Courier-Journal 2017 All-State Football Team

Courier Journal 2017 Kentucky All-State high school football team

Lots of names you'd expect to see on the 1st team. Good looking cast of characters on the 2nd team and on the honorable mention list.

Some of the 1st teamers:

DL – Tahj Rice, Waggener

6-3; 287 Senior

DL – Jacob Lacey, South Warren

6-2; 300 Junior

DL – Stephen Herron, Trinity

6-4; 235 Junior

LB – Justice Dingle, Bowling Green

6-2; 235 Senior

DB – Jairus Brents, Waggener

5-9; 160 Senior

DB – Cory Trice, Christian County

6-4; 190 Senior

QB – A.J. Mayer, Covington Catholic

6-3; 205 Senior

WR – Rondale Moore, Trinity

5-8; 174 Senior

WR – Milton Wright, Christian Academy

6-3; 190 Junior

OL – Bryan Hudson, Scott County

6-4; 295 Junior

OL – Charles Allen, Doss

6-4; 285 Senior

Passing

Jersey

Player

Games

Played

Pass

Attempts

Pass

Completions

Interceptions

Net

Yards

Passing

Touchdowns

Pass

Completions

Net

Yards

per

Game

Touchdowns

Scored

Passing

per

Game

Sorry but these stats should not get you named all state, lot more qb's deserving

11 246 123 8ints 1743 12td's

Nick Bohn, Trinity

Position: QB

Credentials: As a senior — his only year as a starter — he converted 290 of 364 passing attempts this season, a 79.7 percent completion rate. That’s a national record, topping the previous all-time mark of 75.1 percent set by Leslie County star Tim Couch in 1994. Was part of back-to-back undefeated Class 6A titlists in 2016 and 2017.

Read more here: 2

Cameron Sizemore, Corbin

Credentials: His career total of 6,760 passing yards will place him among the top 100 quarterbacks in state history while his 85 career TD passes are good for 23rd all-time. Threw for 2,500-plus yards and 30-plus touchdowns in his final two seasons with the Redhounds, leading them to the state finals in 2017. Also finished with career rushing totals of 1,501 yards and 27 TDs.

Read more here: 2

Cameron Sizemore, Corbin

Credentials: His career total of 6,760 passing yards will place him among the top 100 quarterbacks in state history while his 85 career TD passes are good for 23rd all-time. Threw for 2,500-plus yards and 30-plus touchdowns in his final two seasons with the Redhounds, leading them to the state finals in 2017. Also finished with career rushing totals of 1,501 yards and 27 TDs.

Read more here: 217 Lexington Herald-Leader Class of the Commonwealth football team | Lexington Herald Leader

The award is for this year not his career. Has outstanding numbers but you say nothing about what he did this year. All the kid from CCH did was go out and play every game. They won and the coaches voted him to the team. I doubt that he was overly concerned about winning anything other than the state championship which is what they did.

The award is for this year not his career. Has outstanding numbers but you say nothing about what he did this year. All the kid from CCH did was go out and play every game. They won and the coaches voted him to the team. I doubt that he was overly concerned about winning anything other than the state championship which is what they did.

I am guessing his point is this: What did the CCH QB do that the Trinity QB didn't do that got the CCH QB named to the 1st team and other QBs named ahead of the Trinity QB?

Seems like a fair question. Bohn did everything any other QB did but at a 6A level against superior competition in state and out of state.

Don't get me wrong, I am very pleased that AJ Mayer was named as the top QB, but that is because I am from NKY. He had an impressive season and is worthy of the honor. Is he more worthy than the Trinity Qb? The question by @7UP is a valid question.

I am guessing his point is this: What did the CCH QB do that the Trinity QB didn't do that got the CCH QB named to the 1st team and other QBs named ahead of the Trinity QB?

Seems like a fair question. Bohn did everything any other QB did but at a 6A level against superior competition in state and out of state.

Don't get me wrong, I am very pleased that AJ Mayer was named as the top QB, but that is because I am from NKY. He had an impressive season and is worthy of the honor. Is he more worthy than the Trinity Qb? The question by @7UP is a valid question.

Yes, it is a valid question. Anytime you have these lists there is always someone getting left along the sidelines. From what I see, both kids have had seasons that anyone would be proud of. The kid from CCH got it on this list, on the next list could be the kid from Trinity. Subjective lists are just that, subjective. Who knows what the selectors were using for criteria? I was just asking what were the kid's 2017 numbers as opposed to his career stats. All that aside, both kids were worthy, they both had great seasons and above all they both won state championships.