Kemba Has Read ONE Book In His Entire Life

Clyde

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How can you graduate in THREE years without reading a book?

The exact quote was something like read cover to cover. It's extremely easy to get by without reading a book from cover to cover. I've read several books cover to cover in my life and thousands more I've read part of the book between the covers.

I'm thinking Coop is right and it's a generational thing.

I think that has more to do with it than anything, I don't really prefer to read novels, never have and probably never will. I read probably a few dozen sports and news articles every day though. When I'm not in school I'll usually read USA today or NY Times from front to back. I've been assigned novel's in college but never actually read every single page of each that was assigned with maybe the exception of Dead Man Walking(even that I'm not sure of). Like was stated before, most of the Generation X or Generation Internet people would rather read informative, or opinion pieces that can cover a large variety of different topics rather than a novel that's focusing on one character, storyline etc.

Edited by sportsfan41
spelling

:lol:I'm not sure if I've ever finished one of leathernecks post in any thread.

:sssh::lol:

I can kind of see not reading any in high school. High school was a waste of my time and I didn't take a book home past 9th grade.

I hated being told to read something, and hated book reports with a passion. Generally I skimmed enough to do a passable, but usually late, report (unless I had read the book previously, which happened a lot). Didn't read too many in college, if I could help it, mostly because of the same anti-authoritarianism.

Much of my job is spent reading, so I don't knock out as many books a year as I used to, but still do a dozen to 20 or so, mostly in the summer. I dread being stuck somewhere for multiple hours without a book to read.

I think that has more to do with it than anything, I don't really prefer to read novels, never have and probably never will. I read probably a few dozen sports and news articles every day though. When I'm not in school I'll usually read USA today or NY Times from front to back. I've been assigned novel's in college but never actually read every single page of each that was assigned with maybe the exception of Dead Man Walking(even that I'm not sure of). Like was stated before, most of the Generation X or Generation Internet people would rather read informative, or opinion pieces that can cover a large variety of different topics rather than a novel that's focusing on one character, storyline etc.

I read "informative" books all the time. Read lots on investing. Read sports stats books. Sports books.

No one can say there are not books out there that interest them.

I read "informative" books all the time. Read lots on investing. Read sports stats books. Sports books.

Exactly. Not singling out Walker or anyone else, but it is an alarming display of a lack of intellectual curiosity that I find to be endemic in American society, sadly. I offer up prime-time network TV's schedule as exhibit A.

Exactly. Not singling out Walker or anyone else, but it is an alarming display of a lack of intellectual curiosity that I find to be endemic in American society, sadly. I offer up prime-time network TV's schedule as exhibit A.

Cable TV is exhibit B.

I get what you're saying but books are becoming outdated. If I want an answer to a question or more info on a subject I'm turning to Google not Barnes & Noble or the local library. Sure there are books out there that interest me but I'd rather keep up on current events and do other things than spend time reading a book over the course of days or weeks. I work 40 hours a week and go to school full time, when I'm not studying, or doing school work, I just don't want to pick up another book that I don't have to read.

I get what you're saying but books are becoming outdated. If I want an answer to a question or more info on a subject I'm turning to Google not Barnes & Noble or the local library. Sure there are books out there that interest me but I'd rather keep up on current events and do other things than spend time reading a book over the course of days or weeks. I work 40 hours a week and go to school full time, when I'm not studying, or doing school work, I just don't want to pick up another book that I don't have to read.

I'd agree that with e-books, kindles (sp?), et cetera, the physical book is fading out. However, I think the notion of the book will never be outdated. Lengthy, well researched, well written expression (be it fiction or non-fiction) will trump "google answers" every time, in my opinion.

My mom, my dad, my sisters and I are all avid readers. I crave reading as much as I crave chocolate. Seriously... a day without reading makes me anxious.

My ex-husband was the first person I've ever met who'd never read a book. I was so appalled I bought him a book about his favorite baseball player (Reggie Jackson) before we got married. He never read it.

Neither of my kids like to read at all. And it completely confounds me. I did all the right things...read to them as babies and small children, continued to buy them books, read in front of them, always had books in the house...can't get either of them to find the joy that I did in reading.

But, I will say this....my son is the first in my family to graduate college, and in 2 weeks, will be the first to hold an advanced degree as well. He's actually quite brilliant (although I did score higher than him on the ACT. :D).

Now, on the flip side, when I was a youngster, I would spend entire afternoons under the peach tree in the back yard reading. My kids were always going...swimming, football, baseball...

I still don't understand the aversion to reading. But they don't understand my aversion to sports (although the do understand my propensity for hurting myself :lol:).

I used to think you couldn't be educated without reading. I've changed my view about that somewhat. I believe now that you can be very well educated and knowlegeable without reading, but I still maintain there are depths of knowledge you can't grasp without reading, especially when it relates to language and nuance.

My mom, my dad, my sisters and I are all avid readers. I crave reading as much as I crave chocolate. Seriously... a day without reading makes me anxious.

My ex-husband was the first person I've ever met who'd never read a book. I was so appalled I bought him a book about his favorite baseball player (Reggie Jackson) before we got married. He never read it.

Neither of my kids like to read at all. And it completely confounds me. I did all the right things...read to them as babies and small children, continued to buy them books, read in front of them, always had books in the house...can't get either of them to find the joy that I did in reading.

But, I will say this....my son is the first in my family to graduate college, and in 2 weeks, will be the first to hold an advanced degree as well. He's actually quite brilliant (although I did score higher than him on the ACT. :D).

Now, on the flip side, when I was a youngster, I would spend entire afternoons under the peach tree in the back yard reading. My kids were always going...swimming, football, baseball...

I still don't understand the aversion to reading. But they don't understand my aversion to sports (although the do understand my propensity for hurting myself :lol:).

I used to think you couldn't be educated without reading. I've changed my view about that somewhat. I believe now that you can be very well educated and knowlegeable without reading, but I still maintain there are depths of knowledge you can't grasp without reading, especially when it relates to language and nuance.

At least you're batting .500.