Christmas

I know its early and still a few weeks away. But want everyone to give some stories, reflections, comments, thoughts. I look at the word Christian which mean to be Christ like, you see the word Christ in the word and also in Christmas.

I love this time of the year and one time tried to call every old friend I could think of/find and give them a call. I chose to leave the lady friends alone, due to well, y'all know.

I have several stories, but will only share one or two close to the day. I also was told once that since the Bible doesn't mention anything about Jesus's birthday being celebrated its wrong to do so. Interesting debate that I get into every year. (Mama's birthday isn't in the Bible and we do hers)

I also love several of the songs...O'Holy Night" is a favorite, and it is hard to sing. We have several CDs of different artist. But of course a good one is all the old songs.

Why do we give gifts? I'm easy to buy for. Do athesists do anything at all, do they work on the holiday?

Looking forward to reading your comments.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My favorite Christmas song is "O Come, O Come Emmanuel"

I love that song. Those who know me are aware of -- and sometimes barely tolerate -- my fascination with all things ancient. The melody is derived from an 8th-Century Gregorian Chant and the antiphons are at least as old, some speculate as early as the 5th century. They don't come much older than that.

I especially love the inherently liturgical nature of that song. It perfectly exemplifies the two-fold nature of Advent. Not only are Christians in anticipation of the historical Christmas and all it represents, but the season is about looking forward to the time when Christ comes again. Spectacular.

I love that song. Those who know me are aware of -- and sometimes barely tolerate -- my fascination with all things ancient. The melody is derived from an 8th-Century Gregorian Chant and the antiphons are at least as old, some speculate as early as the 5th century. They don't come much older than that.

I especially love the inherently liturgical nature of that song. It perfectly exemplifies the two-fold nature of Advent. Not only are Christians in anticipation of the historical Christmas and all it represents, but the season is about looking forward to the time when Christ comes again. Spectacular.

I whole heartedly agree

I agree. I was aware that it was an old melody. Didn't know all the details.

A few years ago I bought mama a gift and was so excited about it I gave it to her a couple of weeks before Christamas, and now we ask each other if there is anything we want, and let each other pick it out. (She would always take gifts back) the one I gave her early she kept. Last nite we did that and she is realy happy, I also surprise her with other gifts its fun opening gifts.

So, why do you think we give gifts to each other at Christmas?

A few years ago I bought mama a gift and was so excited about it I gave it to her a couple of weeks before Christamas, and now we ask each other if there is anything we want, and let each other pick it out. (She would always take gifts back) the one I gave her early she kept. Last nite we did that and she is realy happy, I also surprise her with other gifts its fun opening gifts.

So, why do you think we give gifts to each other at Christmas?

Isn’t gift giving at Christmas derived from the three wise men bringing gifts to baby Jesus?

I believe that would be true. Even though the Wise Men came to visit Jesus as he was a little older.

Before we would open up gifts I would read the Story of Jesus's birth like Linus would do for Charlie Brown's group, now my boys are too big. Maybe this year I'll do it again.

I know it was written after Christ's birth, but isn't it pretty much from the perspective of Israel waiting for the Messiah?

In the same vein, "Joy to the World", though sang mostly at Christmas time, is really about the Second Coming of Jesus, not His birth.

My fav Christmas song is "O Holy Night."

I also was told once that since the Bible doesn't mention anything about Jesus's birthday being celebrated its wrong to do so. Interesting debate that I get into every year. (Mama's birthday isn't in the Bible and we do hers).

Up until the mid 1800's, Catholics were pretty much the only people who celebrated Christmas in the US (Eastern Orthodox Christians did too but they really were not in the US until later).

Most protestants didn't celebrate believing that doing so was too Catholic. The practice spread beyond Catholics more due to it being commercialized than celebrating Christmas being accepted as a legitimate religious practice unfortunately.

In my profession, the abject misery I see every year at this time really makes it difficult for me to feel the CHristmas spirit. I have 4 kids, and on Christmas Eve, they and the wassail I make every year help alleviate the pain some, but I don't feel the joy I really should as a Christian.

I'm pretty much anti-Christmas. Don't know why, just never really gotten into it. I prefer pretty much any other holiday over it. :idunno:

:scared:

He's not along. I do not much care for Christmas either. Five years in retail hell will do that to a guy. Nothing like seeing grown women fistfight in the aisles over the last available Gameboy or Tickle-Me-Elmo to get you in the Christmas spirit.