Schools letting out for the Boys Sweet 16

Just trying to get an idea of how many schools call off school or give an excused absence to students wanting to watch their school playing in the Sweet 16.

I know that Oldham County does not close school and does not count it as an excused absence unless you ride the pep bus. The feeder schools are all unexcused.

I think it is just absolutely ridiculous.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Warren Central will have it as an excused absence provided you bring back a ticket. You don't have to ride the pep bus, just have a proof of purchase and you're good.

Usually we don't even have that problem. They've built in Teacher Professional Development days that week for the last several years because the trip became so commonplace. The Warren County school system has had a team in the Sweet 16 every year but one since 2002. Alas, the snow has taken those days this year.

I agree that is absolutely ridiculous how Oldham is doing it! This year a lot of schools had a load of snow days, but I am sure they could figure something out to either close all schools for those days or have some way that those who go can make up the work, Heck they could do a report on the history of the Sweet 16!

What about kids in the feeder schools that have brothers or cousins on the team? They are not allowed to go and be excused? And if I am a parent and going to the Sweet 16 and my non player kids are going, I would rather they ride with me than on a pep bus, as I would be staying for the entire tourney.

Clark County is NOT out! I am so upset about it. Students are allowed to leave at 10:30 and are excused if they bring their ticket stub back the next day. The superintendent sent around a memo saying teachers could go if they "made arrangements with their supervisor". I think it is absolutely ridiculous that we are not cancelling school and showing these boys and coaches how excited we are to support them at the "greatest show in hoops", the Kentucky Boys Sweet 16.

If you feel your child needs to attend the Sweet Sixteen great take him/her and go but if the Board of Education say's you have to follow their outlines above... well they are doing what they feel is best for all the students.

I am certainly glad for the Dixie students but I see no reason for their students to miss school next Wednesday. Their game isn't until 8pm and with the game being played in Lexington it is only around an hours drive or so, giving the students plenty of time to make the trip down to Rupp and attend school.

If you feel your child needs to attend the Sweet Sixteen great take him/her and go but if the Board of Education say's you have to follow their outlines above... well they are doing what they feel is best for all the students.

I am certainly glad for the Dixie students but I see no reason for their students to miss school next Wednesday. Their game isn't until 8pm and with the game being played in Lexington it is only around an hours drive or so, giving the students plenty of time to make the trip down to Rupp and attend school.

I agree on Dixie. However, if your school plays a game during the school just needs to shut down for the day. You have to pick your battles and this one isn't worth it. When schools show that they do not have any "wasted" days at the end of the school year (ie watching movies) then they can act like missing a day when the school is in the Sweet 16 is a problem.

I agree on Dixie. However, if your school plays a game during the school just needs to shut down for the day. You have to pick your battles and this one isn't worth it. When schools show that they do not have any "wasted" days at the end of the school year (ie watching movies) then they can act like missing a day when the school is in the Sweet 16 is a problem.

Wouldn't the entire Kenton County school system have to let out for them to do that (were it during the day)? I think that is part of the problem. For instance, I don't think they're going to let the entire Warren County school system out because Warren Central made it.

Old Guy, I agree if the game is at 8:00. But for the kids that have teams that play at noon (OC) they should not be penalized for showing school spirit and going down to support their team. We are going and taking our elementary school kids with us from Wed thru Sun and will just have to be unexcused. I think that it is ridiculous. I have said since I moved to this county that there is no emphasis on athletics here, just another example to prove my point. I'm sure I will get the response, that our academics are so good and that is where the focus is and yes, for the most part they are but there is a happy medium and the Oldham County Board of Education has yet to find it. I think that it is a shame that they show such a lack of support for their student athletes.

Under that situation I agree with you totally! If you can afford a day off as your team is playing during the day, I agree also. I keep getting offended by the comments of showing a movie at the end of the year to make up a day by many, what school system are you looking at? I assure you the whole state does not do this. Not picking on an individual poster because I see this every year.

Under that situation I agree with you totally! If you can afford a day off as your team is playing during the day, I agree also. I keep getting offended by the comments of showing a movie at the end of the year to make up a day by many, what school system are you looking at? I assure you the whole state does not do this. Not picking on an individual poster because I see this every year.

Be offended if you must. The last few days of the school year are an academic playground simply that simply fulfills the state's requirement of X number of days of education.

Old Guy, I agree if the game is at 8:00. But for the kids that have teams that play at noon (OC) they should not be penalized for showing school spirit and going down to support their team. We are going and taking our elementary school kids with us from Wed thru Sun and will just have to be unexcused. I think that it is ridiculous. I have said since I moved to this county that there is no emphasis on athletics here, just another example to prove my point. I'm sure I will get the response, that our academics are so good and that is where the focus is and yes, for the most part they are but there is a happy medium and the Oldham County Board of Education has yet to find it. I think that it is a shame that they show such a lack of support for their student athletes.

Answer me this then: Was the your gym packed with Students each night their team played? Did they followed the Team to away games in mass? Now understand I am not talking about just some nights or just some games because if they didn't follow the team in large numbers during the regular season, why do they need to follow them now.

Understand when my daughter was a Frosh at NDA, I took her out of school for one day to attend the KHSAA Sweet Sixteen game that CovCath played in. She hadn't missed a day all year, her grades were great and I don't think she missed a regular season CovCath game that year. Her mother screamed to high heaven about her missing school but we had a great time together and we still talk about it.

Answer me this then: Was the your gym packed with Students each night their team played? Did they followed the Team to away games in mass? Now understand I am not talking about just some nights or just some games because if they didn't follow the team in large numbers during the regular season, why do they need to follow them now.

Understand when my daughter was a Frosh at NDA, I took her out of school for one day to attend the KHSAA Sweet Sixteen game that CovCath played in. She hadn't missed a day all year, her grades were great and I don't think she missed a regular season CovCath game that year. Her mother screamed to high heaven about her missing school but we had a great time together and we still talk about it.

I do not think there should be a litmus test to decide if classes should be cancelled.

You are misguided on both of your posts is this thread, as they deal with education.

I speak in a general mode. Your class may go to the very end with instruction every day. Others may as well. Too many, however, do not - from experience.

I do not think there should be a litmus test to decide if classes should be cancelled.

And why not? If you don't follow the Team during the season, why do you need to follow them in the Sweet Sixteen or is it just a day to miss school while sitting at home playing games.

I work with a gentlemen whose 1st grade daughter attends Walton Verona! He couldn't believe the entire school shut down to attend the KHSAA Girls Sweet Sixteen on Wednesday. He and his wife had to scramble to find a sitter for her that day.

So lets say Dixie shuts down the school next Wednesday, what percentage of the kids will attend the game at Rupp. !00%, 80%, Half or maybe 30% will attend. So what happens to the rest of the students?