Schools letting out for the Boys Sweet 16

and I too have no problem, if indeed you attend the game....In fact I think I would go a step farther and make the kids sign in at Rupp.

BTW is Dixie going to do what CovCath has done in the past, that is to only allow the student body to sit in the lower section behind the basket in Rupp? Makes for a much better student cheering section.

I do not know their plan, but it wouldn't surprise me if they did. They've had a pretty good following this year, especially during the regionals.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Father/Mother aren't into Sports and in fact only moved into the Walton School District after they found out they were pregnant. They wanted their child to attend a great academic school and considered Walton the best around! Can't argue with that thinking at all. BTW he had no problem with the HS kids being off but thought that it was quite silly to have the 1st graders missing school for a hs basketball game!

It's a small school district and many families have kids in elementary, middle and high school. I know the administration's decision made alot of these families extremely happy. They could take the whole family and show their support. This support showed because the Walton crowd at Diddle was as large as any except for the home team Bowling Green. I'm with Clyde, at least they had advance notice.

How far do you take it? What is "following your team?" What if a kid at CCH has to work and misses a lot of games? How many games do you have to attend to be "allowed" to go?

As for your Walton friend how is that any different than a snow day? At least they knew ahead of time.

I agree with you! Just because a kid, or many kids may not attend many regular season games during the regular season is not a reason to not call off school if they make it to the Sweet 16! The Sweet 16 is SPECIAL! The players need as many fans as they can get no matter what team they play for, and each school should make sure the players have as many students as possible there! Every year at the Sweet 16 you see at least one team who have very little fans and everyone is commenting on how it's a shame they don't have a bigger following for the state tourney. As Clyde stated, many students do work, many are at home doing homework and other activities and have other good reason not to go, after all it is a long season.

The agrument that "most of out students go to all of the games during the season as well" so we should be let out of school for the Sweet 16 and others with lower student attandance at games should not just doesn't fly!

Let the students off school, if it will interfere with the teams game, just reschedule the missed day! Or as Nees mentioned, as long as the student has a ticket from the game they should be excused. But don't punish kids who want to go! I can understand Dixie not being of the first game as their first game is at 8 PM.

Edited by SportsGuy41017

BTW is Dixie going to do what CovCath has done in the past, that is to only allow the student body to sit in the lower section behind the basket in Rupp? Makes for a much better student cheering section.

Well, if Dixie brings a band they have to be in the first 5 rows. I can understand a school/cheering section like CCH having only students in the lower cheering section, as they are unique and cheer the entire time. But I have no problem with other schools that allow adults into the lower cheering area, as most do stand and cheer anyway. Plus I believe that the families of the players and other friends should be allowed to cheer in that section too, as it is special for all involved.

Dixie's band was one of the bright moments of the 9th Region Tourney. I wish wish bands would be at games. Although a memo to the band director, you may want to get the Star Spangled Banner a little more polished. That impromptu rendition at the 9th Region final was painful. I know, I know, nobody expected the BOK Arena to drop that ball but you still gotta have that at the top of your playlist. I digress.

Let the kids out of school geesh ! Atleast the schools that have early games that is.

Its 16 schools in the entire state.

Dixie's band was one of the bright moments of the 9th Region Tourney. I wish wish bands would be at games. Although a memo to the band director, you may want to get the Star Spangled Banner a little more polished. That impromptu rendition at the 9th Region final was painful. I know, I know, nobody expected the BOK Arena to drop that ball but you still gotta have that at the top of your playlist. I digress.

Let the kids out of school geesh ! Atleast the schools that have early games that is.

Its 16 schools in the entire state.

I agree, but GRC is having school on Wednesday. We play first game at 12:00. Kids will be excused if they go to game and bring back ticket stub. Teachers have to get OK from supervisor. We are to my knowledge taking 5 pep busses which is free to the students. No school on Friday...KEA day.

I agree, but GRC is having school on Wednesday. We play first game at 12:00. Kids will be excused if they go to game and bring back ticket stub. Teachers have to get OK from supervisor. We are to my knowledge taking 5 pep busses which is free to the students. No school on Friday...KEA day.

Sounds like they are working with the kids on this one. Glad to hear and good Luck Goldie. Your Cards are in a tough bracket.

BTW let's not discount the desire of teachers to attend these games. I can guarantee you that if CCH had gone to Rupp again quite a few teachers would want classes cancelled to attend the games. There's a group of them that attend every sporting event in Park Hills and often on the road. Why punish them?

Having school when you play the first game of the tournament is absolutely ridiculous and what a message you are sending your students that probably paid admission both at home games and road games to support their basketball team throughout the season. This is absurd in my opinion!

And Banta is giving free tickets to the students along with a free ride down. I wish she was there years ago as I haven't heard a bad thing about her. The students seem to love her.

As for the thread, I think an excused day with a ticket stub is fair.

That is awesome. Give the kids an experience they will always remember.

So let's assume 33% of the students go. Will teachers teach as planned or will they lighten up the load in order to not put those 33% behind?

I remember as an elementary school youngster not having school the Wednesday through Friday of the state tournament week without any schools in the district being there. (Kenton County Schools) If I remember though, that stopped in about 1974.

All depends on the school district size. For Walton, I'm sure their administration took about 2 seconds to make that decision. For Dixie in the Kenton County District (5th Largest in the State) it doesn't make sense to shut the whole system down. If the game intereferes with class, should be excused- call it a field trip as long as you can prove you were there.

Shoot, my dad used to take me fishing and hunting and just take me out of school and call it "we had to go out of town. Call it a family field trip. Those times were far greater and meaningful than any class I had. I see kids having the same times in Rupp Arena with their moms and dads. It is an event and tradition, it is not just a basketball game.

Old Guy, I agree if the game is at 8:00. But for the kids that have teams that play at noon (OC) they should not be penalized for showing school spirit and going down to support their team. We are going and taking our elementary school kids with us from Wed thru Sun and will just have to be unexcused. I think that it is ridiculous. I have said since I moved to this county that there is no emphasis on athletics here, just another example to prove my point. I'm sure I will get the response, that our academics are so good and that is where the focus is and yes, for the most part they are but there is a happy medium and the Oldham County Board of Education has yet to find it. I think that it is a shame that they show such a lack of support for their student athletes.

Last time I checked...... TWO gyms at every high school, turf field at SOHS, new baseball and softball fields at SOHS, new complex at NOHS, new fieldhouse and lights at OCHS, BOARD support of non KHSAA sanctioned sports like field hockey and lacrosse, and even the middle schools are moving toward baseball and softball programs. I don't know where you get "no emphasis on athletics here" but I'd be interested in your explanation. From the outside it seems there is plenty of support and emphasis. When and why did you move to Oldham?