When is it "gossip"?

BigVMan23

Is it gossip anytime you talk about someone? Is there a line that has to be crossed...up to "this" point it's not gossip, after "this" point it's gossip.

I had a conversation about someone last night, and the question if the conversation could be considered "gossip" came up. I don't think it was.

So, what makes it gossip?

If you are talking about details about someone's else life, I consider that gossip. Doesn't make it bad, but I consider it gossip.

I personally believe gossip has more to do with talking about someone/thing that isn't based in fact, but rather conjecture, innuendo, rumor, etc. The conversation I had dealt with past factual events that occurred regarding a specific person, and I was asking questions to better understand the background of why a situation exists today as it does.

I don't necessarily look at gossip as a negative thing either, but if you're talking about someone else, it's gossip IMO.

I feel like its gossip if that person wouldn't want you talking about them and/or talking about a particular situation or detail. Granted, that leaves it really gray.

Agreed.

I feel like its gossip if that person wouldn't want you talking about them and/or talking about a particular situation or detail. Granted, that leaves it really gray.

I think it's gossip if and when there's any possibility that the individual whom you're sharing information about might not want that information shared freely and publicly.

I agree with both of these, and would like to add that if the person being talked about is done so without their knowledge, and isn’t granted the ability to give his/her first hand perspective regarding the topic to ensure that the information is passed along honestly and accurately, then depending on the motive of the person doing the gossipping they can pick and choose, exaggerate, slant, however they’d like only emphasizing whatever juicy bits and pieces they decide, all to tell the story in a way to give it its highest amount of sensationalism to paint things the way they want the person of the subject to be viewed knowing that the listener has no other input to better discern it legitimacy, and can only shape their view of the person accordingly, which in turn opens up the chance that potentially false information about the subject could then continue to be passed on down the line.

It’s really not fair to the subject who cannot defend what either true or false things have been said about them to help give the bigger picture of the circumstances, and ultimately they could find themselves in peculiar situations where others might treat them in unexpected ways where the reasons are completely unbeknownst to them, or it could even lead to bigger undesired damaging consequences where the subject has no clue as to why.

According to Merriam-Webster’s Collegiate Dictionary, 11th edition, gossip means: “A person who habitually reveals personal or sensational facts about others” and “rumor or report of an intimate nature.” I don't think gossip is a good thing because I wouldn't want to be called one.

I personally believe gossip has more to do with talking about someone/thing that isn't based in fact, but rather conjecture, innuendo, rumor, etc. The conversation I had dealt with past factual events that occurred regarding a specific person, and I was asking questions to better understand the background of why a situation exists today as it does.

It looks as if you're answering specific questions I've found useful, when in doubt.

What are my motives?

Then:

Is it true?

Is it necessary?

Is it kind?

The Three Gates of Speech - Philosophical Percolations

I hope your "friend" is well.

Edited by Runcible Owl

Or if some may consider it in bad taste to discuss the subject without that person present or them knowing about it.

It looks as if you're answering specific questions I've found useful, when in doubt.

What are my motives?

Then:

Is it true?

Is it necessary?

Is it kind?

The Three Gates of Speech - Philosophical Percolations

I hope your "friend" is well.

Sorta like the three questions I had to answer in the affirmative back during my working days when approving (or not) an expenditure by the CMHC.

Is it allowable?

Is it necessary?

Is it reasonable?