Playoff structure question

You're going to have to explain that one because I would say the whole playoff system we have now with 6 champions was to pander to the non-private schools.

Then it's even, but no reason to spread this nonsense throughout the rest of the state.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure it does, but one of the four years would see this worst case scenario if the new cross brackets follow the upper classes.

Even when you do D1 vs D3 and D2 vs D4 there are plenty of trips that are an hour or more longer than the current alignment.

Well, I guess it's all in how you look at it. There's a lot of teams that are really close in all classes and districts, who would end up playing each other. Are there going to be years when a team gets a really potentially long drive? Yes. But, when they get a much shorter drive for the next two years, you don't think they'll be glad for that? If I was a coach who had the chance to eliminate a 4 hour drive for 2 out of 4 years, I'd be down with it.

This change offers the opportunity to take the travel burden off of the same teams and the same districts every year. I'm a big fan of that.

Well, I guess it's all in how you look at it. There's a lot of teams that are really close in all classes and districts, who would end up playing each other. Are there going to be years when a team gets a really potentially long drive? Yes. But, when they get a much shorter drive for the next two years, you don't think they'll be glad for that? If I was a coach who had the chance to eliminate a 4 hour drive for 2 out of 4 years, I'd be down with it.

This change offers the opportunity to take the travel burden off of the same teams and the same districts every year. I'm a big fan of that.

Which teams would benefit from a shorter drive due to cross bracketing?

Then it's even, but no reason to spread this nonsense throughout the rest of the state.

You call it nonsense, I call it trying to get some interest in early round games rather then watching the same yearly match-ups against teams you've likely already played during the regular season. The fact that the NKY 6A ADs all requested no cross distracting at that level doesn't have anything to do with your opinion does it?

Which teams would benefit from a shorter drive due to cross bracketing?

Just looking at the KHSAA alignment information, it just appears on the surface that on each side of the bracket, you're taking the travel burden off of 1 district for 2 years.

The question you then have to ask, would be how much of an issue do you have with spreading that travel burden away from those same 4 or 5 schools? And is this change worth it for the potential 2nd and 3rd round matchups?

You call it nonsense, I call it trying to get some interest in early round games rather then watching the same yearly match-ups against teams you've likely already played during the regular season. The fact that the NKY 6A ADs all requested no cross distracting at that level doesn't have anything to do with your opinion does it?

I couldn't name 5 NKY 6A teams :lol2:.

Again I'm not opposed to semis or throw the regions finals together with another set of region finals. The first two rounds should stay the same.

I couldn't name 5 NKY 6A teams :lol2:.

Again I'm not opposed to semis or throw the regions finals together with another set of region finals. The first two rounds should stay the same.

Then I apologize, mistaken identity. But if the first 2 rounds stay the same you get the same tired matchups annually. Quite frankly I don't care what they do in the other classifications, I can only speak to what I see Imuch prefer cross bracketing in 6A.

Then I apologize, mistaken identity. But if the first 2 rounds stay the same you get the same tired matchups annually. Quite frankly I don't care what they do in the other classifications, I can only speak to what I see Imuch prefer cross bracketing in 6A.

At the end of the day, in the 2nd round you're looking at pretty much the same 8 teams every year. From where we were using 3A west earlier, I looked at that and of the 8 teams in the past 2 seasons, 7 of the teams were the same. 6 out of the 8 games, were the exact same games. The two years before that, 6 of the 8 teams were the same. The 2 years before that, 6 of the 8 teams were the same.

I'll still maintain that I think the travel burden being shifted around is something I think is a benefit, but the fact that it's the same teams every year does make for different matchups. Period.

Guest T Rocks

All this complaining about drive times is crazy...for the last 6 years I have travelled to all of T's games both in state and out of state games...the point is I don't have any kids playing for T.... I go because I love watching high school football and I like how T runs there program....I've seen some parents complain when the game is 30 min down the road so now that the rant is over I'm all for cross bracketing gives me a chance to see and visit schools I would normally never see

This reminds me of the presidential election! Apparently, the schools overwhelmingly supported this move (close to 80% on the voting) but fans are upset. It is just like the 4 teams making the playoffs argument. Every time there is a vote, the schools approve to keep it but the fans complain. There is a disconnect somewhere!

Let's just be fans and support our teams!

This reminds me of the presidential election! Apparently, the schools overwhelmingly supported this move (close to 80% on the voting) but fans are upset. It is just like the 4 teams making the playoffs argument. Every time there is a vote, the schools approve to keep it but the fans complain. There is a disconnect somewhere!

Let's just be fans and support our teams!

I agree with 4 teams. I agree with 6 classes.

Not this move. I'm interested to see if all these schools did the math. One year for your district will be a doozy.

So is 5A the only class that Two of the Districts don't cross bracket?

Four districts never cross in 5A (1, 2, 7, & 8). The 6A plan gives everyone an amount of time opposite the Louisville powers. The 5A plan was set up to allow Distirct 6 to get away from District 5 (The CC-Highlands). District 5 was placed into the West for 2 of the three years in the original cross-bracket plans. The 5A plan still leaves BGHS, Christian Co., Owensboro, South Warren, & Graves Co. in the same region every year. 4 of those 5 schools have been in a final since 2014. Christian was last there in 2010. Looks like competive balance was important for certain schools, not worried about for others.

Four districts never cross in 5A (1, 2, 7, & 8). The 6A plan gives everyone an amount of time opposite the Louisville powers. The 5A plan was set up to allow Distirct 6 to get away from District 5 (The CC-Highlands). District 5 was placed into the West for 2 of the three years in the original cross-bracket plans. The 5A plan still leaves BGHS, Christian Co., Owensboro, South Warren, & Graves Co. in the same region every year. 4 of those 5 schools have been in a final since 2014. Christian was last there in 2010. Looks like competive balance was important for certain schools, not worried about for others.

True, it's all about who is complaining the loudest and who has the best contacts to make real changes to the system.