Who likes oatmeal?

BigVMan23

I do. I like all kinds, and the pre sweetened flavored ones are ok, but staying away from those. I really like the raw, steel cut oatmeal...the kind you have to cook on the stove top about 30 minutes. Cook it with water and a little milk, butter and salt, sweeten it with a little honey and a touch of brown sugar. Had me a big bowl of it the other night. Gosh it was yummy and very hearty (unlike the flavored instant kind, not very filling/hearty).

Anyone else an oatmeal fan?

I love oatmeal. Like you, I prefer steel cut. Quaker is actually making a microwave 3-minute instant variety of the steel cut oats now days. I give them a definite thumbs up.

Also, I don't generally go for much of anything at Trader Joe's, and I rarely (if ever) go for anything pumpkin flavored that isn't pumpkin pie...but Trader Joe's has instant rolled oats in a pecan pumpkin flavor that are insanely good. I could eat them for dessert.

Love good ole fashioned oatmeal. Steel cut is great too. Walnuts, brown sugar, and raisins is my go to. Sometimes I do just dried cherries. Also been known to squirt in some agave nectar or golden raisins.

I never do the instant stuff or flavored.

I love oatmeal. Like you, I prefer steel cut. Quaker is actually making a microwave 3-minute instant variety of the steel cut oats now days. I give them a definite thumbs up.

Also, I don't generally go for much of anything at Trader Joe's, and I rarely (if ever) go for anything pumpkin flavored that isn't pumpkin pie...but Trader Joe's has instant rolled oats in a pecan pumpkin flavor that are insanely good. I could eat them for dessert.

Haven't seen that one out there...may have to check that out. I actually got the Quaker steel cut oats (regular kind), that's what I had the other night. I had never noticed the Quaker brand steel cut oats before either, had always gotten an Irish brand (McCanns) but the Quaker was a little cheaper and got that. Seemed to be about the same as the Irish brand.

I love oatmeal, but never really got into the old fashioned kind. I've never tried "steel cut" and to be honest, have no idea what that it. It's always been instant flavored oatmeal for me, though I do add some fresh fruit, butter, milk to it to doctor it up.

I love oatmeal, but never really got into the old fashioned kind. I've never tried "steel cut" and to be honest, have no idea what that it. It's always been instant flavored oatmeal for me, though I do add some fresh fruit, butter, milk to it to doctor it up.

JD, you need to try steel cut if you like oatmeal. Steel cut haven't been processed and "rolled flat" so they look more like a dark rice grain would be the best way to explain it. They have a much more chewy texture and a nice nutty flavor and are much more hearty and filling (I think) than rolled oats. Takes a while to cook them, but I think you will really like it.

JD, you need to try steel cut if you like oatmeal. Steel cut haven't been processed and "rolled flat" so they look more like a dark rice grain would be the best way to explain it. They have a much more chewy texture and a nice nutty flavor and are much more hearty and filling (I think) than rolled oats. Takes a while to cook them, but I think you will really like it.

I had some Steel Cut at a restaurant a while back, first time for me. They were really good.

I'll definitely give them a try.