Adam Wainwright injured?

SSC

They haven't always only had 4 or 5 players. Their 24th ranked farm systems is pretty impressive...

Okay that comes into play where in this Adam Wainwright thread? What do you mean "4 or 5 players"? Do the Reds have 10 to 11 players?

It's a huge blow because despite what most people think, Adam Wainwright is the best pitcher in the game. It would be a huge blow to any team in the MLB. If the Reds had a pitcher that could even sniff Wainwright's jock strap and lost him it would be a huge blow to them too.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay that comes into play where in this Adam Wainwright thread? What do you mean "4 or 5 players"? Do the Reds have 10 to 11 players?

It's a huge blow because despite what most people think, Adam Wainwright is the best pitcher in the game. It would be a huge blow to any team in the MLB. If the Reds had a pitcher that could even sniff Wainwright's jock strap and lost him it would be a huge blow to them too.

No he's not. He's an ace, but he's not better than Sabbathia, Lee, Halladay, or King Felix.

The Reds are in a better position for regular season success because if any starting pitcher missed the entire season he could be replaced and there wouldn't be much of a drop off if any. I think the Cards were better positioned for the post season even though they may not have been there even if Wainwright was healthy.

Their farm system comes into play because they have no one to step in the open rotation spot. If any the Reds starters gets hurt, they have 3 players waiting in AAA who all have big league experience to step in without missing a beat. St. Louis simply doesn't have that. Obviously you can't replace Wainwright's numbers, but St. Louis has no one that will come in and even be average. They'll have to hope they can get Kevin Millwood now.

St. Louis rely's on Carpenter, Wainwright, Pujols and Holliday. Cincinnati rely's on their entire starting five because they have no true ace and their starting five has proven they are above average. Offensively, Votto is key...but so is Rolen, Bruce, Phillips, etc. Cincinnati is much deeper than St. Louis. Even you should be able to admit that.

No he's not. He's an ace, but he's not better than Sabbathia, Lee, Halladay, or King Felix.

I disagree. I got this from Bernie Miklasz:

Since May 22 of 2007, Wainwright has the best ERA of any MLB starting pitcher, 2.74. That's right; better than Roy Halladay, Tim Lincecum, any of them. Over the last two seasons, Wainwright ranks No. 1 in the National League in wins (39), innings pitched (463.1) and ERA (2.53), is 4th in winning percentage, and is 5th in opponents' OPS.

I disagree. I got this from Bernie Miklasz:

Since May 22 of 2007, Wainwright has the best ERA of any MLB starting pitcher, 2.74. That's right; better than Roy Halladay, Tim Lincecum, any of them. Over the last two seasons, Wainwright ranks No. 1 in the National League in wins (39), innings pitched (463.1) and ERA (2.53), is 4th in winning percentage, and is 5th in opponents' OPS.

Probably a big reason for his injury.

Their farm system comes into play because they have no one to step in the open rotation spot. If any the Reds starters gets hurt, they have 3 players waiting in AAA who all have big league experience to step in without missing a beat. St. Louis simply doesn't have that. Obviously you can't replace Wainwright's numbers, but St. Louis has no one that will come in and even be average. They'll have to hope they can get Kevin Millwood now.

St. Louis rely's on Carpenter, Wainwright, Pujols and Holliday. Cincinnati rely's on their entire starting five because they have no true ace and their starting five has proved they are above average. Offensively, Votto is key...but so is Rolen, Bruce, Phillips, etc. Cincinnati is much deeper than St. Louis. Even you should be able to admit that.

St. Louis will call on McClellan to be the fifth but they also have Lance Lynn, Adam Octavio, PJ Walters who were all competing for the "6th spot" who could step up. While these guys are unproven it's only because our rotation has been in stone for a few years and there hasn't really been a need for them to come up and pitch. Last year, the farm system put out Garcia who I think it is safe to say was very effective last year. Even without Wainwright I'd still say the rotation is above average.

Cincy is deeper for sure, but I don't think they have superior talent. I think the Cardinals were the favorites in this division. Without Wainwright it is the Reds and Brewers to lose, and I wouldn't bet on the Cardinals. They have more question mark players (Berkman, Garcia, Freese, Rasmus) then solidified players (Pujols, Wainwright, Holliday, Carpenter) and now that a solidified player is out it really hurts. But I also wouldn't rule them out either, maybe they get lucky and those question marks turn out to be good. I mean only look to the 2010 Reds to see that happen.

St. Louis will call on McClellan to be the fifth but they also have Lance Lynn, Adam Octavio, PJ Walters who were all competing for the "6th spot" who could step up. While these guys are unproven it's only because our rotation has been in stone for a few years and there hasn't really been a need for them to come up and pitch. Last year, the farm system put out Garcia who I think it is safe to say was very effective last year. Even without Wainwright I'd still say the rotation is above average.

Cincy is deeper for sure, but I don't think they have superior talent. I think the Cardinals were the favorites in this division. Without Wainwright it is the Reds and Brewers to lose, and I wouldn't bet on the Cardinals. They have more question mark players (Berkman, Garcia, Freese, Rasmus) then solidified players (Pujols, Wainwright, Holliday, Carpenter) and now that a solidified player is out it really hurts. But I also wouldn't rule them out either, maybe they get lucky and those question marks turn out to be good. I mean only look to the 2010 Reds to see that happen.

I completely disagree with the bolded.

But you're right if St. Louis has a few players step up anything can happen over 162 games.

I completely disagree with the bolded.

But you're right if St. Louis has a few players step up anything can happen over 162 games.

Thinking about that your probably right. Probably has too many question marks right now. Carpenter and Westbrook being the only two guys you know what your going to get. Garcia will be huge now for St. Louis. People at camp are echoing he looks bigger and stronger and has thrown very well thus far, but he won't be able to sneak up on batters like he did last year. Also he will have to give more than 163 innings. Lohse is who knows what. Will he be a 2008 Kyle Lohse now that he is healthy and has to step up like he did in 08, or is he just Kyle Lohse, I don't know. Then whoever comes in what impact will they have?

Regardless I put my faith in Dave Duncan and Yadier Molina as they know how to handle a pitching staff just as well as anyone. But you are right they probably shouldn't be regarded as above average right now.

Seriously, even though I hate the Cardinals, I hate to see one of the top pitchers in baseball be injured. At least the Cardinals found out early, and not the middle or end of March? Any ideas what the Cardinals will do if Wainwright is done for the year? Will they look to sign a free agent, (I don't know who is available) make a trade, or do they have somebody in the minors that is ML ready?