Patrick Towles and Zeke Pike

While I'm not optimistic, I hope this thread results in the comparison stuff to be over before the season begins. Both young men have done well. Let's let them enjoy their senior seasons without adults criticizing their every move and every game. This is their last year of "fun football"; next year it becomes a job. I hope we let them enjoy it.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we're on the same page....over the span of a number of years, there's been a handful.
there are many more than a handful, you asked who I knew of. That's it. Those are the famous ones, plus, CC, who I did not know about. I'm sure I could look it up and find you many more.

Really....How many top QB prospects do you know who are now playing another position? QB being the key word?

I think schools love recruiting guys like Pike. They recruit him as a QB, but know in the back of their minds that if that doesn't work out, an athletic kid like him can be used elsewhere. A lot of schools recruit athletes and then sort out the positions later depending on circumstances.

That said, I think Towles is more of a pure QB prospect. He has a better arm than Pike and has more maturity/poise. Towles lacks the speed and quickness to be a college WR or TE, in my opinion.

As others have said, it will be interesting to follow their senior years, as well as their college careers...

Why did he choose not to play in the Under Armour all American Game? You seem very close to him and was wondering why he choose not to play in this game. Heck, he has been traveling across the country for the last year for every camp and every event to get exposure, just curious as to why he would pass on an event like this that gives him national exposure.

As stated earlier you can only play in one of the two games. UA has picked up steam but I can't fault anyone for turning them down to play in the Army game, which has been around alot longer.

Hines Ward, Anquan Boldin, Lynn Swan was recruited as a QB...

If you want to move it to the NFL which is probably an equal jump in talent level I could list quite a few. Josh Cribbs, Randel El, Matt Jones, Brad Smith, Arnaz Battle,

Again, not saying its happening here, just saying, it happens.

How many of those guys were huge prospects recruited by everyone?

Boldin- Juco guy, played only spot duty at WR at FSU, recruited to FSU as a WR.

Hines Ward- One of the most versatile players to ever play college football played WR, QB and RB.

Lynn Swann- Played in a racist era where black QBs were not too common at the highest levels.

Battle counts.

Cribbs, Randel El, Jones and Smith do not provide good examples of why Pike may be switched positions in college IMO. They played their careers at QB in college for crying out loud which is what Pike is projected to play, who cares about the NFL at this point in their careers?

As stated earlier you can only play in one of the two games. UA has picked up steam but I can't fault anyone for turning them down to play in the Army game, which has been around alot longer.

How many of those guys were huge prospects recruited by everyone?

Boldin- Juco guy, played only spot duty at WR at FSU, recruited to FSU as a WR.

Hines Ward- One of the most versatile players to ever play college football played WR, QB and RB.

Lynn Swann- Played in a racist era where black QBs were not too common at the highest levels.

Battle counts.

Cribbs, Randel El, Jones and Smith do not provide good examples of why Pike may be switched positions in college IMO. They played their careers at QB in college for crying out loud which is what Pike is projected to play, who cares about the NFL at this point in their careers?

I wasn't trying to provide, nor do I care, to provide examples of why Pike would be switched. Thats not what was asked and I don't think thats whats happening. But it does happen, even at schools like Auburn. That was my only point and its true.

I wasn't trying to provide, nor do I care, to provide examples of why Pike would be switched. Thats not what was asked and I don't think thats whats happening. But it does happen, even at schools like Auburn. That was my only point and its true.

Sorry it doesn't really happen that often with major recruits that are being recruited as a QB. Russell Shepherd at LSU is sort of an example but he and everyone else knew coming in that he would go to the position where he could get on the field quickest. Does it happen? Sure, just not that often with the big time prospects.

It would be nice to see Towles get his fifth year and then compare;)

Did Zeke get 5 years? Keep beating your dead horse Zeke had 30 plus offers before his Junior year so I think it is safe to say he was goi D1 no matter when he graduated. If it makes you feel better keep up the ignorant comments but you should be aware that it makes you look (well to be nice) childish.

Did Zeke get 5 years? Keep beating your dead horse Zeke had 30 plus offers before his Junior year so I think it is safe to say he was goi D1 no matter when he graduated. If it makes you feel better keep up the ignorant comments but you should be aware that it makes you look (well to be nice) childish.

What he means is Pike has another year of physical maturity under his belt then Towles. He could have posted it a bit differently but I think this is what he was trying to express.

Exactly what I was trying to express KYBLUE. When comparing the two, its like comparing an incoming college freshman to a college sophomore. They're not comparable. With that being said, just for Towles to be compared with Pike gives Towles the nod. And by the way whataboutthis, Zeke didn't have 30 plus offers before his Junior year. He wasn't the starting QB his Sophomore year, Wilson was! That is an ignorant statement by you so keep beating that dead horse!

GEEEEEEEEEZ! Speaking of "DEAD HORSE", this constant comparison of Pike and Towles is extremely tiresome. Heck, I don't even know why I'm responding to this but ENOUGH ALREADY! Each young man has his advantages and his faults. No one knows how each will due at their respective college choices. I just hope both get to do what they want, be extremely successful, earn a degree and get on with the business of being fine men.

Exactly what I was trying to express KYBLUE. When comparing the two, its like comparing an incoming college freshman to a college sophomore. They're not comparable. With that being said, just for Towles to be compared with Pike gives Towles the nod. And by the way whataboutthis, Zeke didn't have 30 plus offers before his Junior year. He wasn't the starting QB his Sophomore year, Wilson was! That is an ignorant statement by you so keep beating that dead horse!

Actually, while you are right that Pike wasn't the starting QB till his junior year, he did have a LOT of offers (maybe even 30) before his junior year. There were a couple of threads on here at that time asking how that is possible, but it was true. Pike had circulated a highlight tape, hit a number of camps, competed in summer 7 on 7's throughout the midwest/south and that all led to all the offers before he had ever been the starting QB for his team in high school. I guess that gives some insight into what D1 recruiters look at when they go after players. IMO it is more about size, speed and their perception of your talent than what you do on Friday night.

One other interesting point along those lines. I know Pike didn't play QB at all till his freshman year in high school. Didn't Towles come late to the QB position also? In fact, I seem to recall that he wasn't even the starting QB on the Highlands freshman team? If true, that is an interesting similarity between the two.

Guest Birdflu
Actually, while you are right that Pike wasn't the starting QB till his junior year, he did have a LOT of offers (maybe even 30) before his junior year. There were a couple of threads on here at that time asking how that is possible, but it was true. Pike had circulated a highlight tape, hit a number of camps, competed in summer 7 on 7's throughout the midwest/south and that all led to all the offers before he had ever been the starting QB for his team in high school. I guess that gives some insight into what D1 recruiters look at when they go after players. IMO it is more about size, speed and their perception of your talent than what you do on Friday night.

One other interesting point along those lines. I know Pike didn't play QB at all till his freshman year in high school. Didn't Towles come late to the QB position also? In fact, I seem to recall that he wasn't even the starting QB on the Highlands freshman team? If true, that is an interesting similarity between the two.

I think Towles was the backup quarterback on the freshman football team. He was the starting safety. Carter New was the starting quarterback.