Public/Private Debate: A Scenario (guru please read!)

jbwill2

All this talk about the upcoming KHSAA vote has got me thinking...

I remember that the guru wrote of BGP awhile ago that he didn't think the non-Big III 4A schools had much of an argument about Trinity and Saint X having an unfair advantage, mainly because he didn't think those other 4A schools put enough time and effort into building up their own football programs to compete with X and T. I also remember the guru writing on BGP awhile ago that he believes Highlands, more than any other football program in the state, historically gets more out of what they have to work with than any other program, with regard to things like time, effort, training, commitment, etc.

So, considering all that, here's a scenario I'd like the guru and others to consider:

Say that CovCath, under their new coach, returns the Colonels to a championship level (LIT has them tops in the entire state right now). This athletic success, coupled with the fact that CCH is an outstanding academic school, could very easily lead to CCH attracting even more NKY-area talent. Say that this cycle continues until CCH completely dominates Highlands in football on a consistent basis.

The guru's previous argument that catholic schools don't have an unfair advantage is predicated on the fact that many of the "complaining" schools don't work hard enough at building their own programs to compete. But this isn't the case for Highlands... in fact, they work as hard or harder than anyone in the state. If CCH begins consistently dominating HHS, even though HHS is working and preparing as much as they possibly can, then what would this say about the relative advantage of a private school's football progam compared to a public school's football program??? If this were to happen over the next 10 years, would (and should) Highlands be voting in favor of kicking out the private schools when the vote comes up again, say 10 years down the road???

If this scenario indeed played out, would it offer proof that catholic schools have an unfair advantage over public schools?

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If this scenario indeed played out, would it offer proof that catholic schools have an unfair advantage over public schools?
I think it's evident that private schools have an advantage over public schools in some areas, although I don't think I would characterize it as "unfair."

LOL... It looks to me to be more of a pre-emptive "excuse" should Highlands fall behind the Colonels.

The "reasoning" you're using above holds no more water in NKY than it does in Louisville. In other words, CovCath would then be attracting superior athletes for the RIGHT reasons - superior academics AND athletics...

Here's the problem with one of your assumptions as I see it.

Lets say a kid in Campbell or Kenton County and his parents are deciding where they want to go to high school and football is a consideration. Unless they have a strong conviction about a Catholic education and what it entails , why would they pay $6k+ to go to CCH when they could pay less as an out-of-district student to go to HHS and receive and excellent education (without the religious teachings)? I don't see it. There will be some that will due to maybe being closer in proximity to CCH but I don't think proximity is enough to offset the additional expense.

Add Beechwood in as an option (great football - great academic reputation) and that supports my theory even more. I believe it costs about $2k to go to Beechwood if you're out-of-district.

I would say that a lot of the non-BigIII 4A teams aren't putting what they need to into the game to be competitive with bulldozers like X and T, but I don't think it would be fair to characterize ALL the teams as not putting the effort in.

I have a question: does CCH offer "scholarships" to students? If so, what are the criteria for receiving them? Do any current CCH football players have a "scholarship?"

Also, does Highlands offer "scholarships" to out-of-district students? If so, are any on the football team?

Here's the problem with one of your assumptions as I see it.

Lets say a kid in Campbell or Kenton County and his parents are deciding where they want to go to high school and football is a consideration. Unless they have a strong conviction about a Catholic education and what it entails , why would they pay $6k+ to go to CCH when they could pay less as an out-of-district student to go to HHS and receive and excellent education (without the religious teachings)? I don't see it. There will be some that will due to maybe being closer in proximity to CCH but I don't think proximity is enough to offset the additional expense.

Add Beechwood in as an option (great football - great academic reputation) and that supports my theory even more. I believe it costs about $2k to go to Beechwood if you're out-of-district.

I'm pretty sure it's more than $2k to go to Highlands but not as much as CCH, if you're out of district. Anyone know how much it is at NCC?

I have a question: does CCH offer "scholarships" to students? If so, what are the criteria for receiving them? Do any current CCH football players have a "scholarship?"

There are 4 $1500 scholarships given out to the top 4 incoming frosh based off of the entrance exam.

There is a Brian/Kenny Williams scholarship given to an incoming frosh and its based off of a couple of factors with financial need being a big one.

There are no other scholarships as far as I know.

If a child's family has a financial need in order for that child to attend, they can apply for the 'work study' program. For example, a boy I know has to work about 50 or so hours during the school year after school in order to offset the reduction in tuition that he was granted. There are many kids at CCH who are in this program.

There are 4 $1500 scholarships given out to the top 4 incoming frosh based off of the entrance exam.

There is a Brian/Kenny Williams scholarship given to an incoming frosh and its based off of a couple of factors with financial need being a big one.

There are no other scholarships as far as I know.

If a child's family has a financial need in order for that child to attend, they can apply for the 'work study' program. For example, a boy I know has to work about 50 or so hours during the school year after school in order to offset the reduction in tuition that he was granted. There are many kids at CCH who are in this program.

Does anyone know if HHS has a similar "work study" program set up for out-of-district students?

Also, if a CCH student is on this "work study" program, how much money would it then cost to attend CCH for a year?

Does anyone know if HHS has a similar "work study" program set up for out-of-district students?

I doubt it.

Also, if a CCH student is on this "work study" program, how much money would it then cost to attend CCH for a year?

It depends on your financial need.