Joe Paterno dies at the age of 85

EZ Living

I am not sure exactly how I feel. When I was growing up, all I wanted to do was play for Penn St. When I realized I wasn't nearly good enough to play for him, I still followed the program. Joepa was much more to Penn St than football. He lived in the same modest house he bought 50 years ago and donated millions of dollars to the school. Anyone whoever played for him talk about him like a father. He made sure his athletes were not only athletes, but students.

Having said all that, I try to give him a pass on the Sandusky incident. But I keep thinking if it was my kid, I would not be able to control my anger for him. I would obviously be upset with Sandusky and especially the assistant who didn't stop it. But Paterno was the head man at that school. And he should have done more to protect the kids that came after the incident.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I say died of a broken heart from the way he was treated by the board of trustees, shame they wouldn't let someone retire the way he deserved too.

If he truly was this amazing and well respected man, I'd like to think that his broken heart was from the guilt and shame that he did not do more.....(and from battling cancer at age 85)

If he truly was this amazing and well respected man, I'd like to think that his broken heart was from the guilt and shame that he did not do more.....(and from battling cancer at age 85)

I think it was a combo, I think the man truely felt remorse and recognized that he didn't do enough, but in my mind that doesn't discredit all of the other good that he did do. He is human, he admitted he made a mistake, for those that think he should be crucified the same as Sandusky I just think that's not fair. Again to each their own but he didn't do nothing, he didn't act like he wasn't in the wrong and he didn't say it wasn't his fault but yet he's been treated more harshly than the man that committed the crimes.

Figure of speech and not even close to the same, hell he even made a movie reference.

He only quoted Kill Bill list after he bragged how he would kill all who knew and probably figured out he shouldn't be on here threating to kill people, isn't there a law against treating to kill people

^

I would think I'd have some idea if a 'close friend' of mine may be a child molester. It I believed there might have been a chance of it beig true then I would have done something regardless of the fact of whether he was my friend or not. It's that simple.

If you had some idea then I doubt you would be close friends with them. Usually if you have a close friend, you wouldn't think of them as being capable of something like that. Thats why I think its easy for people to say they would have gone straight to the police, however I don't think many people would have especially when it was about a friend. He did ther right thing by telling his hire up's, and I sure hope he called out Sandusky on it next. I know that would have been one of the next things I would have done. Which honestly if they are a good friend, you can tell by how they respond if they are telling the truth. So I am with it you, if I felt even a little bit that they were lying I would have gone straight to the police.

Here is the next question how would people feel about JoePa if the higher ups took action and called the police when they heard about it like they should have too? Then not many people would have said anything about how he did the wrong thing, because action was taken even if he never went to the police himself. There is so many people in the wrong here, including him. Someone needed to do something once they realized no one had gotten hold of the police yet. However it seems like more people are acting more mad at him, than the person who actually did it. Also the person who actually saw it, and didn't do anything. Then waited a day before even telling JoePa. I mean someone mentioned how they would have killed JoePa if it was their kid, but JoePa would have been the last of my concerns at that time. My attention would have been getting my hands on Sandusky if it was one of my kids or just anyone in my family.

Quite simply that he didn't tell the Police isn't as big of an issue to me as him allowing Sandusky around countless numbers of kids after that and being around Penn St any longer. Even more disturbing is him admitting he wishes he would have done more and he didn't know a man could rape a child.

See I can agree with you on that. Once he realized that his higher ups didn't actually go the police, he could have taken action himself. Especially by not allowing Sandusky on campus.

See I can agree with you on that. Once he realized that his higher ups didn't actually go the police, he could have taken action himself. Especially by not allowing Sandusky on campus.

Exactly. Even more disturbing is everyone knew he was around kids a lot. Not only did they allow that to continue but they kind of encouraged it. PSU had football players do work for the charity. Its all sick

If you had some idea then I doubt you would be close friends with them. Usually if you have a close friend, you wouldn't think of them as being capable of something like that. Thats why I think its easy for people to say they would have gone straight to the police, however I don't think many people would have especially when it was about a friend. He did ther right thing by telling his hire up's, and I sure hope he called out Sandusky on it next. I know that would have been one of the next things I would have done. Which honestly if they are a good friend, you can tell by how they respond if they are telling the truth. So I am with it you, if I felt even a little bit that they were lying I would have gone straight to the police.

Here is the next question how would people feel about JoePa if the higher ups took action and called the police when they heard about it like they should have too? Then not many people would have said anything about how he did the wrong thing, because action was taken even if he never went to the police himself. There is so many people in the wrong here, including him. Someone needed to do something once they realized no one had gotten hold of the police yet. However it seems like more people are acting more mad at him, than the person who actually did it. Also the person who actually saw it, and didn't do anything. Then waited a day before even telling JoePa. I mean someone mentioned how they would have killed JoePa if it was their kid, but JoePa would have been the last of my concerns at that time. My attention would have been getting my hands on Sandusky if it was one of my kids or just anyone in my family.

You are right in that none of us know how we would react. I could not imagine what was going through the GA's mind or Paterno's when the news broke. With that said, Paterno was as high up as it got and did nothing. Reporting to "superiors" that in effect report to you does not count. It was not just the fact he was aware of what had taken place and did nothing, it was the fact it continued to take place and a blind eye was turned. We are talking over a decades worth of pedophilia that he was aware of.

He will be remembered as a tragically flawed man. A great head football coach - one of the best of all time - but through old age, being out-of-touch, elevated to near God-like status in his own little world, or a combination of these and other factors; a man who ultimately should have done more and will be measured by more than wins and losses.

For most of the people who still support him, I think we have seen it was just not by the wins and losses. Basically everyone who actually knew Paterno seems to support him still. Those people probably know he made a BIG MISTAKE, and just like him admits he could have done more. However they also seem to know about all the good things he has done for people his whole life outside of football. Everyone who actually knew the man, knew how good of a man he was. And how it is also wrong to act like he was such a bad person because of this. Nobody at Penn State at that time acted or did the right thing. So that is why I'm not sure what to think on it. It is a situation none of us know for sure how we would have handled it, unless we were there. Ultimately he made the wrong decision by not doing more, however for people to act like the only good ever did was on the football field is wrong too. From all the people who had been around him, it seems that he did so much more even off the football field.

It is a difficult situation all the way around, and what is sad is. That it seems like more people are forgetting the one who was actually behind all of this, the man who is the reason for this all. Which was Sandusky.