Private School Sweep

BigStud

I probably shouldn't even post in this thread because I'm afraid I don't know enough about the situation to add anything of any importance. However, I can't quite understand the big hooie about it all. I understand that the private schools can bring a lot more players to the field than a public school can, for obvious reasons and that gives them the advantage of playing more players in the course of a game. But don't all these kids have to practice and play by the same rules as the public schools do? If so, that doesn't give them an advantage that way. Don't all the schools have the same amount of games? If so, that doesn't give them an advantage that way. I have two nephews who play for a public school and the way I see it is when two teams line up against each other it's the better team that comes out with the win. You could have 200 kids on one side and 30 on the other and if the 30 kids on the other side are better then they are going to win. If the private schools aren't given any other advantage beside being able to field more players then I think this is a non-issue and let the kids play and may the better team win.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I probably shouldn't even post in this thread because I'm afraid I don't know enough about the situation to add anything of any importance. However, I can't quite understand the big hooie about it all. I understand that the private schools can bring a lot more players to the field than a public school can, for obvious reasons and that gives them the advantage of playing more players in the course of a game. But don't all these kids have to practice and play by the same rules as the public schools do? If so, that doesn't give them an advantage that way. Don't all the schools have the same amount of games? If so, that doesn't give them an advantage that way. I have two nephews who play for a public school and the way I see it is when two teams line up against each other it's the better team that comes out with the win. You could have 200 kids on one side and 30 on the other and if the 30 kids on the other side are better then they are going to win. If the private schools aren't given any other advantage beside being able to field more players then I think this is a non-issue and let the kids play and may the better team win.

What are the chances of finding better athletes from those 200 versus those 30?

With NCC up 28-0, looks like a 3-1 Private Champs.

What are the chances of finding better athletes from those 200 versus those 30?

With NCC up 28-0, looks like a 3-1 Private Champs.

Somehow you seem to find 5 better basketball players or even 9 better baseball players from your 30 than we do from our 200. Looks to me that the breakoff point must be any sport that requires 10 or more for a team is total numbers dependent...h-m-m-m. :rolleyes:

Somehow you seem to find 5 better basketball players or even 9 better baseball players from your 30 than we do from our 200. Looks to me that the breakoff point must be any sport that requires 10 or more for a team is total numbers dependent...h-m-m-m. :rolleyes:

1) Obviously, it matters more in football or baseball and basketball would be classified as well.

2) only 5 possible positions in Basketball, only 9 posible in baseball, 22 in football plus a kicker or two.

3) One super basketball player with a solid support cast can make a really good basketball team.

4) Two really good pitchers can make the difference in baseball.

Numbers make a difference, don't kid yourself.

1) Obviously, it matters more in football or baseball and basketball would be classified as well.

2) only 5 possible positions in Basketball, only 9 posible in baseball, 22 in football plus a kicker or two.

3) One super basketball player with a solid support cast can make a really good basketball team.

4) Two really good pitchers can make the difference in baseball.

Numbers make a difference, don't kid yourself.

Why do the statistical probabilities get discarded in finding the one super basketball player or the two tremendous pitchers? If I have 1400 males to chose from and you have only 800, how come you always find them and I don't? You use the statistical argument in football, but brush over it in basketball and baseball. I'm sorry, but the mathmatical logic is not there. If numbers are the major factor in winning, then probability for success should be there in every sport with increased opportunities. There must be other factors that are the true underlying reasons for our lack of success in basketball and baseball (poor coaching, lack of parental support, lack of tradition, do not work hard, lack of discipline, genetically inferior students, floride levels in the water, etc.) Isn't there a high probability that this is also true for success in football? :cool:

Why do the statistical probabilities get discarded in finding the one super basketball player or the two tremendous pitchers? If I have 1400 males to chose from and you have only 800, how come you always find them and I don't? You use the statistical argument in football, but brush over it in basketball and baseball. I'm sorry, but the mathmatical logic is not there. If numbers are the major factor in winning, then probability for success should be there in every sport with increased opportunities. There must be other factors that are the true underlying reasons for our lack of success in basketball and baseball (poor coaching, lack of parental support, lack of tradition, do not work hard, lack of discipline, genetically inferior students, floride levels in the water, etc.) Isn't there a high probability that this is also true for success in football? :cool:

There is no place for common sense or statistical probablities in this argument Ox! :banana:

Probably the same reason that the University of Kentucky fields its sorry teams in football every year. The administration has more of a focus on winning in basketball so the football program tends to slide off to the side. I dont know why Trinity of X doesnt field a good basketball team but i think of Louisville as a football town, maybe it is or maybe it isnt, but look at Lexington Catholic, they were in the Final Four of the Sweet Sixteen almost year in and year out. But as many people have said it only really takes one good player surrounded by four solid players and in Kentucky you have the chance at doing great things with that. Numbers are huge in football and you know that as well as i do so dont try to deny it. Their is no limit on how many football players you can have on a roster or if their is let me know. But Basketball on the other hand has a limit of 15 for everyone which levels out the playing field.

If all the private schools had to play by the rules the public schools had to play by and the public schools got to move players around without question. Would you think that was fair. So your child could take a beatdown at the hands of a put together team. While your team had to play with what is was given. Thats just not fair to the kids on either side. You call supporters of public/private sports equality whiners but its those calling the names who are the babies cause they are too childish to know what is good for the children, the school, and the future of athletics in the state of Kentucky. :thumb:

Probably the same reason that the University of Kentucky fields its sorry teams in football every year. The administration has more of a focus on winning in basketball so the football program tends to slide off to the side. I dont know why Trinity of X doesnt field a good basketball team but i think of Louisville as a football town, maybe it is or maybe it isnt, but look at Lexington Catholic, they were in the Final Four of the Sweet Sixteen almost year in and year out. But as many people have said it only really takes one good player surrounded by four solid players and in Kentucky you have the chance at doing great things with that. Numbers are huge in football and you know that as well as i do so dont try to deny it. Their is no limit on how many football players you can have on a roster or if their is let me know. But Basketball on the other hand has a limit of 15 for everyone which levels out the playing field.

So pick a number for football roster limit.

Let's say basketball has 5 starters and a 15 man roster limit. (5 X 3 = 15)

So let's say football has 22 starters so 22 X 3 = 66.

With a 66 man roster then X and Trinity would be on a level playing field with every other school and no one would ever whine again about a private advantage and all would be right with the world?

Allplay you know its not about how many kids play its about where those kids should be playing and where they really are playing. Private schools woo kids to play who can play soo they can win (Joe public aint there for his gpa). That raises school spirit (school exposure), school enrollment(money coming into the school), school involvement by current students and alumni (contributions)which in turn makes recruiting easier if not almost on cruise control. :banana: