Mr. Football Talk

I watched Dawson at JC this year and My vote is Dawson. I don't know what the actual written criteria for Mr. Football is but I've always thought it was simply THE BEST player (senior) in KY. With that being said, there is no question that if we could all hand pick an all star team from the KY seniors that most people that have watched Dawson would definitely pick him first. He's a defensive player that requires o-coordinators to actually game plan around him. Even then you can't stop him. Athletically he's got good height for his position, he's one of the fastest backers in the state, players he's hit talk about his strength, and on top of all of that he actually plays very fundamentally sound and disciplined ball. I hate that his team beat JC but he earned my respect and if I had one my vote.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he's the beast LB from Boyle County, I agree with Fat Albert. He's the best defensive player from Ky in a long time. I heard he signed with UK. Sure hope so.

Lamar hasn't chosen a school yet and has stated he won't until early January.

Maybe at the Army All-American Bowl Game.

I watched Dawson at JC this year and My vote is Dawson. I don't know what the actual written criteria for Mr. Football is but I've always thought it was simply THE BEST player (senior) in KY. With that being said, there is no question that if we could all hand pick an all star team from the KY seniors that most people that have watched Dawson would definitely pick him first. He's a defensive player that requires o-coordinators to actually game plan around him. Even then you can't stop him. Athletically he's got good height for his position, he's one of the fastest backers in the state, players he's hit talk about his strength, and on top of all of that he actually plays very fundamentally sound and disciplined ball. I hate that his team beat JC but he earned my respect and if I had one my vote.

I think a big part of the equation is the candidate/winner commits to a KY school and not an out of state school. I would be interested to know the last 10 Mr Football and what college they picked.

Because imo THE BEST did not win Mr Football last yr. JMO. Go Birds 20n10

Lamar Dawson is the best college prospect in the state with offers from Southern Cal, Florida, Oregon, Michigan, Tennessee, Louisville, and Kentucky. However, it is often difficult for a defensive player to win it. But, his stats are phenomenal and he is a 4 star/top 100 recruit nationally. 6' 2", 235 MLB that could play TE or DE in college. He was under the radar nationally until he attended the NIKE camp in Michigan this previous summer. Just as a plus, he has a GPA above 3 and has qualified on the SAT/ACT. I'm sure that has helped with offers. He would be a huge commitment for Louisville or Kentucky. I hope we can keep him instate........

Lamar Dawson is the best college prospect in the state with offers from Southern Cal, Florida, Oregon, Michigan, Tennessee, Louisville, and Kentucky. However, it is often difficult for a defensive player to win it. But, his stats are phenomenal and he is a 4 star/top 100 recruit nationally. 6' 2", 235 MLB that could play TE or DE in college. He was under the radar nationally until he attended the NIKE camp in Michigan this previous summer. Just as a plus, he has a GPA above 3 and has qualified on the SAT/ACT. I'm sure that has helped with offers. He would be a huge commitment for Louisville or Kentucky. I hope we can keep him instate........

I think the camp was at Ohio State. Not that it matters. Except to Buckeye fans I suppose.

I think a big part of the equation is the candidate/winner commits to a KY school and not an out of state school. I would be interested to know the last 10 Mr Football and what college they picked.

Ask and ye shall receive. :D

2000 Montrell Jones (Male) University of Tennessee / University of Louisville

2001 Jeff Duggins (Boyle County) Alford State, NY

2002 Michael Bush (Male) University of Louisville

2003 Brian Brohm (Trinity (Louisville)) University of Louisville

2004 Curtis Pulley (Hopkinsville) University of Kentucky

2005 Micah Johnson (Ft. Campbell) University of Kentucky

2006 Douglas Beaumont (Male) University of Louisville

2007 Corey Robinson (Lone Oak) Troy University

2008 Rolandan “Deuce” Finch (St. Xavier) Boston College

2009 Antonio Andrews (Fort Campbell)

Your theory holds some weight but there are a few who went elsewhere.

What hurt Collinsworth was missing those couple of games due to injury. I think he was worthy as well. :thumb:

Ask and ye shall receive. :D

2000 Montrell Jones (Male) University of Tennessee / University of Louisville

2001 Jeff Duggins (Boyle County) Alford State, NY

2002 Michael Bush (Male) University of Louisville

2003 Brian Brohm (Trinity (Louisville)) University of Louisville

2004 Curtis Pulley (Hopkinsville) University of Kentucky

2005 Micah Johnson (Ft. Campbell) University of Kentucky

2006 Douglas Beaumont (Male) University of Louisville

2007 Corey Robinson (Lone Oak) Troy University

2008 Rolandan “Deuce” Finch (St. Xavier) Boston College

2009 Antonio Andrews (Fort Campbell)

Your theory holds some weight but there are a few who went elsewhere.

What hurt Collinsworth was missing those couple of games due to injury. I think he was worthy as well. :thumb:

Where is Andrews playing at? Western Ky?

Unless he has changed his mind, Lamar recently said during an online chat that he may wait until the signing period in February to announce his choice instead of at the All Star game in January. He wants to make the right decision and take all of his official visits if I am not mistaken.

He was at the camp at Ohio State where he won the MVP award for the linebackers and impressed people so much at the camp that he was a thumbnail picture for the feature story on the camp on espn.com.

Rivals has him at #54 on their top 100 list.

Early speculation is that he will end up Oregon or Florida. Which is where he should go. Or USC. The Louisville fans I talk to who know him think he will go there. The UK fans I talk to think he will go there. I hope he goes out of state to a big time BCS school and shuts up all the haters who think he can't excel at a big time school unless he is at UK or UL. My gut says he goes to UK, unfortunately, but we shall see.

Jude-what's funny is that he was at about 65% the JC game due to turf toe. He is fully healthy now.

Again, I think Parker will win Mr. Football. I hope Lamar does. He is easily the best college and pro prospect of this class but that is not the criteria for Mr. Football and I won't be near as mad if he doesn't win it as I was about Rees Macshara last year.

To me it should go to JJ Jude. Biggest numbers in state as far as offense broke records this year and a sound defensive player as well.

JJ Jude is a Junior. Since the award goes to a Senior he is therefore ineligible this year.

Glad that is just your opinion and you really didn't have a vote.