Schools letting out for the Boys Sweet 16

And why not? If you don't follow the Team during the season, why do you need to follow them in the Sweet Sixteen or is it just a day to miss school while sitting at home playing games.

I work with a gentlemen whose 1st grade daughter attends Walton Verona! He couldn't believe the entire school shut down to attend the KHSAA Girls Sweet Sixteen on Wednesday. He and his wife had to scramble to find a sitter for her that day.

So lets say Dixie shuts down the school next Wednesday, what percentage of the kids will attend the game at Rupp. !00%, 80%, Half or maybe 30% will attend. So what happens to the rest of the students?

How far do you take it? What is "following your team?" What if a kid at CCH has to work and misses a lot of games? How many games do you have to attend to be "allowed" to go?

As for your Walton friend how is that any different than a snow day? At least they knew ahead of time.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dixie is not cancelling school for what it's worth.

When will the team go down? I don't think they get a shootaround so I would think I wouldn't take them down until that day. Sitting around all day and getting out of your routine would be a concern to me.

When will the team go down? I don't think they get a shootaround so I would think I wouldn't take them down until that day. Sitting around all day and getting out of your routine would be a concern to me.

Also don't forget that state mandate ACT test is Tuesday.

I believe they are heading down some time after school.

And why not? If you don't follow the Team during the season, why do you need to follow them in the Sweet Sixteen or is it just a day to miss school while sitting at home playing games.

I work with a gentlemen whose 1st grade daughter attends Walton Verona! He couldn't believe the entire school shut down to attend the KHSAA Girls Sweet Sixteen on Wednesday. He and his wife had to scramble to find a sitter for her that day.

So lets say Dixie shuts down the school next Wednesday, what percentage of the kids will attend the game at Rupp. !00%, 80%, Half or maybe 30% will attend. So what happens to the rest of the students?

If they didn't close, I would have had a hard time understanding that! This was the first appearance at the Girl's Sweet 16 in school history. It was big and the school administration wanted to let the girls know it. Walton had great student sections during the district and regional and the kids who were cheering were excited and proud of their school. Obviously your friend and his family didn't have the same excitement about this accomplishment and support for the team. If his daughter decides to play, I wonder if they will feel the same way if they make a trip while she is on the team? This is something that small schools don't experience as much as large ones, so it has to be special.

Dixie is not cancelling school for what it's worth.

And Banta is giving free tickets to the students along with a free ride down. I wish she was there years ago as I haven't heard a bad thing about her. The students seem to love her.

As for the thread, I think an excused day with a ticket stub is fair.

If they didn't close, I would have had a hard time understanding that! This was the first appearance at the Girl's Sweet 16 in school history. It was big and the school administration wanted to let the girls know it. Walton had great student sections during the district and regional and the kids who were cheering were excited and proud of their school. Obviously your friend and his family didn't have the same excitement about this accomplishment and support for the team. If his daughter decides to play, I wonder if they will feel the same way if they make a trip while she is on the team? This is something that small schools don't experience as much as large ones, so it has to be special.

The Father/Mother aren't into Sports and in fact only moved into the Walton School District after they found out they were pregnant. They wanted their child to attend a great academic school and considered Walton the best around! Can't argue with that thinking at all. BTW he had no problem with the HS kids being off but thought that it was quite silly to have the 1st graders missing school for a hs basketball game!

I personally feel if your team is playing in the sweet 16, it's okay to cancel classes for the day. I promise you missing class for 1 day does not spell doom for students. Besides, having class the day your school plays in the sweet 16 would not be productive. I think most students would be so hyped up, very little instruction would be obtained that day. School spirit is a big part of the experience of making the sweet 16. Let the kids enjoy it without penalty. Just an opinion from someone that dosen't even live in Kentucky.

And Banta is giving free tickets to the students along with a free ride down. I wish she was there years ago as I haven't heard a bad thing about her. The students seem to love her.

As for the thread, I think an excused day with a ticket stub is fair.

and I too have no problem, if indeed you attend the game....In fact I think I would go a step farther and make the kids sign in at Rupp.

BTW is Dixie going to do what CovCath has done in the past, that is to only allow the student body to sit in the lower section behind the basket in Rupp? Makes for a much better student cheering section.

The Father/Mother aren't into Sports and in fact only moved into the Walton School District after they found out they were pregnant. They wanted their child to attend a great academic school and considered Walton the best around! Can't argue with that thinking at all. BTW he had no problem with the HS kids being off but thought that it was quite silly to have the 1st graders missing school for a hs basketball game!

I'm guessing they came from a larger school system where there was more of a disconnect between the elementary/middle and high school.