Defensive PI's dropped to just 15 yards?

Saw this on Twitter yesterday. Sounds like the NFL is exploring with the idea of changing the way they enforce defensive pass interference. Instead of being a spot foul, sounds like they are talking about dropping it down to just a 15 yard penalty.

What do you think?

Sounds like a bad decision, in my opinion.

I'm intrigued by the idea of exploring a different way regarding this because the way that it currently is has always baffled me, and feels too much like a strategy that can be used in deceptive ways by the offense when it comes down to it being a judgement call anyhow that isn't completely scientific, and often times feels wrongly called.

And while it could go either way, lots of times it always felt too much like a gift that the defense has way more to unfairly lose in the situation.

I always took the way it was for granted, and never even considered that the NFL would consider looking into a change, but I have to say that I'm glad that they are. I don't know if it simply being a 15 yard penalty is the answer, and like it's been said, pass interference on deep balls will skyrocket, but the way that it is doesn't seem very fair either. Just my 2 cents.

They need to work on some type of sliding scale. It is absolutely ridiculous when a QB throws a hail mary to the end zone, the WR flops and draws the flag & the offense gets another play from the 1 yard line. With that said, a flat 15 yard penalty is insufficient as well.

I can't remember the last time I saw PI called on a Hail Mary play. I honestly don't know if I've ever seen it called in that situation. That's usually a non call.....the Eagles pretty much got away with it in the Super Bowl this year.

That being said, I think the current rule for DPI is just fine. Doing away with the spot foul would swing the advantage back over to the defense, and I think you'd end up seeing a lot more DPI's.

How about a 15-yard penalty or half the distance from the line of scrimmage to the spot of the foul, whichever is longer. So any pass interference within 30 yards of the line of scrimmage would be a 15-yard penalty. If the pass interference happens longer than 30 yards from the line of scrimmage, half the distance from the line of scrimmage to the spot of the foul. If pass interference happens 50 yards downfield, it is a 25-yard penalty.

How about a 15-yard penalty or half the distance from the line of scrimmage to the spot of the foul, whichever is longer. So any pass interference within 30 yards of the line of scrimmage would be a 15-yard penalty. If the pass interference happens longer than 30 yards from the line of scrimmage, half the distance from the line of scrimmage to the spot of the foul. If pass interference happens 50 yards downfield, it is a 25-yard penalty.

I like that much more than the spot foul.

I could live with that.

Something needs to change. Because I hate how it currently is. Initially, I'm a fan of the change.

I hate the automatic first down on Defensive Holding and Illegal Contact more than the current DPI rule. That affects the game more often than the occasional DPI on a deep ball.

I like your idea. But would the refs have to huddle to figure out the math? Video review?............................... (just kidding)