Schools letting out for the Boys Sweet 16

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not that it is the point of the thread but I will address your questions. You are right, from the outside looks a whole lot greener, right? lol Oldham County had a revenue 64 million dollars last year. I think having one nice turf field (that you have to pay to play on) is not showing that much support. With a budget like that there should be a lot more money instead of the tokens that are thrown out just to look good to the outside. As far as 2 gyms at each high school, the 2 at OCHS are HORRIBLE!! My kids use both of these facilities and while they did a great "make over" on the main gym by painting and re-polishing the floor, there are more dead spots on that floor than there are holes in swiss cheese. Why not spend a little more money and really fix the floor instead of covering it up? Yes, they are moving toward baseball and softball programs in the middle schools, do you think that is bc of the board? That's funny. I know of 2 of the teams that were started and it was the parents not the board. They had to jump thru a lot of hoops just to get those started and there wasn't a lot of support from the board. I have been here for 6 years, moved here for work and 2nd year that they haven't let out when the team is playing in the Sweet 16. Which is the point of the thread. OC plays at noon on Wednesday and my kids who have watched a lot of games both girls and boys this year will get an unexcused absence because they are in elementrary school and going to watch their high school play in the sweet 16.

Not that it is the point of the thread but I will address your questions. You are right, from the outside looks a whole lot greener, right? lol Oldham County had a revenue 64 million dollars last year. I think having one nice turf field (that you have to pay to play on) is not showing that much support. With a budget like that there should be a lot more money instead of the tokens that are thrown out just to look good to the outside. As far as 2 gyms at each high school, the 2 at OCHS are HORRIBLE!! My kids use both of these facilities and while they did a great "make over" on the main gym by painting and re-polishing the floor, there are more dead spots on that floor than there are holes in swiss cheese. Why not spend a little more money and really fix the floor instead of covering it up? Yes, they are moving toward baseball and softball programs in the middle schools, do you think that is bc of the board? That's funny. I know of 2 of the teams that were started and it was the parents not the board. They had to jump thru a lot of hoops just to get those started and there wasn't a lot of support from the board. I have been here for 6 years, moved here for work and 2nd year that they haven't let out when the team is playing in the Sweet 16. Which is the point of the thread. OC plays at noon on Wednesday and my kids who have watched a lot of games both girls and boys this year will get an unexcused absence because they are in elementrary school and going to watch their high school play in the sweet 16.

I think we can agree that the grass isn't always greener, but that applies to OC as well. There are a lot of schools and districts that would love to have what you have.....athletically and academically. Should kids be excused to go to the state tournament? I think so, but I'm sure there is a good reason why the admin decided to not do so. Perhaps calling them instead of publicly bashing them would be a good idea. A wise man once told me.....if the grass looks greener on the other side, pay yoru water bill. Good luck to the Colonels. GRC is a tough matchup.

I will just say that I agree with everything the "oldguy posted in this thread'. I agree with clyde that most of us will teach a little lighter if we have several students gone to the tourney.

So let's assume 33% of the students go. Will teachers teach as planned or will they lighten up the load in order to not put those 33% behind?

At the high school it will be lightened, besides the students you have alot of staff going too. IMO. At the two middle schools and 6 elementary schools it will be class as usual.

Here is a quote from our Superintendent Elaine Farris:

“It is important to us that we support our team and that we have school for the 5,200 or more of our students that will not or do not want to attend the game on Wednesday,” Farris said. “We think this is a win-win decision. Students and staff who wish to go to the game will have the opportunity.”

http://www.centralkynews.com/winchestersun/news/ws-students-will-be-allowed-to-leave-school-for-game-20110310,0,6513737.story

At the high school it will be lightened, besides the students you have alot of staff going too. IMO. At the two middle schools and 6 elementary schools it will be class as usual.

Here is a quote from our Superintendent Elaine Farris:

“It is important to us that we support our team and that we have school for the 5,200 or more of our students that will not or do not want to attend the game on Wednesday,” Farris said. “We think this is a win-win decision. Students and staff who wish to go to the game will have the opportunity.”

http://www.centralkynews.com/winchestersun/news/ws-students-will-be-allowed-to-leave-school-for-game-20110310,0,6513737.story

Good move! While I am using a vacation day to attend the games on Wednesday of next week, not everyone is a sports person who cares about the Sweet Sixteen. Now to me and most who post on BGP's find it hard to believe, there are those who could care less!