Covington Catholic 56 Dixie 35

theguru

Never said i hope he fails. I actually said he could play many different positions at that level. But yes, age does make a difference. Not trying to bash the kid.

You said he is a year and a half older than most seniors how old do you think he is? Talent matters a whole lot more than age being an 18 year old senior will not automatically get you 40+ offers do you think? You also mention NFL bloodlines helped him there was an article in the paper about kids who's dad played for the bengals and coach them why haven't their NFL bloodlines got them 40+ offers? His ability and size is what is getting him offers not his last name or age.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 56 points put up is the most given up by Dixie since 2000 when Highlands put up 63.

Dixie has given up 40+ in 3 straight games and 5 of its last 8.

Talkers had 9 kickoffs and 9 touchbacks.

I counted 10, including the opening kickoff. That is such a weapon @ the high school level, more than the PATs IMO.

I counted 10, including the opening kickoff. That is such a weapon @ the high school level, more than the PATs IMO.

He kicked off after each of the 8 TDs . Did he kickoff to start both halves? If not, I've got 9.

Does this photo say anything to anyone?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34298[/ATTACH]

The first time I saw it I thought the same thing. Don't know exactly when the pic was taken, he could of broke off the hand holding to shake opponent's hand. Maybe he arrived late to mid-field and just then caught up. However, I never liked that hand holding crap anyway.

Aug 27, 2011 | Written by Marc Hardin

Link

If there is a Northern Kentucky kicker with a stronger leg than Covington Catholic football player Evan Talkers, I have yet to see him.

Talkers had nine kickoffs, and nine touch-backs, during Friday’s 56-35 Skyline Chili Crosstown Showdown victory in a battle of Colonels at Dixie Heights. Talkers, who doubles as an all-region soccer standout for CovCath, also was perfect on eight point-after attempts following touchdowns.

When the opposition has to start drives from its own 20 yard line, that makes it more difficult to score because it forces a team to go 80 yards for a touchdown every time that happens.

In that sense, Talkers, a senior, is both an offensive and defensive weapon for the Colonels, and football isn’t even his best sport. He scored a team-high 13 goals for the soccer team last year and totaled 19 as a sophomore.

Other nuggets from last night’s Crosstown Showdown shootout at Dixie, courtesy of CovCath’s excellent stats team:

- CovCath totaled 341 yards in the second half, on 25 plays, for an average distance of 13.6 yards per second-half play.

- CovCath tailback Gabe Gray ran for 190 yards on 10 carries in the second half. That’s 19 yards per carry after the break for Gray, who scored two touchdowns on direct snaps in the Wildcat formation.

- CovCath quarterback Blake Bir was a model of consistency from half to half: He was 8-of-11 passing for 134 yards in the first half and 8-of-11 for 123 yards in the second half.

- CovCath had five sacks, two by junior lineman Sam Williamson. Dixie did not record a sack, in part because Bir released his passes so quickly. CovCath linebacker Sam Burchell had a sack and led the Colonels with 10 tackles. Burchell is just a sophomore, and at 6 feet and 213 pounds, he packs a wallop.

- CovCath was penalized just twice in the first half, for 25 yards.

– Dixie wide receiver Goose Cohorn and tailback Seth Bruns both had more than 100 yards receiving. Cohorn caught 11 passes for 169 yards. Bruns had three catches for 101. Dixie quarterback Zeke Pike targeted Cohorn 16 times on his 36 pass attempts.

– It was the most points scored against Dixie in 11 years. The Colonels lost at home to Highlands, 63-19, in a Class 3A district game on Oct. 13, 2000. Dixie has surrendered 40 points or more in three straight games, and in five of its last eight games, going back to last season.

Aug 27, 2011 | Written by Marc Hardin

Link

If there is a Northern Kentucky kicker with a stronger leg than Covington Catholic football player Evan Talkers, I have yet to see him.

I won't say clearly stronger but Joey Nussbaum's leg is at least just as strong. Every kickoff by Nussbaum was a touchback and none of his bounced into the end zone. Like Talkers, Nussbaum hit the back line in the end zone with kickoffs in the air with hang time. If there has ever been two kickers in the same class in N. Ky. with as strong a leg as those two, please remind me of who and when. The Beechwood / CCH game will be worth seeing just to watch those two kick.

I won't say clearly stronger but Joey Nussbaum's leg is at least just as strong. Every kickoff by Nussbaum was a touchback and none of his bounced into the end zone. Like Talkers, Nussbaum hit the back line in the end zone with kickoffs in the air with hang time. If there has ever been two kickers in the same class in N. Ky. with as strong a leg as those two, please remind me of who and when. The Beechwood / CCH game will be worth seeing just to watch those two kick.

Covington Catholic had three on the same team back in 2005. Senior Pat Awadalla(sp), Junior Tony Roch, and Sophomore Shane Popham.

Believe Pike is 3rd qb on Rivals and 5th on Scout. If Pike doesn't have to run for his life every play and has time that a Division 1 offensive line with top caliber receivers he's easily a qb. Mark my word when he tears up the SEC. Bir did a nice job but I'd take Pike any day. Kids a flat gamer.

Most overated player from NKY in a long while in my opinion. Attitude doesn't help whatsoever, droppin the football continually in front of the refs instead of just handing it to them. I think he calls plays in from the sideline at Auburn.