Top Seniors in NKY

Cuban Missile

In saying this Coach Sander does go out of his way for kids and is a great person, the only different is the Mustangs played in alot of showcases where alot of Colleges were watching.

They are a very competitive team. They travel most of the summer to play in big time tournaments. My son plays against there younger groups of teams and the younger teams are the exact same way. Very competitve travel baseball in the Morse Mustangs Org.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If a player is good enough, they will be found....communication travels very fast these days.

So your saying that if a kid is good enough he does not have to play in showcases or travel they will find him. I really don't think that is true alot of schools don't have the money to travel to see everybody so that is why showcases are so important and playing traveling ball. You may be right if the kid is a D-1 player but not every kid is a D-1 player.

If a player is good enough, they will be found....communication travels very fast these days.

That statement is not true anymore, college coaches don't have the money in there budgets or time,(when they are in the middle of their own season) to go see a HS game and see one player, when they can go to a showcase or large summer or fall tournament and see 50 to 100 talented HS kids. Its just the way its done now.

If that were true about kids being good enough they will be found, then why do parents pay out all that money for there kids to play traveling ball and drive all over for fall baseball showcases and why would almost every College have one,it save the Schools money and time. At one showcase they will have many different Schools attending not just the School hosting.

That statement is not true anymore, college coaches don't have the money in there budgets or time,(when they are in the middle of their own season) to go see a HS game and see one player, when they can go to a showcase or large summer or fall tournament and see 50 to 100 talented HS kids. Its just the way its done now.

My statement was very general in nature and I'm for (just about) anything that helps the players get to the next level.

With that said, there are usually no secrets when it comes to the top tier players.

In saying this Coach Sander does go out of his way for kids and is a great person, the only different is the Mustangs played in alot of showcases where alot of Colleges were watching.

If you are referring to his previous summer coach Rob Sanders I can personally attest to this being completely false. There are much better coaches out there and organizations that can help with getting the kids recognized by higher level schools and coaches. He is very self-centered and cares nothing about the kids. Bluegrass Baseball has diminished in talent and also the quality of coaching in the organization.

The first part of your statement is erroneous. College coaches have networks all over, and with the advent of file sharing through video phones (the new iPhone has HD video which can be immediately emailed), Flip video, and 3 and 4 G networks, it has never been easier for a player to get exposure. College programs at all levels are spending more and more money each year on recruiting....as budgets have been reduced in many cases, recruiting coffers have remained well stocked. After all, recruiting is the crux of all college programs' existence. The second part of your statement is somewhat true, however. Showcases and summer tournaments are extremely beneficial. That being said, recruiters go to tournaments that are in areas that are easily accessible and the talent is good across the board. Tournaments in Cincinnati (TOC hosted by the Flames), Lexington (Kentucky Baseball Club / Pastime), and of course the big Perfect Game events in Atlanta give kids a chance to be seen by a variety of professional and college scouts. Kids can and will be found, but the expectations have changed. Now, recruiting cycles are MUCH earlier than in years past. Many schools are already done recruiting for 2011, and are getting verbal commitments for 2012. So, the perception that kids are being "overlooked" sometimes results from people's expectations being too great at too young an age. The upper echelon players get seen and get offers as Juniors, and late bloomers feel like they're getting neglected.

Colleges can not talk to Junior until after July of there Junior year, and the early signing is Nov, so no way are Juniors getting offers. Just this past summer a School came and watched a player an could not talk to him because it was before July 1.

Colleges can not talk to Junior until after July of there Junior year, and the early signing is Nov, so no way are Juniors getting offers. Just this past summer a School came and watched a player an could not talk to him because it was before July 1.

You can get an offer any time.

Engineer, either you didn't understand what i was trying to say or I don't understand what you are saying, I think the best way to get noticed, unless you are a high level D1 or pro propect is to go the rout of summer and fall ball and showcases. Is that what you said or do you think the good player(D2, D3 or NAIA) will get noticed by just playing HS ball in the spring?

Colleges cannot call kids who aren't past July 1st before their senior year, but kids can contact colleges, and colleges can email kids. When kids are on campus, they can be verbally offered scholarships, and can verbally accept them. There have been several sophomores in the area who have been offered and accepted scholarships as sophomores.

Engineer, either you didn't understand what i was trying to say or I don't understand what you are saying, I think the best way to get noticed, unless you are a high level D1 or pro propect is to go the rout of summer and fall ball and showcases. Is that what you said or do you think the good player(D2, D3 or NAIA) will get noticed by just playing HS ball in the spring?

I think it's a crap shoot. But, like you said, many smaller colleges get a better chance to see players' skill sets through summer exposure. That being said, the network of college scouting during the high school season IS getting better. However, I would definitely agree that kids who attend showcases AND who play higher profile summer tournaments are more likely to be seen than kids who rely strictly on HS seasons.