Anyone Remember Sub-Districts?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes that is how it was. We all couldn't get by Bardstown and if we did we had to play Fort Knox. Tough!

And those were some good Washington County Teams. Jeff Smith, Larry Smith, Earl Cocanougher, Jeff Brantley, the Sidebottom kid. I remember how tough those guys played us (Boyle) every year and how those games were all pretty good slugfests. :thumb:

In 1985 either Corbin or Middlesboro won that sub-district. Somerset finished 2-7.

Thanks. I think I remember the Jumpers having a bad slide after the Fletcher/Massey teams left. Didn't know it was that quick. :thumb:

Thanks. I think I remember the Jumpers having a bad slide after the Fletcher/Massey teams left. Didn't know it was that quick. :thumb:

You're welcome. My freshman year was Massey/Fletcher's senior season. We really dropped off the next couple of years. We ended up 2-7 in 85 and 0-9 in 86 before going 9-4 and making the state semis my senior year.

You're welcome. My freshman year was Massey/Fletcher's senior season. We really dropped off the next couple of years. We ended up 2-7 in 85 and 0-9 in 86 before going 9-4 and making the state semis my senior year.

What happen to Somerset to go form 2-7 and 0-9 to 9-4 and the state semi-finals?

I recall the sub-districts, senior season 1980 - Newport against Conner - Conner won 21 - 16. Newport had a great season - was undefeated during the season. The 1980 season was one of Newport's best teams. A lot of hard nosed players on the team - Simpson, Slaughter, both Ewing brothers, Salter, Stephens, Henley, Pope, Switzer, Baldwin, Chambers, Schnelle, Kilburn, Smith, and so many more - sorry if I may not have mentioned anyone but this team was good. The amazing thing was that the entire sub-district was awesome - Highlands was loaded along with NewCath. In fact, NewCath had so much talent that season - but the injuries got the best of them.

Those were some GREAT rivalry games........I would add a couple of names from the Wildcats that year if I'm not mistaken,: Woodruff at QB, Mitch Mayes, Allen Griffith (OL), Eric Herald, a real nice team. Agreed that HHS & NC were also strong that year but the Newport upset of HHS was legendary with Slaughter injured and Simpson rushing for 250 yds. to defeat perhaps the strongest Highlands team to not win state (or even make the playoffs under that ridiculous system). Although admittedly the rivalry was heightened because you HAD to win those games to move on. The prior year HHS upset both NC & Newport to move on and shut the other two out of the playoffs.........wild times !

And those were some good Washington County Teams. Jeff Smith, Larry Smith, Earl Cocanougher, Jeff Brantley, the Sidebottom kid. I remember how tough those guys played us (Boyle) every year and how those games were all pretty good slugfests. :thumb:

We did have some good teams those were some good players that you have mentioned. It was hard to get by Bardstown and Fort Knox. I know that they won the region in 79 I beleive and got beat by Fort Campbell in the semis who went on to win the state.

What happen to Somerset to go form 2-7 and 0-9 to 9-4 and the state semi-finals?

The senior group of 84 were mostly 2 and 3 years starters and we had several of them. The group that were seniors in 85 were pretty good players but had little game experience and consequently lost a lot of close games. A schedule that included Corbin, Middlesboro, Danville, Belfry, Madison Central, Laurel County and Bryan Station didn't help. We were really inexperienced at quarterback and had a converted halfback playing there. Also we had no kicking game. Both the Belfry and Middlesboro games were decided on missed PATs. My junior year in 86 was just an all around disaster. We began the year with about 10-12 seniors but due to injuries, illness and some players being kicked off of the team we finished the year with only about 3-4 playing any signifigant time. At the beginning of the year, with most of our roster intact we played Warren Central (who made either the 4A finals or semi-finals) down to the last seconds when another blocked extra-point decided the game. By about mid way through the season Coach Cain decided to go ahead and start playing a bunch of freshman and sophmores to build for the next couple of years. Also during the 85 and 86 seasons Wayne County chose to drop out of the sub-district and not play Somerset so that cost us a couple of wins there.

When I was a senior in 87 the lumps we took in 86 really paid off. We were really a sophmore/junior dominated team at the skill positions but we had a lot of seniors on the line and on defense that created a nice mix. Out of our 4 losses 2 were to state champion Danville. It was a heck of a turnaround to go from 0-9 to 9-4 and the state semi-finals.

The senior group of 84 were mostly 2 and 3 years starters and we had several of them. The group that were seniors in 85 were pretty good players but had little game experience and consequently lost a lot of close games. A schedule that included Corbin, Middlesboro, Danville, Belfry, Madison Central, Laurel County and Bryan Station didn't help. We were really inexperienced at quarterback and had a converted halfback playing there. Also we had no kicking game. Both the Belfry and Middlesboro games were decided on missed PATs. My junior year in 86 was just an all around disaster. We began the year with about 10-12 seniors but due to injuries, illness and some players being kicked off of the team we finished the year with only about 3-4 playing any signifigant time. At the beginning of the year, with most of our roster intact we played Warren Central (who made either the 4A finals or semi-finals) down to the last seconds when another blocked extra-point decided the game. By about mid way through the season Coach Cain decided to go ahead and start playing a bunch of freshman and sophmores to build for the next couple of years. Also during the 85 and 86 seasons Wayne County chose to drop out of the sub-district and not play Somerset so that cost us a couple of wins there.

When I was a senior in 87 the lumps we took in 86 really paid off. We were really a sophmore/junior dominated team at the skill positions but we had a lot of seniors on the line and on defense that created a nice mix. Out of our 4 losses 2 were to state champion Danville. It was a heck of a turnaround to go from 0-9 to 9-4 and the state semi-finals.

That maybe the biggest turnaround by any team in state history that I know of and thank you for the info. AverageJoesGym.

That maybe the biggest turnaround by any team in state history that I know of and thank you for the info. AverageJoesGym.

Boyle County went from 1-9 in '91 to 7-4 and a playoff team in '92.

The difference? John Griggs left and Chuck Smith arrived. :thumb:

Not as big of a turnaround, but close.

Boyle County went from 1-9 in '91 to 7-4 and a playoff team in '92.

The difference? John Griggs left and Chuck Smith arrived. :thumb:

Not as big of a turnaround, but close.

The year after that was a big turn around '93 2-8 to '94 9-4 quaterfinals, what a great coach in Chuck Smith and the author of both.:ylsuper:

I recall the sub-districts, senior season 1980 - Newport against Conner - Conner won 21 - 16. Newport had a great season - was undefeated during the season. The 1980 season was one of Newport's best teams. A lot of hard nosed players on the team - Simpson, Slaughter, both Ewing brothers, Salter, Stephens, Henley, Pope, Switzer, Baldwin, Chambers, Schnelle, Kilburn, Smith, and so many more - .

Conner had the better coach.

Before the sub districts Corbin, Middlesboro and the old Bell co (before consolidation) were in the same district. Last game of the regular season was Corbin/Middlesboro. Winner went to the playoffs loser stayed home.

The 1983 team was/is considered one of, if not the best at Corbin. I also think it was one of the best teams in Somerset history. I think Corbin scored first and missed the extra point. Then drove the ball up and down the field but never could punch it in.

Before the sub districts Corbin, Middlesboro and the old Bell co (before consolidation) were in the same district. Last game of the regular season was Corbin/Middlesboro. Winner went to the playoffs loser stayed home.

The 1983 team was/is considered one of, if not the best at Corbin. I also think it was one of the best teams in Somerset history. I think Corbin scored first and missed the extra point. Then drove the ball up and down the field but never could punch it in.

That was a great game. Actually Somerset scored early on a long run on a quarterback keeper by Massey. Corbin answered but went for 2 and their pass was tipped and went out of the back of the endzone. From their the defenses dominated. Most of the rest of the game was played between the 30's.

Those were 2 great teams. The 83 team might have been the best ever, if not it was probably the 82 team that didn't make the playoffs but beat Corbin at Corbin when the Redhounds took state. My freshman year in 84 was a great team as well. Our only loss that year came to Newport Catholic and Frank Jacobs in the state semis.

Please tell me about what old Bell Co. was like before the consolidation campbellfield? I am a bet of a history buff when it comes to KY high school football.