Dale McMillen

Julian Tackett posted this on Facebook this evening:

Sitting in a restaurant by myself tonight, was thinking the poetry I heard most of the day listening to xm radio and the British announcers who have you thinking you are there on xm radio listening to the Open. The poetic waxing was wonderful.

Then I came across a post that literally shook me, actually bring tears I didnt care who saw to my eyes. Longtime radio man, coach and true friend Dale McMillen, according to his family, is in his final countdown tonight. He has fought illness gallantly but likely will lose that battle, yet head to a much more glorious place in a short while.

Dale was one of the first to reach out to me as a wet behind the ears SID at the KHSAA in 1984, and truthful was a friend to me the years before that when I worked on the sweet 16 and U.K. Stats crews. He offered suggestions, advice, wisdom and counsel.

And during the nearly 20 years I tried to make mike Michael Beitzel, Ken Shields, Rick Meyers and others evenings miserable at the old gym at NKU, I would always run into him a couple of times a year and get an update.

Later we became even closer as he coached the Lloyd slow pitch softball team during the years that our staff pitched in and ran the tournament in its last year's so those girls would have a participation opportunity.

Good night old friend, your work here was good and is done now. See you on the other side. Have the scorebook ready.

Having done play by play webcasting for Brossart High School athletics for the past 15 years now, there are many times that I reflect on the days that Dale and Hardy "painted the picture" over the radio waves.

These two were consummate professionals and broadcast a golden era of high school sports (basketball) here in Northern Kentucky.

Dale is truly a legend and will be greatly missed, albeit leaving his voice and calls deeply ingrained in our memories and our sub-conscious. You can write it down and circle it!

As a kid growing up in northern Kentucky, Dale was the one that got me interested in following high school sports, even in grade school. I listened to many of his high school and NKU basketball broadcasts of the years. He called the very first NKU basketball game in 1971 when they played Calvary at the old Newport High School gym. Then, in college, I did a weekly high school sports show on WHKK radio thanks to Dale. I think I remember the boy's state high school basketball tournament broadcasts the most, as he and Hardy Tribble provided many hours of entertainment as they broadcast all 15 games of the tourney each and every year.

It's also interesting to note that Dale's Sports Line show which aired on Monday-Friday from 5:30-6:00, was the first radio sports talk show in greater Cincinnati.

They had contests where if you answered a trivia question from Dale, you won 2 tickets to Kentucky Colonels basketball games when they played at UC's Armory Fieldhouse. Needless to say, Me and my dad got enjoy a number of ABA games thanks to Dale. Then, in college, I did a weekly high school sports show on WHKK radio thanks to Dale. After his WHKK days he was the voice of UC sports, and in 1981 called the UC-Bradley basketball game which the Bearcats won 75-73 in an NCAA record 7 overtimes which is still the longest game in NCAA history. I believe that an audio recording of that game is in the Basketball Hall of Fame. He was a great softball coach that had the respect of his players, opposing players and coaches as well as other media members.

As Mustang stated, he was truly a legend and will be greatly missed.

Dale was the first guy to reach out to me after I was hired as softball coach at Pendleton County. Every week, he'd go out of his way to check in, encourage me, etc.

This continued even after I resigned. We always tried to meet up for lunch, but my schedule, and his health never allowed that to occur.

We'll miss you, my friend.

Dale was truly a great person and he will be missed by many. Definitely a legend and one of my favorite broadcasters, especially for Ky high school basketball. Thoughts and prayers go out to him and his family.

What an awesome guy, Dale also coached fast pitch at Holmes until his health would no longer let him, him and Hardy were truly the voice of Northern Ky sports for so many years. God bless Dale and his family, truly one of the good guys.

I grew up listening to Dale as a grade schooler and then was honired to have him cover several of my High School games. He interviewed me a few times and was a true pro. Ill never forget when he asked ne about a behind the back bounce pass I made from the wing to my guy in the post. I said Dale ive been feeding him the ball the last 7 yrs and he is always on the same page. I probably shouldve called him Mr McMillan but after listening to tons of games over the radio I just felt like we were already old friends.

God Bless Dale McMillen.

Sorry to hear this about Dale. I won't pretend to know him well but did get to meet him a few times in my days at HHS playing hoops and baseball. I remember listening to a radio broadcast of a game I played in - after the game later that night. It was really cool listening to his pat sayings..."write it down and circle it" or "Jones from 18...he shot it 17"...

I will also never forget his radio show when he interviewed a bunch of us when we won the 9th Region baseball crown. He and Kenny Anderson interviewed us. I was on cloud nine for a year...great memories...

To echo everyone else, Dale McMillen is a legend in NKY and he was awesome!

RIP Dale

Dale was the consumate announcer. He told you what was happening and didn't inject his personal thoughts and opinions. Always great with the kids, coaches, refs, and everyone involved with the game. Great guy.