Mr. Football Talk

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We know you're both homers for your team and I thought it could be either guy, and that's not including Miles Simpson but I had no problem with Andrews getting it considering what he did for his team.

Just exactly who did you refer to when you said "you're both"?

I do know that only one of the guys mentioned from last year are getting playing time on a major D1 team week in and week out. And that is AC at ND.

At the risk of turning this into a "who should have won Mr. Football" thread instead of the original topic; here goes.

I've already stated the above mentioned player should have been considered more heavily than he probably was. But the award is based on a High School career or season, not on what they do 1,2 or 4 years from now.

As to the aforementioned player's current career at ND, here are his team stats for the season to this date: http://espn.go.com/ncf/player/stats?playerId=500910

He must be logging time but do 6 tackles over 10 games sound like it's "major time"? :idunno:

If it's based on that criteria then why wasn't Jordan Aumiller considered more 3 seasons ago? He's at UK with 18 catches averaging 10.7 per catch with 1 TD? He's doing that as Redshirt Freshman. :idunno:

Back to this year. Everyone mentioned is deserving of consideration and has had outstanding years. But only one will get named which will leave us all the time to post on here about who we thought should have received the honor. :thumb:

We're fortunate to have several great candidates for the award this year. Even better, they all appear to be great kids. I know Demarcus Smith personally and he's an outstanding young man. From all accounts Lamar Dawson is as well. I've watched Devonte Parker closely the last couple years and he is a great young man.

I admit to being biased, but I think the award should go to Devonte Parker. He had one of the best seasons for a wide reciever in the history of Kentucky High School football. 1793 yards in a season ranks him 4th all time and he only played 12 games. Parker averaged 149.4 yards per game, which is more than the three guys ahead of him for receiving yards [Jordan Burk (141.8 yards per game), John Cole (135.4 yards per game), and Jamarielle Brown (134.7 yards per game)]. Parker averaged an incredible 26.4 yards per catch, breaking the school record by about 6 yards per catch. Ballard high school keeps 12 school records for receiving, Devonte Parket now holds 9 of them. The only ones he does not hold are for number of catches in a game, season, and carear. Parker did all this playing against the BEST competition the state of Kentucky has to offer (Trinity, St. X twice, Male, Central, Western, etc.) Parker was pulled from games early when the outcome was decided. He had no second half catches against PRP or Meade and none after the first quarter against Madison Central.

I'm not sure how much it matters to voters, but much is made on message boards about which schools have offered a particular player. A few players in the state have some impressive offers. Each of those players has participated in combines, gone to college camps, made college visits etc. There's nothing wrong with any of that. Parker has not done that stuff. He has not been timed in the 40 since he ran a 4.49 as a soph on a laser timer. Rivals still lists Parker at 6'2". He's 6'4" now. Parker has known all along that he wanted to stay close to home. He made the tough decision between U of L and UK early. At that point, he stopped playing the recruiting game. Quite frankly, I don't think he wanted the all the attention that comes with recruiting. He's just a humble kid who is happy with his choice to stay near his family. I certainly hope that doesn't hurt him with voters. If it were me, I'd wallpaper my room with offers from the best football program in the country, but that's not Devonte.

One of the many things that impressed me about Parker when he played Trinity over his career was that he was not afraid to go over the middle and take hits. I don't think he has a Diva bone in his body. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see him starting for UL next year.

DaMarcus Smith from Seneca, going to Louisville next year - the best single talent at his position in the state, period. If you have seen him play, which going by this thread you haven't, you would not have any doubts. All of the above kids are fine players but Smith is the only reason Seneca won or competed for wins this year.

DaMarcus Smith from Seneca, going to Louisville next year - the best single talent at his position in the state, period. If you have seen him play, which going by this thread you haven't, you would not have any doubts. All of the above kids are fine players but Smith is the only reason Seneca won or competed for wins this year.

I saw several of Seneca's games this year. I agree that Smith is a great talent, but he is not the only reason for their success this year. They were 5-6 with Smith. Last year, they were 4-7 without him. They have a D-1 receiver in Fluellan. Bender, Lott, Garth, etc. are all good athletes. One of their o-line guys in getting D-1 attention. They were not a one man show.

AC starts on every special team at ND as a true frosh..Not to be bad for a skinny slow kid that wasn't very good during his high school career..:lol:

And was a two time All State player at two different positions, and that was as a Sophmore and Junior. Switched positions his SR. year and lead them to a State Title.

At the risk of turning this into a "who should have won Mr. Football" thread instead of the original topic; here goes.

I've already stated the above mentioned player should have been considered more heavily than he probably was. But the award is based on a High School career or season, not on what they do 1,2 or 4 years from now.

As to the aforementioned player's current career at ND, here are his team stats for the season to this date: http://espn.go.com/ncf/player/stats?playerId=500910

He must be logging time but do 6 tackles over 10 games sound like it's "major time"? :idunno:

If it's based on that criteria then why wasn't Jordan Aumiller considered more 3 seasons ago? He's at UK with 18 catches averaging 10.7 per catch with 1 TD? He's doing that as Redshirt Freshman. :idunno:

Back to this year. Everyone mentioned is deserving of consideration and has had outstanding years. But only one will get named which will leave us all the time to post on here about who we thought should have received the honor. :thumb:

I didn't say "Major Time" Hatz. I said playing time at a "Major D1 team". Big difference. ND may not be very good, but they are still a major program in college football as far as I know.