Should Anthony Rizzo be suspended for violating Rule 7.13?

Happened in the Cubs-Padres game. Rizzo, tagging up on a line drive to center, bowls over the catcher.

Here's the key points for me:

A). Catcher had the ball before contact

B.) Catcher set up off the plate (in this case, in front of it) to take throw.

C.) Runner clearly was on inside part of basepath (as screen shot shows) as he approached the plate.

Rizzo slide.jpg

To me, if they are going to award runs for catchers blocking the plate, then there has to be some repurcussions to the runner, other than just being called out (which he was anyway).

Let's not debate whether or not this should be a rule in the first place. It's a rule right now. And, as such, should Rizzo be suspended for violating it?

Happened in the Cubs-Padres game. Rizzo, tagging up on a line drive to center, bowls over the catcher.

Here's the key points for me:

A). Catcher had the ball before contact

B.) Catcher set up off the plate (in this case, in front of it) to take throw.

C.) Runner clearly was on inside part of basepath (as screen shot shows) as he approached the plate.

[ATTACH]62398[/ATTACH]

To me, if they are going to award runs for catchers blocking the plate, then there has to be some repurcussions to the runner, other than just being called out (which he was anyway).

Let's not debate whether or not this should be a rule in the first place. It's a rule right now. And, as such, should Rizzo be suspended for violating it?

Surely they already have some sort of policy in place for those who violate the rule. Was he thrown out of the game?

Surely they already have some sort of policy in place for those who violate the rule. Was he thrown out of the game?

To the best of my knowledge, he was not. He was called out on the play, as he was tagged by the catcher. The catcher did not drop the ball, so the umpire did not necessarily have a reason to enforce the rule from that perspective.

Dear Joe Torre,

That all seems fair.

Signed,

Ray Fosse

To be fair, the rule wasn't in place back when Pete and Ray met. And, I don't want to get into the debate on which way is more "correct". But, I have seen several teams (on defense) get penalized under this rule because the catcher was blocking the plate before he had the ball, and the run be allowed to score regardless of the play on the field. This is totally one-sided, if the runner has nothing to lose in running over the catcher.

To be fair, the rule wasn't in place back when Pete and Ray met. And, I don't want to get into the debate on which way is more "correct". But, I have seen several teams (on defense) get penalized under this rule because the catcher was blocking the plate before he had the ball, and the run be allowed to score regardless of the play on the field. This is totally one-sided, if the runner has nothing to lose in running over the catcher.

Other than the fact that he won't score a run.