Rob Bell controversy

If you don't know who Rob Bell is I would suggest asking your kids. If they know who he is, I would pay very close attention to what they read for spiritual guidance and be sure you agree with it.

Bell is someone who isn't new to controversy in his first book he questioned the virgin birth's importance. Now he is apparently questioning if Hell exists and teaching that everyone eventually goes to heaven. There has been a firestorm erupt in the evangelical community over his newest book in the past week. It's set for release March 15 or 16th I believe.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't even imagine how difficult it must be for non-Catholic Christians to find reliable books that they can consider to be free of doctrinal errors. The Catholic systems of Nihil Obstat and Imprimatur make error-free religious works easy to distinguish. Good luck to those of you trying to figure it all out.

If you don't know who Rob Bell is I would suggest asking your kids. If they know who he is, I would pay very close attention to what they read for spiritual guidance and be sure you agree with it.

Bell is someone who isn't new to controversy in his first book he questioned the virgin birth's importance. Now he is apparently questioning if Hell exists and teaching that everyone eventually goes to heaven. There has been a firestorm erupt in the evangelical community over his newest book in the past week. It's set for release March 15 or 16th I believe.

Just out of curiosity, if the virgin birth is so important why is it not mentioned in Mark, probably the earliest of the gospels and certainly not in John? Not saying it is not important, but how does that change anything about my faith? And FWIW there are all kinds of protestant faiths that question the existence of Hell as it is commonly pictured for us now. Even good protestants. Also, why would I not want my child to be exposed to it. My son is 13 and we have had some good conversations about scriptural interpretation - big bang vs 7 days, etc.

HT721: You do realize that the bloggers criticizing the book and making assumptions about both it's contents and Rob Bell's views have not read the book. As you said - it has yet to be released.

Several of them have had access to a large majority/the whole book. It varies from commentator to commentator. But copies of it are out there for preview for some of the commentators. I do realize not all have read it though. However, I've followed Bell's work long enough it doesn't surprise me. He has been around for several years now and with each book becomes more outside the mainstream.

Just out of curiosity, if the virgin birth is so important why is it not mentioned in Mark, probably the earliest of the gospels and certainly not in John? Not saying it is not important, but how does that change anything about my faith? And FWIW there are all kinds of protestant faiths that question the existence of Hell as it is commonly pictured for us now. Even good protestants. Also, why would I not want my child to be exposed to it. My son is 13 and we have had some good conversations about scriptural interpretation - big bang vs 7 days, etc.

The virgin birth certainly helps Christ avoid original sin. That's why I see it as important. The question of Hell in this book as well is that it doesn't exist. I.E. that no one goes to hell everyone will go to heaven. While I certianly believe in Hell I don't know what it is. Before the reformation Hell was viewed as very cold and rendering of Satan were blue instead of red. This thought process was based on the idea that God is light, God is warmth, so whatever is not of God is without light and without warmth, i.e. cold. So what hell is and why it's so awful is certainly debatable. But to me it's not debatable is that Hell is real and those who don't follow Christ will be there.

Just out of curiosity, if the virgin birth is so important why is it not mentioned in Mark, probably the earliest of the gospels and certainly not in John? Not saying it is not important, but how does that change anything about my faith?

Old Testament prophets said the Messiah would be born of a virgin, so if he wasn't then the prophets were wrong, meaning Scripture is flawed, meaning Christianity is based upon a book it claims is accurate but isn't.

Old Testament prophets said the Messiah would be born of a virgin, so if he wasn't then the prophets were wrong, meaning Scripture is flawed, meaning Christianity is based upon a book it claims is accurate but isn't.

There are lots of contradictory scripture and stories that don't jive. Jesus also said that not one generation would pass before he returned. Paul clearly stated that Jesus was coming in his lifetime. Is that not "flawed"?

I believe in the Virgin Birth.

That said, the OT passage in Isaiah that is often referred to does not say a "virgin shall conceive" in the original Hebrew text. It uses the word for maiden. The two concepts are not the same in Hebrew.

The term "virgin" came from the Septuigant which was the Greek translation of the Hebrew scriptures which was the common man's Scriptures by the time of Jesus. (Sorta a Jew's KJV if you will)

When Matthew later uses the Isaiah prophecy in his gospel he quotes it as "virgin" from the Septuigant, not the original Hebrew text.

I've read Rob Bell for years. He is unorthodox and I don't agree with everything he says but he does make me think. That is his greatest gift. He does a very good job of presenting the scriptures in a new light but with the original context respected.

As to the debate on Hell reported to be included in this new book, I'll have to wait and read it for myself. I remember Dr. Honeycutt at Southern being blasted for a part of his commentary on 2 Kings when it was clear that he was not doubting the truth of the Scripture but expanding on what may have been the story behind the narrative. Most who attacked him never read his commentary or the particular section but regurgitated (sp?) what they were told by someone else.

One thing I could imagine worth discussing when it comes to the concept of Universalism is Philippians 2 when Paul said that everyone would kneel, bow and confess Christ as Lord. Is that hyperbole? Coersion? Universalism?

Discussion is never a bad thing in any circumstance and Rob Bell has a track record for starting conversations whether you agree or disagree with him.