Christmas

I know its early and still a few weeks away. But want everyone to give some stories, reflections, comments, thoughts. I look at the word Christian which mean to be Christ like, you see the word Christ in the word and also in Christmas.

I love this time of the year and one time tried to call every old friend I could think of/find and give them a call. I chose to leave the lady friends alone, due to well, y'all know.

I have several stories, but will only share one or two close to the day. I also was told once that since the Bible doesn't mention anything about Jesus's birthday being celebrated its wrong to do so. Interesting debate that I get into every year. (Mama's birthday isn't in the Bible and we do hers)

I also love several of the songs...O'Holy Night" is a favorite, and it is hard to sing. We have several CDs of different artist. But of course a good one is all the old songs.

Why do we give gifts? I'm easy to buy for. Do athesists do anything at all, do they work on the holiday?Looking forward to reading your comments.

I participate with my family. Give gifts to the kids. I have worked on Christmas Eve before, though mainly to give the people in my department with kids the day off. My work gives me Christmas day off and company is closed down. I don't do any of the religous stuff associated with Christmas. With all the commercialization it has become pretty easy to celebrate Christmas in a non-religous way. For instance, I don't do anything out-of-the-norm for Easter and just treat it like any other Sunday. I look at it more like a time to spend with my family and to see the joy on the young uns eyes when they get their gifts.

All that aside, I still don't really get into the "Christmas spirit" or particularly look forward to this time of year.

I did buy a Christmas album on vinyl this year, so I'm trying...a little. :D

Edited by formerkywrestler

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'll never forget when I was 8/9 years old I started collecting change to buy this autographed poster of Shaq at a local card shop. I would look at this thing every time we went to the mall. I went through everyones couch and car that I possibly could. I would do chores and help family and friends rake leaves etc... trying to earn a few bucks. Well long story short I eventually saved up the hundred bucks they were asking for it, went to the store to buy it with my parents. When we got there it was gone, I cried for days. Well a few months later I had all but forgotten about it when Dad brings it out of the basement in a huge frame. That was easily my favorite Christmas memory from my childhood. Still kind of bitter that my parents let me cry for days knowing that they had already bought it, but you get over that with time.

When I was 4 years old, my parents asked me what I wanted for Christmas. My response: "gummy bears". They told me they were sure I would get some gummy bears, and asked what else I wanted for Christmas. My response: "gummy bears". Then my mom took me to talk to both of my older brothers. My oldest brother told me I should ask for a skateboard, models, and some Star Wars figures like he was, and my other older brother told me to ask for a baseball glove, a bike, Star Wars figures, or a sleeping bag list he was. So then, when my parents once again asked what I wanted for Christmas, my response: "gummy bears".

I got my gummy bears that year. I got a stocking filled with nothing but packs of gummy bears, plus 3 five-pound bags of them, along with a note from Santa telling me that I could have one handful a day if I treated my parents and my brothers well. I know I got some other presents too that year, but I can honestly still remember how excited I was as I pulled the first pack of gummy bears out of my stocking - when I was 4 years old! What I can't remember is what happened to my other shoe.

Gummy Bears.jpg

I participate with my family. Give gifts to the kids. I have worked on Christmas Eve before, though mainly to give the people in my department with kids the day off. My work gives me Christmas day off and company is closed down. I don't do any of the religous stuff associated with Christmas. With all the commercialization it has become pretty easy to celebrate Christmas in a non-religous way. For instance, I don't do anything out-of-the-norm for Easter and just treat it like any other Sunday. I look at it more like a time to spend with my family and to see the joy on the young uns eyes when they get their gifts.

All that aside, I still don't really get into the "Christmas spirit" or particularly look forward to this time of year.

I did buy a Christmas album on vinyl this year, so I'm trying...a little. :D

You, Sir made me laugh outloud. Hope you have a great time. I enjoy debating with you.

I was 12 and got a Rawlings baseball glove, top of the line very nice and I slept with that sucker until the season and it got dirty.

A few years ago Mama got me a Bama starter jacket, very very beautiful. It was huge. I've only worn a few times and it is 15 years old. They filmed me and I cried on the tape, stupid tape didn't know there was a camera on me.

She has always mentioned ear rings and I have gotten her other things, don't tell her but she is getting a nice pair and I can't wait til she gets them. I wrapped them in a big box with some breathing strips. She snores a little. :idunno:

I was 12 and got a Rawlings baseball glove, top of the line very nice and I slept with that sucker until the season and it got dirty.

A few years ago Mama got me a Bama starter jacket, very very beautiful. It was huge. I've only worn a few times and it is 15 years old. They filmed me and I cried on the tape, stupid tape didn't know there was a camera on me.

She has always mentioned ear rings and I have gotten her other things, don't tell her but she is getting a nice pair and I can't wait til she gets them. I wrapped them in a big box with some breathing strips. She snores a little. :idunno:

Sounds like you plan on spending Christmas on the couch. :D

One of the unfortunate things is that Christmas has become so commercialized and we don’t seem to take time out to stop and recognize and acknowledge the meaning of the season that without Christ there is no Christmas. It is a time to remember and commemorate our Lord’s coming into the world in the form of the babe of Bethlehem and so the incarnation as it is also called which is the birth of Christ, is a very significant event of the whole telling of the Christmas story of how God saw it fit to come and live amongst us and took upon himself our human form and really came into this world in an ordinary way in the form of a baby.

“This is how God showed His love among us: He sent His one and only Son into the world that we might live through Him. This is love: not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins” (1 John 4:9-10).

So sorry for you and thank you for sharing. Its so hard for us when we have lost loved ones during this time. My wife's dad is 85 and today we spend Christmas with my side of the Family and tomorrow hers, but I called her dad and wanted him to come today and hang out with us too and they are gonna bring him over. She lost her Mom a couple of years ago.

Isaiah 9:6 A child has been born to us, God has Given a Son to us,He will be responsible for leading the people. His name will be Wonderful Counselor, Powerful God, Father who lives forever, Prince of Peace. Power and peace will be in his Kingdom and will continue to grow forever. He will make it strong by ruling with justice and goodness from now on and forever. The LORD All Powerful; will do this because of his strong love for his people."

This was written 700 years before the birth of the baby.

Well the "breathing strips" were a huge funny moment, but thats what its about just having a good time. I got a new TT table and paddle, and this paddle is fast. Also a Bama jacket and its cool too. I will wear it to the Cards bowl game on tuesday. Mama got four really great seats for the bowl game. Any body want to share their gift list?

But before we opened gifts the boy had my Bible out, he knew we always share some verses about the Birth of Christ.

• 3 years later...

I was searching through some threads & found this one. I got a few laughs & shed a few tears. It was posted originally by Alabama Larry in Nov 2011. I thought it was very appropriate with Christmas coming up soon. I suggest you start with post #1 & let's keep this thread rolling through Christmas!

So a Christmas memory for me-when I was growing up we always got a cut tree which was put in a stand that would rotate. My entire family would decorate it complete with lights, ornaments(some I still have), icicles topped with a star. The evening was capped off watching Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer. My brother would make it his mission to figure out every gift under the tree before Christmas.