Anyone Remember Sub-Districts?

For a few years in the late 1970s and early 1980s (1979-86), the KHSAA adopted some sub-districts in football. Instead of a six-team district, it was divided into two sub-districts of perhaps three teams each. I don't know why it was done; perhaps for travel reduction or allowed teams to play more rivals. But not every district was divided.

When playoff time came, the two sub-district winners would meet in the first round. My question is for some of you who might have been around back then: was the winner of that game considered the district champion or did both teams get trophies for winning the sub-district?

Thanks!:thumb:

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I played at Laurel County at that time, and we were in a subdistrict with Madison Central and GRC. I am not sure what they recieved, if anything, as we never won it, ... I believe that MC won it all 4 years from 1979-1982. We beat GRC a few times, but never could beat MC. I don't remember it actually being called a subdistrict, but it very well may have.

I played at Laurel County at that time, and we were in a subdistrict with Madison Central and GRC. I am not sure what they recieved, if anything, as we never won it, ... I believe that MC won it all 4 years from 1979-1982. We beat GRC a few times, but never could beat MC. I don't remember it actually being called a subdistrict, but it very well may have.

I actually don't think that was a sub-district. I think that district only had three teams! It was Class AAAA, Region III, District 2. They were opposite a district with four Lexington teams. Madison Central did win it in 1980 and '81. GRC won it in '79 and '82.

In western Kentucky, at least, it was done for travel reasons.

I don't know if anyone got sub-district hardware. As I recall, there were some years the "district title game" was played on the final weekend of the regular season. I remember one year that a couple of teams lost their last game of the season because their scheduled opponents were playing for a district championship.

I actually don't think that was a sub-district. I think that district only had three teams! It was Class AAAA, Region III, District 2. They were opposite a district with four Lexington teams. Madison Central did win it in 1980 and '81. GRC won it in '79 and '82.

You are right, only 3 teams in that district. The only thing I knew for sure wat that Laurel County never won it. The closest was probably 1981 when LC beat GRC by 20 and lost to MC 6-3. In 1980, LC was 6-0 and ranked #3 in the state, .. lost to Bryan Station and then fell apart against MC.

Ya when I looked at the playoffs form '79-'86 some teams had to play a playoff game so they could play in the Quarterfinals like we do today. Why other teams first game in the playoffs was the Quarterfinals, how was the playoff format set up, does anyone know?

Ya when I looked at the playoffs form '79-'86 some teams had to play a playoff game so they could play in the Quarterfinals like we do today. Why other teams first game in the playoffs was the Quarterfinals, how was the playoff format set up, does anyone know?
Those were sub-district winners meeting for the district title ...

Under the old sub-districts in 1980 Highlands lost to Newport in AAA. Highlands went 9-1 and missed the playoffs. Newport was led by David Simpson father of current Simon Kenton star Miles Simpson.

The two sub-districts in NKY for AAA at the time were

Highlands

Newport

Newport Catholic

Scott

and

CovCath

Conner

Lloyd

?

The district champion was the winner of the game between the two sub-district champions.

In '81 Highlands defeated Conner and won State AAA

in '82 Highlands defeated CovCath and won State AAA

in '83 Conner defeated Highlands and won State AAA

I remember the sub-districts well.

Boyle did not play in a sub-district until 1983. That year the old District was chopped up with Boyle, Russell County, Casey in one side and Somerset, Wayne County and someone else (Garrard?).

1983: Russell County won their side with an undefeated season and Somerset theirs. The Jumpers beat the Lakers and went to the state finals.

1984: Boyle took their half and the Jumpers their half. Somerset overcame a 10-7 deficit going into the 4th quarter and poured it on behind Massey and Fletcher for a 38-10 win.

1985: I think Somerset won the whole district again.

1986: Russell County upset Ed Rall's last Boyle team but lost again I think to the Jumpers.

Danville went into Sub-District in 1981 I believe. I recall Jessamine, Estill, and that may have been it. If memory serves here was how they fared:

1981: Won their half but lost in the District Title game to Woodford (?)

1982: Again won their half but lost in the title game to Franklin County.

1983: Won the whole district by beating Cawood and David Hensley. Lost a heartbreaker to eventual state champ Conner (21-3).

1984: Won the whole thing, district and State and went 13-0. :dancingpa

1985: Beat Cawood again (?) but lost in the Regional to Newport in a very sloppy NKY mess.

1986: Won the District and Regional (Highlands) but lost a heartbreaker to Belfry in the Semi-Finals.

Maybe someone else can fill in the blanks.

As I recall, no one was given a title unless they won the District playoff game.

(1)Boyle did not play in a sub-district until 1983. That year the old District was chopped up with Boyle, Russell County, Casey in one side and Somerset, Wayne County and someone else (Garrard?).

In 1983 the district was divided into two. Sub-1 was Boyle, Casey, and Russell. Sub-2 was Corbin, Middlesboro, Wayne and Somerset. Garrard went back down to 1A in 1983.

(2)Danville went into Sub-District in 1981 I believe. I recall Jessamine, Estill, and that may have been it.

You are correct about Danville's split in 1981, but your teams are off. Region II, District 2, Sub-1 was Danville, Harrison and Montgomery. Sub-2 was Franklin, Scott County, Western Hills and Woodford.

At the same time Region III, District 2 was also split. Sub-1 there had Bell, Cawood, Knox Central, Rockcastle and Whitley. Sub-2 had Casey, Estill, Jessamine, Lincoln, and Mercer.

Hatz, I believe you were thinking about the alignment from 1983-86. Danville was in Region III, District 2. Sub-2 had the Ads, along with Estill, Jessamine and Lincoln. Sub-1 was again Bell, Cawood, Knox Central, Rockcastle and Whitley.

I think that's how it all played out.

Under the old sub-districts in 1980 Highlands lost to Newport in AAA. Highlands went 9-1 and missed the playoffs. Newport was led by David Simpson father of current Simon Kenton star Miles Simpson.

The two sub-districts in NKY for AAA at the time were

Highlands

Newport

Newport Catholic

Scott

and

CovCath

Conner

Lloyd

?

The district champion was the winner of the game between the two sub-district champions.

In '81 Highlands defeated Conner and won State AAA

in '82 Highlands defeated CovCath and won State AAA

in '83 Conner defeated Highlands and won State AAA

I think the ? team was Simon Kenton.

I remember the sub-districts well.

Boyle did not play in a sub-district until 1983. That year the old District was chopped up with Boyle, Russell County, Casey in one side and Somerset, Wayne County and someone else (Garrard?).

1983: Russell County won their side with an undefeated season and Somerset theirs. The Jumpers beat the Lakers and went to the state finals.

1984: Boyle took their half and the Jumpers their half. Somerset overcame a 10-7 deficit going into the 4th quarter and poured it on behind Massey and Fletcher for a 38-10 win.

1985: I think Somerset won the whole district again.

1986: Russell County upset Ed Rall's last Boyle team but lost again I think to the Jumpers.

Danville went into Sub-District in 1981 I believe. I recall Jessamine, Estill, and that may have been it. If memory serves here was how they fared:

1981: Won their half but lost in the District Title game to Woodford (?)

1982: Again won their half but lost in the title game to Franklin County.

1983: Won the whole district by beating Cawood and David Hensley. Lost a heartbreaker to eventual state champ Conner (21-3).

1984: Won the whole thing, district and State and went 13-0. :dancingpa

1985: Beat Cawood again (?) but lost in the Regional to Newport in a very sloppy NKY mess.

1986: Won the District and Regional (Highlands) but lost a heartbreaker to Belfry in the Semi-Finals.

Maybe someone else can fill in the blanks.

As I recall, no one was given a title unless they won the District playoff game.

Yes, 21-13, last time I ever suited up. :cry:

I believe in 1985 CovCath finished 9 - 1 and didn't make the playoffs.

A 6 - 4 Lloyd beat the Colonels head to head. Both teams finished 2 - 1 in the subdistrict and Lloyd went to the playoffs on the strentgh of the head to head win over CovCath.

Corbin went 9-1 in 1978 and 1981 without making the playoffs and I believe they also went 9-1 in 1983 and also stayed at home. They sandwiched 3 state titles and a runner-up finish during that same period with titles in 1976, 1980 and 1982 were a one point loser to Mayfield in 1977.