Playoff structure question

OK, so the cross bracketing for playoffs moving forward has kind of slipped under the radar with the change of finals to Lexington.

Have always wondered why they do it in 5-A and 6-A (yeah, I know so St.X-Male-Trinity would only one get to the finals is real reason) and not the other classes. It's going to make a huge difference in the playoffs IMO.

With that said, I was bored tonight and looked up the 2017 matchups for 5-A and 6-A. Here's the link to the pairings LINK

Crazy thing is this....correct me if I am wrong but Trinity is opposite St. X and Male this year. Yes, we could see Trinity and Simon Kenton in second or third round!

But under this it would be a crazy start for Trinity because they would have to play the 5th place team from their own district in the opener because District 6 only has three teams and odd number years the 5th in 4th District goes to 4th in the 6th District.

Couldn't they have figured out that a little better?

But still, I think all classes will be better off with the cross!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it is one of the dumbest ideas the state has had. Consider this, in 2015 the #3 seed in class 5A/district 4, Doss, traveled to North Bullitt. In 2016, the #3 seed from this same district, Southern, had tot ravel to Dixie Heights. With athletic programs struggling with expenses, why rotate regions?

I love it. Without a doubt, I love it.

Are there some flaws? Obviously. But, at the end of the day, I think it makes for a much better experience, and gives some teams a chance to do something better. If I'm in 2A district 2, I'm glad I get to avoid Mayfield. If I'm in 3A, I'm glad I get to avoid Belfry.

You're giving other teams the chance to do something, instead of facing the same opponents and making the same trips in weeks 11 and 12. If I was a player, I'd love the chance to play a new team the next year. I think you'll get better support and more excitement about it. Allowing teams an opportunity to possibly win an additional game, or maybe even 2, is a huge deal to those specific programs. At the end of the day, most people know who is going to be playing in week 15. But, to those schools who get to play for a regional championship or on Thanksgiving? Those are dream seasons at probably 85% of the schools in this state.

I love it. Without a doubt, I love it.

Are there some flaws? Obviously. But, at the end of the day, I think it makes for a much better experience, and gives some teams a chance to do something better. If I'm in 2A district 2, I'm glad I get to avoid Mayfield. If I'm in 3A, I'm glad I get to avoid Belfry.

You're giving other teams the chance to do something, instead of facing the same opponents and making the same trips in weeks 11 and 12. If I was a player, I'd love the chance to play a new team the next year. I think you'll get better support and more excitement about it. Allowing teams an opportunity to possibly win an additional game, or maybe even 2, is a huge deal to those specific programs. At the end of the day, most people know who is going to be playing in week 15. But, to those schools who get to play for a regional championship or on Thanksgiving? Those are dream seasons at probably 85% of the schools in this state.

Avoiding Belfry is good, I guess. But it might also be nice for all those teams in 3A Region 2 to avoid the Region of Death every other year? Central, Boyle, Catholic, Bardstown, Garrard, & Western Hills (who probably has the best returning athlete in 3A - maybe the state)... Pretty tough region.

Doesn't this just make those first round blowouts worse?

Hey now travel 4 hours to get pummeled.

Regions should stay the same. Cross bracket the semis and play at neutral sites. This idea is just dumb and impractical. Seems to be pandering to the Lville private schools while ignoring what's best for the rest of the state.

Regions should stay the same. Cross bracket the semis and play at neutral sites. This idea is just dumb and impractical. Seems to be pandering to the Lville private schools while ignoring what's best for the rest of the state.

A lot of teams are already travelling around 4 hours in the first or second round already. I think it's just changing who is doing that now. A really good example would be in 3A, districts 1 and 2. That's a 3 1/2 hour at the least, type of drive in both the first and second rounds. In a year when it's switched, they're playing teams that are much closer to them than in district 1. In districts 3 and 4, those drives out west aren't much different than what district 2 currently has. That's just one side of one class. I've got to believe that it's pretty similar in other districts and other classes. Maybe not universal, but it's probably enough. I might do some of the numbers on it later.

A lot of teams are already travelling around 4 hours in the first or second round already. I think it's just changing who is doing that now. A really good example would be in 3A, districts 1 and 2. That's a 3 1/2 hour at the least, type of drive in both the first and second rounds. In a year when it's switched, they're playing teams that are much closer to them than in district 1. In districts 3 and 4, those drives out west aren't much different than what district 2 currently has. That's just one side of one class. I've got to believe that it's pretty similar in other districts and other classes. Maybe not universal, but it's probably enough. I might do some of the numbers on it later.

So the answer is jack up the number of teams traveling 4 hours?

When you cross district in rural KY every visiting team's trip goes up.

I have to say.....I think this is a bad idea. Too much travel. I would much rather completely eliminate the 4th seed team. Heck....I would go ahead and eliminate the 3 seed as well. Just the top 2 teams advance. Attendance is poor in those games....regardless who's playing.

So the answer is jack up the number of teams traveling 4 hours?

When you cross district in rural KY every visiting team's trip goes up.

By switching the teams who travel where, you aren't entirely increasing the number of teams. You're just changing who is and who isn't.

If team A is located 4 hours from team B and Team C, you don't have 2 teams driving that 4 hours, you simply take that burden off of one every other year.

Kentucky, with 6 classes, requires lengthy travel times almost universally. But instead of having the same teams doing it year in and year out, you're switching who travels when. The four hour drives are still there, it's just more universal now. Instead of Team B traveling that distance every single year, they now get opportunities to not travel that. That seems like a pretty great thing for them. Does it suck for Team C? Yeah, it does. But it does feel like it helps to balance out the traveling across the districts.

I love the change, and it would take a lot to sway me away from that.

If this proposed changed followed 2016...

2016 D3 vs D4

Central vs Garrard. 1 1/2 hr

Boyle vs Moore 1 1/2 hr

Bards town vs western hills 1 hr

Lex cath vs Waggoner 1 1/2 hr

D1 vs D4

Caldwell vs Garrard 3 hrs

Boyle vs Union 3 1/2 hrs

Paducah vs western Hills 3 1/2 + hrs

Lexcath vs Fort Campbell 3 1/2 hrs

I can't see how this is reasonable.

You're going to have to explain that one because I would say the whole playoff system we have now with 6 champions was to pander to the non-private schools.

If this proposed changed followed 2016...

2016 D3 vs D4

Central vs Garrard. 1 1/2 hr

Boyle vs Moore 1 1/2 hr

Bards town vs western hills 1 hr

Lex cath vs Waggoner 1 1/2 hr

D1 vs D4

Caldwell vs Garrard 3 hrs

Boyle vs Union 3 1/2 hrs

Paducah vs western Hills 3 1/2 + hrs

Lexcath vs Fort Campbell 3 1/2 hrs

I can't see how this is reasonable.

What about the drive times for D2? The changes cut down their drive times, without question.

What about the drive times for D2? The changes cut down their drive times, without question.

Sure it does, but one of the four years would see this worst case scenario if the new cross brackets follow the upper classes.

Even when you do D1 vs D3 and D2 vs D4 there are plenty of trips that are an hour or more longer than the current alignment.