijuana criminalized.

It my mind it goes beyond hypocrisy and gets into criminal minded behavior.

Not to mention we are supposed to be Free in America.

It my mind it goes beyond hypocrisy and gets into criminal minded behavior.

Not to mention we are supposed to be Free in America.

Legalize drugs like heroin as well? Biggest issue with legalizing weed for me is there is no gauge on what is considered high. We have BA tests available but not limits on the level of weed in the system and the effects it causes.